Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs hire Mike Babcock for reported 8 years, $50 million

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I think Babcock has certainly proven himself.

All I will say though is things could go south. With an ego that big, conflicts will certainly rise up, and I'm not sure how boatloads of conflict from all directions are going to be avoided in Toronto.

My feeling is it's either going to go really, really well or will be an utter disaster. I'd be telling a gross lie if I said I wouldn't enjoy the latter.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I don`t doubt that Babcock is of the top coaches, but since the Cup finals in 08/09, hasn`t made it out of the 2nd round

Great Olympic success which can`t be taken away from him but that price tag is, IMO, insane

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I don`t doubt that Babcock is in the top 5 coaches, but since the Cup finals in 08/09, hasn`t made it out of the 2nd round

Great Olympic success which can`t be taken away from him but that price tag is, IMO, insane

With Team Canada stacked with talent, I think that almost any other NHL coach would have done as well as Babcock.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
With Team Canada stacked with talent, I think that almost any other NHL coach would have done as well as Babcock.

disagree, there are a lot of coaches who would have let that team play hog wild, pond hockey, he and his coaching staff made a clear decision that D-first would win on the big ice and he got the boys to buy in

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Considering the Leafs are eating Nathan Horton's contract willingly, I am not surprised they shelled out a huge amount for someone probably considered the league's best coach.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Good for him cashing in with that much money and over such a long term.

I hope the leafs crash and burn with him in charge.

Nothing personal

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
"It's not about the money!"

kwtld5-b78598469z.120100125123755000ge4m4tke.1.jpg

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Babcock to the Leafs, Eichel to Buffalo, Florida on the rise. Man, our division looks a lot tougher than it did not too long ago

I was going to say pretty much the same thing.

Babcock and those prospects they have and are going to get :help: I have zero intrest on how much he will make, I'm more scared that how will we compete soon.

I hope our boys will wake up or in 2-3 years we are a bottom team.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Good for Toronto, but they need more than an A+ coach to turn that dumpster fire around.

Three Dog

Apr 12, 2015
Good move for Toronto. I don't perceive him as a God like the media (and a lot of fans) seem to. I'm not even sure where that comes from. ...but good coach nonetheless.

...it will be interesting to see what else they do in the off season, because that says to me that they may be getting aggressive with roster moves as well.

...and if thats the case, I feel good about Sweeney now being at the helm for the Bruins. (not because I'm wanting leaf players...)

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
Right now he is the lipstick and TO isn't called hog town for nothing. Interesting to see who will get wads of cash thrown at him to be their GM? Good for TO, they got cash to burn.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Do the Leafs ever learn? I still hold faith in my pre deadline dream of Kessel coming back to Boston :laugh: Gee Wally was quick to shoot it down but are the stars starting to allign ;) ?

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
Babcock to the Leafs, Eichel to Buffalo, Florida on the rise. Man, our division looks a lot tougher than it did not too long ago

I think even with Babcock, the Leafs are going to stink for a little while (which by the way, is a ridiculous contract). Eichel is not going to save Buffalo overnight, even though he will give them some scoring.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Apparently he has an opt out clause after the fifth year and its heavily front loaded.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I never heard of a coach that is tremendous and overrated at the same time.

I have a pet peeve about the whole underrated overrated thing... I mean wayne greatzy was horribly overrated the final 10 years of his career. he was still a great playmaker and usually finished near the top 10 in scoring but he wasn't crushing the league anymore once he reached 30 years of age. people still called him the greatest player in the world though.

in truth gretzky wasn't even a top 5 center in the league over his last 10 years which doesn't mean he sucked. he was still great but he was now very overrated.

overrated and underrated term doesn't mean good and bad player. it just means that a guys reputation is bigger or smaller than his actual performance.

Dionne phaneuf is called the most overrated player in the nhl and he might be, but that doesn't make him a bad player. he is a huge talent with the potential to be worth 7 mill a year and the ability to be played on the ice 23-25 mins a night by his coach.

my own opinion of babcock is that his players believe in him and listen when he speaks... that's about all you can really ask of a coach. I don't think he gets more or less out of his talent than most coaches would get. I mean its not like this guy coaches his team to cup contention every season.

paying him 2-3 times what a normal coach would cost is pretty crazy. at least it doesn't count against the cap

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad