Sportsnet: Maple Leafs must add proven defenders, move on from all-offence identity

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Our defense is too crappy. Having Ceci in the top 6 and basically putting him on the top pair with Rielly is pretty horrible. The guy is a #6 at best, but he was being used in a top 4 role. And when we lost Muzzin we had to go with Marincin. So we had two pretty bad defenders. Barrie didn't look all that good. We basically had Rielly and Muzzin as our only two good defenders. Holl was solid, but he's no superstar or anything. So when Muzzin went down, we basically had Rielly as our only good defender. I would have rather rolled the dice a little bit and gone with Sandin and Liljegren.
Holl is a 6/7 too ... basically we played CBJ's with a #2 defense on offensive side in Rielly and sweet f*** ... you can't win with such an abysmal defense group ... adding kids like Dermy Sandin and Lily was not going to help yet as they are nowhere near ready for top 4 utilization

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
I do and I dealt with this on another post.
Skill and comp (correlated) is not normally distributed. It is distributed via a pareto distribution curve.
Speculation: - Marner or Nylander?
Interesting I agree with you that you should play a premium for elite talent but you can only afford so many Pareto players.

Where do you draw the line? A team can only afford 6 Marner's and stuff the rest with sub 1m players.

I guess you're fine with 3 forwards. I probably would be too if the league-wide salary ranking of those 3 reasonably matched their skill/contribution ranking but I just don't see that with Marner and we'll be stuck with a flat cap for a couple years minimum.

I guess it is only a 4m drop from Marner to Nylander but I'd rather spend that on defence especially if Pietrangelo is willing to come home.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Interesting I agree with you that you should play a premium for elite talent but you can only afford so many Pareto players.

Where do you draw the line? A team can only afford 6 Marner's and stuff the rest with sub 1m players.

I guess you're fine with 3 forwards. I probably would be too if the league-wide salary ranking of those 3 reasonably matched their skill/contribution ranking but I just don't see that with Marner and we'll be stuck with a flat cap for a couple years minimum.

I guess it is only a 4m drop from Marner to Nylander but I'd rather spend that on defence especially if Pietrangelo is willing to come home.

Cody Ceci+Barrie=6.75mm
Johnnson 3.4MM
Nylander 7mm

You attempt to move Nylander for a young rhd like an Evan Bouchard. Will have to sweeten the deal likely because Oilers still need a D and Bouchard is a stud. Throw in Liljegren.
Maybe an overpay but that is 1 RHD who will play next year at .9MM and for many years to come.
Move to get Pietrangelo. Have plenty of dough for that. That is 2 RHD that have been filled.
Dmen...rielly, Pietrangello, Muzzin, Bouchard, Sandin, Dermott, Lehtonen and someone else not named marincin
We have lots of wingers who can fill Willys spot

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
Cody Ceci+Barrie=6.75mm
Johnnson 3.4MM
Nylander 7mm

You attempt to move Nylander for a young rhd like an Evan Bouchard. Will have to sweeten the deal likely because Oilers still need a D and Bouchard is a stud. Throw in Liljegren.
Maybe an overpay but that is 1 RHD who will play next year at .9MM and for many years to come.
Move to get Pietrangelo. Have plenty of dough for that. That is 2 RHD that have been filled.
Dmen...rielly, Pietrangello, Muzzin, Bouchard, Sandin, Dermott, Lehtonen and someone else not named marincin
We have lots of wingers who can fill Willys spot
I'd probably be down for that. Altho you do have to factor in our player raises for Muzz, Campbell, Holl and Engvall =4.3m. Plus Derm and Soupy but hopefully they don't get much more. We'd need to pay for 3 new forwards which is atleast 2m.

It would just about fit but means we can't spend anywhere else like getting in some better defensive 3rd-4th liners.
Freddie obvo walks next year but is pretty tight to give warranted raises for Hyman and Rielly then.

Means over half our cap is tied up in 4 players tho: AM, JT, MM, Pietr. For now I'd still rather move Marner which give us more flexibility.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
This org will never build a solid defensive system with proper defencemen because quite frankly it’s not marketable.
This is a very interesting take ... it has been 60+ years since we had best defense in league ... i still hope we can build one but it requires a philosophy change and it takes forever ... Leaf fans can't handle da 5-7 year development path so maybe we have to always BUY guys which is costly in a CAP world ... it was much easier to do it in non CAP world .. today where you are looking for a vet D core at same time as your young forwards are in ELC/bridge deals

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
It's a fair point. I'm just not sold on Sandin and Timmy solving the defensive depth issue or what we need up front, at least not yet.
It depends on who else they bring in to help out on the blue line, I genuinely do believe we'll see some big moves to help out the defence. We have Muzzin, Holl, Rielly and Dermott as the Leafs NHL ready defenseman for next season. I think Sandin can slot in fine if the Leafs bring in another defenseman more closer to Muzzin's style of play to help balance things. I'm not of the belief the Leafs need a 9+ million defencemen on the blue line to play with Rielly. I think its possible, the Leafs will revisit the idea of trading Kapanen to Carolina too

Reactions: Just Rude

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
They don't need to move their top forwards, or "change their identity", they just need to pay the top guys less, so they have more for the rest of the roster

During the cap era, how many teams have won a cup with so many guys making so much dough? Zero.

Pittsburgh won in 2009 with Crosby making serious dough, but he was the only one, AND they had Malkin/Staal on ELC's.

After Malkin + Crosby both had their humangous deals, Pittsburgh didn't win a thing for many, many years. And still, they were only 2 guys.

Toronto has 3 very, very expensive guys.

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
We won't know until they are given a chance and have some miles under them.

Development doesn't end, especially for defenders, at 21.
I’m not suggesting otherwise. We need some help while we see if they are good enough.

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
No?

Why are we focusing on defense in a series that the Leafs gave up very few good chances to the Jackets? Lets face it. If Andersen is the Jackets goalie, Leafs win this series easily.

They need to figure out what went wrong with the offense and why it was shut out twice in a 5 game series.

They need to move certain types of similar wingers like one of Nylander or Marner, two of Mikheyev, Johnsson, Kapanen, etc.

We need 2-3 more Hyman type wingers on the team so that when the going gets tough, they don't stop playing.
So they don’t need to build around defenders but need to move one of their offensive wingers and add 2-3 wingers like Hyman who provide more off the puck than on the puck? That’s a very conflicting statement

goleafsgo1990

Feb 7, 2012
Holl is a 6/7 too ... basically we played CBJ's with a #2 defense on offensive side in Rielly and sweet f*** ... you can't win with such an abysmal defense group ... adding kids like Dermy Sandin and Lily was not going to help yet as they are nowhere near ready for top 4 utilization

Dubas is bullish on this D though, maybe next year they go beast mode?..Not.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

goleafsgo1990

Feb 7, 2012

Sandin and Lilly will never be shutdown dmen.

They'll be middling offensive/two-way puck movers that get physically outmatched easily. Maybe safe on the bottom pairing but I wouldn't expect to win a cup with them in your top 4 unless you're Pitts with 2 x generational centers. We are the pits, there's a big difference.

We need to stop obtaining players who missed puberty or can't handle physical/mental pressure.

It's time to quit messing around, we need players who can play playoff hockey or else we'll continue spinning the tires.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Sandin and Lilly will never be shutdown dmen.

They'll be middling offensive/two-way puck movers that get physically outmatched easily. Maybe safe on the bottom pairing but I wouldn't expect to win a cup with them in your top 4 unless you're Pitts with 2 x generational centers. We are the pits, there's a big difference.

We need to stop obtaining players who missed puberty or can't handle physical/mental pressure.

It's time to quit messing around, we need players who can play playoff hockey or else we'll continue spinning the tires.
We need a defense and a goalie who can go 5OT's deep to WIN and do what it takes ... offense even #1 offense in NHL can't get it done either when neutral zone gets trapped, centre ice taken away and defense blocks shots ... da formula has not changed much except game is faster

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
We need a defense and a goalie who can go 5OT's deep to WIN and do what it takes ... offense even #1 offense in NHL can't get it done either when neutral zone gets trapped, centre ice taken away and defense blocks shots ... da formula has not changed much except game is faster
Yep, there's a reason why the expression 'defense wins championships' is widely understood.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

No but there is a difference developing with solid support above in a focused system rather than being asked to play a level above because you make 800K on a cap flat team.

Reactions: Buds17

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Yep, there's a reason why the expression 'defense wins championships' is widely understood.
I think da message will get delivered harshly to Shanny/Dubie at MLSE board mtg ... da guys who are funding this org are guys like you and me ... our kids may have a different voice but they are bystanders ... they don't buy tickets, they don't fork out a hundo per game on drinks/merch, they don't pay da sponsorships ... and even these young kids turn off NHL once our Leafs are done and they are players themselves ... talk about double speak

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Leafs: give up 2.4 GAA (9th best of 24), but only only muster 2 goals a game (18th of 24)
Media: need to do less O and more D

Idiots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad