The Star: Maple Leafs never in on Tomas Vokoun

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2013/02/05/nhl_maple_leafs_never_in_on_tomas_vokoun.html

tomas_vokoun.jpg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpg

Vokoun was drafted by Montreal in 1994, played for the expansion Nashville Predators, then moved on to the Florida Panthers. Always deemed a No. 1 goalie, he signed a one-year deal with the Washington Capitals last year.

By the time the playoffs rolled around, Vokoun was hurt and lost his job to Braden Holtby.

As July 1 free agency approached, Caps general manager George McPhee let Vokoun talk to any team he wanted. The Penguins intrigued him the most. The Penguins traded for his rights and then signed him.

“I want to be in a winning atmosphere,†said Vokoun. “I haven’t (had) that for quite some time.â€

Many thought the Maple Leafs should have have gone after Vokoun, either in 2011 or last summer when the Caps made it known they were going with Holtby and Michal Neuvirth. Vokoun says the Leafs were never on his radar.

“I never got any offers from Toronto,†said Vokoun. “There were some rumours, even this year, but Toronto was never one of the teams.â€

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
“I want to be in a winning atmosphere,” said Vokoun. “I haven’t (had) that for quite some time.”

Sounds like he wasn't even going to consider an offer from Toronto.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The Leafs didn't want him and he didn't want the Leafs. What's the relevance of this article?

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
In his prior trip to free agency, it was reported that Vokoun approached the Leafs looking for a job and Burke said no. No, I do not have a link, look it up yourself.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Sounds like he wasn't even going to consider an offer from Toronto.

This was obvious when he signed with Washington the year before for 1 year at 1.5 per.

Silly him, he didn't realize he wasn't going to win a cup with Ovie has his team's captain.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
In his prior trip to free agency, it was reported that Vokoun approached the Leafs looking for a job and Burke said no. No, I do not have a link, look it up yourself.

You value what some random reporter said with no source more than what Vokoun says himself?

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
So now the media seems to have given up on Luongo now they dredge this up. Doesn't look like Nonis is going to be swayed from the goalie route we are on this season no matter how much these guys want it changed. Good for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad