Maple Leafs PP is embarrasing (Babs rips into assitant)

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
The PP is absolutely loaded with talent having the main unit consist of Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Rielly, and Kadri. They were red hot to start the year but since December have been at the bottom of league, and their PP has fallen to 21st in the league.

There has been 0 changes to the PP outside of splitting them into two units for 2 games before putting things back. It's become predictable and is a massive flaw in the team heading into the playoffs. At what point are there changes made? Jim Hiller is in charge of the PP and last night after yet another disgusting PP this was the scene on the bench

What do people think about this?

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
How much ice time does PP1 get compared to PP2? I know in Boston it's about 1:20 for PP1 then PP2 just comes out when they're tired.

Perhaps switching up Kadri for Nylander would be a good idea? Not sure how productive Kadri is on the PP though, just thinking out loud.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
who knows what they were even saying? but yes, the Leafs PP is struggling at the moment and it's a systems issue in my opinion

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Load up on the top unit.

OhjadgB.png

The go to play should be Marner to Matthews seam pass, like this. If that option is taken away, there's still too much talent to have on ne of hte best PP in the league. I think the lack of opportunites is an issue too. They have some of the fewest PPO, need more chances to get their bearings.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
How much ice time does PP1 get compared to PP2? I know in Boston it's about 1:20 for PP1 then PP2 just comes out when they're tired.

Perhaps switching up Kadri for Nylander would be a good idea? Not sure how productive Kadri is on the PP though, just thinking out loud.

This is what is frustrating. It is one thing to not overreact but when your PP is near the bottom of the league for almost half the season perhaps TRY switching guys on the units or even switching where they stand? Before they were getting about 45 seconds of the PP but lately he has been playing them 1:30 at least.

Reactions: Emerz

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
I don't.

Fans of 30 other teams likely don't care either.

Why are you posting in a thread you don't care about? Move along if this is the case. There is actually a story here and for someone like Babs who is so known for being stoic and calm no matter what it's very odd to see him go off on him like that.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
27th overall in the league since November 30th.

Part of it has to do with the fact that they are last in the league in the PP's for the past two years. They get very little opportunity in-game to work out the kinks in real time. At the same time, there have been no changes to the unit that is clearly struggling.

Load up on the top unit.

OhjadgB.png

The go to play should be Marner to Matthews seam pass, like this. If that option is taken away, there's still too much talent to have on ne of hte best PP in the league. I think the lack of opportunites is an issue too. They have some of the fewest PPO, need more chances to get their bearings.

This is literally their current set-up. Clearly not working. Its not the talent, its the utter lack of adjustments by Jim Hiller. The PP formation hasn't changed once.

Reactions: BHD and NHL WAR

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Their problem is not having a shooter anyone really fears.

Matthews and Tavares are great goal scorers but that is mostly in front of the net.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
It's funny, cause no matter how much talent the Stars load their top unit up with it always seems to suck too. We have 1 guy that shoots the puck and that's it (Seguin) and his shot is mostly weak from the distance he shoots at

I think it has something to do with good players being married to the pretty passing plays

Preds powerplay is stacked and trash too

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Their problem is not having a shooter anyone really fears.

Matthews and Tavares are great goal scorers but that is mostly in front of the net.
hey man, i like pooping on the leafs just as much as the next guy but calling Matthews "a shooter nobody fears" is just.....sigh

ya know leafs fans are annoying but i get why they're annoying

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad