News Article: Maple Leafs Hot Stove - Analyzing Toronto Maple Leafs Trade Options

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I agree with getting assets for Barrie. But if the Leafs ends up missing the playoffs, Dubas pretty much signed his ticket out of town. If Leafs managed to make the playoffs but lose the 1st round again, once again people will wonder only if Barrie is around, that’s excluding Barrie having a great playoffs.
I think if Barrie still play like when Babs was around, trade him and for assets but the way he is playing now and Reilly being out, don’t see the point of trading him unless another Dman is coming back.
The idea of trading him is based on getting a defenseman back. Ideally a defensive 2 way rhd with a plus.
Barrie is playing well, but his points wont be missed as much since we have so many options for scoring. As long as the player we get is mobile and can move the puck with skill it shouldn't affect the team much offensively, whereas if said player is better defensively, they may help bring down our GAA.
Overall I think that would be a gain and with an added + in the trade, we win again.
It is a risky move yes, but all of them are risky. If they do nothing, people will say they should have done something. How many posters were so angry they didnt trade Gardiner last year?
Imo I don't think Dubas is on the hot seat this year. Babcock era dig a hole, but once Dubas' guy was made the coach, the leafs have been playing like a top end team. I think despite the outcome of this year, Dubas has at least enough slack to see the next season.

Reactions: Dr C

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
A solid defensive 2 way RHD who can play top pairing minutes and fill the hole left by Rielly and Barrie? AND a second round pick, for Barrie?

Yeah, sure, I'll do that. Not remotely realistic though.
Fair my trade values are lousy, but I do think offensive defensemen are considered more valuable in a trade, so I would think there is a plus.
Also I would say he is replacing rielly AND Barrie, just Barrie. Hopefully long term he's playing with rielly

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Demers is garbage.

Savard, Manson and Larsson are all big, relatively physical, RHS, defensive defensemen with 1.5 years left. They're who we should target if we're not going for a long-term solution.
Those other three have been real bad this year too though.

I'd wait until the offseason. See if you can add a truly elite guy like a Pietrangelo or Doughty level of player and if not maybe circle back to some of these other options.

Rielly-
Sandin-Liljegren
Dermott-Holl
Marincin

-Depending what Dermott gets you have 6 of your 7 defense locked in for between $9.5M and $12.5M. Gives us a tonne of flexibility without having to move guys like Johnsson/Kerfoot/Kapanen first.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Fair my trade values are lousy, but I do think offensive defensemen are considered more valuable in a trade, so I would think there is a plus.
Also I would say he is replacing rielly AND Barrie, just Barrie. Hopefully long term he's playing with rielly

You can say what you want but Rielly is not playing.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Please no to Dumba. I dont think some here realise what a tire fire he is defensively. Isnt the point to get better in our own zone? Larsson is probably the most realistic target. Manson or Vatanen would be great but the cost is likely too high. I'd be open to dealing Barrie for another D, not for picks/prospects. Hell, include a 3rd team if need be. If Barrie could be turned into Manson, that'd be a win for us, even if we had to sweeten the deal.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I'm not sure what you mean here?
I said long term, meaning when rielly comes back.

The point is that Rielly isn't playing and we need good defenseman to play for the team. Downgrading on Barrie is the opposite of what we need.

It boggles my mind that you want that.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
The point is that Rielly isn't playing and we need good defenseman to play for the team. Downgrading on Barrie is the opposite of what we need.

It boggles my mind that you want that.
I don't see it as a downgrade. I see it as lateral. A sacrifice for Barrie's points but getting a better defensive minded player.
Personally I don't see that as a downgrade. I see that as making the team more balanced which would give us a better chance at winning and going deeper into the playoffs.
If you don't see it that way, that's fine, we agree to disagree, but don't for a second think I want our team to get worse. That's a ridiculous statement.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Manson and Dumba are popular options but I'm surprised there isn't more chatter around Hainsey.

He could be a decent 'Plan B' that the team could stick with Rielly and know what they're going to get.

Cheap too.

Provided the Sens take back Ceci then sure. I don’t get how the Toronto media thinks that he is anything but a bottom pairing Defenceman. Even then he gets exposed almost every game. When in his own end it’s like the puck is a grenade and he is afraid it will go off. Dermott seems to have to bail him out time and time again.

If any GM is stupid enough to give this guy more that 1.5-2 they are gonna regret it.

As for Hainsey as long as it’s a late round pick I have no issue if there are no trades to be made. It’s not ideal but we know there is no commitment and he is a good locker room guy. Basically all I would want him to do 90% of the time is clear out the front of the net and stay at centre ice.

The way this team is playing I think just stabilizing Reilly’s play will make a vast improvement of the team overall.

Reilly Hainsey
Muzzin Barrie
Dermott Holl

Each pair has a defensively focused D, our PP would be Reilly or Barrie and PK would be Muzzin and Holl.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
I really do think Adam Larsson is the most likely candidate.

Oilers need help for McDavid/Leon. Larsson is apparently the guy they’d like to use to get that done.

It’s been said plenty of times, but a base of Johnsson + Bracco + whatever for Larsson + Puljujarvi would make sense.

Oilers add two wingers that are cheap and can play right away. Leafs get Larsson for the playoff run and next year, and look to deal with Puljujarvi in the summer (whether it be signing him or flipping him elsewhere)
Pretty sure they have that hey want Kapanen and not Johnsson. But if they could get Larsson for AJ I’m down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad