TSN: Maple Leafs Discussing/Begin Discussion Extensions with Kapanen/Johnsson

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I kind of expect for Dubas to get bent over again.
I hope not, but the way it's going either we won't be able to afford them or despite this we will sign them to crazy deals.
I want both to stay, I like them ... but I am sure Lou would have negotiated better.
Unfortunately that is something Dubas still can not do.
I haven't seen Dubas get bent over on a deal yet. Lou got bent in the Zaitsev deal though.

Reactions: Rogue

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Yep, around that seems right. Maybe a tad bit more for Kapanen.

I think Dubas’ role with the Marlies will help here, he’s got a personal relationship with them now over several years.

I'd go max 3 million on Kapanen if he gives them 3 years.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Like Bracco? Who in the leafs system replaces him or are you planning on trading him for his replacement?

Youre right the Leafs don’t have anything NHL ready yet. If they trade him they need to get something really good in return or high draft picks. I wouldn’t be adverse to trading him or Gardiner if it helps them in two years when they make a run.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Him Hyman and Kadri = 95% of leafs grit

Ya brown was gritty yr 1 and 2 but this yr he is basically way faster, but not hitting, and his linemates wont even pass to him anymore because he always screws it up. I'd say Brown is more likely a trade candidate here.

I also feel like if Kapenen wanted too much, or the fit was not possible due to term or $ or both..then that makes him trade material. I don't want to lose him after all our development with him, but the $ has to add up.

I also think Dubas is going for a home run trade and these minor rumors of a Mcquaid or Hayes..are options y and z.

All depends on how that talk went with Kap and Johnny agents..went well then maybe we see a couple smaller moves. Or is kadri expendable? I do agree with the grit but Nylander looks the best hes looked at center the last 2 nights. Why I suggest Kadri is ..he 100% would be perfect for say Carolina and we get Brett or Hamilton..not exactly 1v1 but close.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I can’t see how we could keep those guys given how well they have played for us, but if Kap signs a sweetheart deal he will be beloved and I will but his jersey
Johnsson is on pace for 48 points and his career high previously was 3 points (I was told in the Nylander threads that goals don't matter, and that just one good season doesn't matter much... and I AM going to stay consistent to that.)

Kapanen is on pace for 50 points and his career high previously was 9 points (I was told in the Nylander threads that goals don't matter, and that just one good season doesn't matter much... and I AM going to stay consistent to that.)

So if we're going to be CONSISTENT with how Nylanders contract was created, somewhere around 2.5-3 million x3 seems fair.

There HAS to be consistency with how these contracts are figure out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad