TSN: Maple Leafs Discussing/Begin Discussion Extensions with Kapanen/Johnsson

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
We need both. We can't afford to trade FWDs for dmen anymore. We haven't scored a lot lately. and losing one of them will hurt a lot.

Reactions: Menzinger

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I have a feeling neither will do as well on another team. Kapanen maybe but Johnson really thrives in Babcocks system

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I just think this is a new age.
These new players won’t look at UFAs and RFAs years anymore. They are looking how long till my next contract and what I need to do to get more on my next contract.
They are willing to sit out as they know some teams will either OS or trade for them. At worst, they will sign short term deal and repeat the above thinking.
The next step for them will be taking less in their third contract in order to join together and win a few Cups.
Imagine Point, Rantanen, Marner, Laine, Matthews, Boeser, McAvoy, Trouba and Hannifin all become UFA in the same summer, imagine a team have 50-60mil cap space to sign these UFAs and actually sign 4-5of them. I can really see this happen.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I kind of expect for Dubas to get bent over again.
I hope not, but the way it's going either we won't be able to afford them or despite this we will sign them to crazy deals.
I want both to stay, I like them ... but I am sure Lou would have negotiated better.
Unfortunately that is something Dubas still can not do.

I don't recall Dubas ever getting "bent over".

Nylander's deal will look like a steal next year when he's putting up eliite numbers and he's signed to 1-3M less than all the other RFA's this offseason.

Matthews deal he was f***ed for no matter what. He can't afford to even entertain the possibility of an offersheet, and the AAV is what he's worth. The years are the only problem, and it was reported that if Dubas wanted 8, Matthews wanted north of 14.

Reactions: Menzinger and Rogue

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I have a feeling neither will do as well on another team. Kapanen maybe but Johnson really thrives in Babcocks system

Lol what about Babcock's system makes Johnsson thrive to the point he wouldn't do "as well" on another team?

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
This all makes sense. These guys are going to either take a bridge and a team friendly one, or I think one will be gone at the deadline. Gardiner, Zaitsev, Kapenen, Johnsson are all trade bait imho. A right shooting D man (think Jensen or Pesce, and a heavy forward (Simmonds or Ferland). We have enough elite scoring power with Matthews Tavares Marner Nylander Kadri, We can afford to lose one of Kapenen or Johnson (Both upcoming RFA's) if it brings back a duo like Simmonds and Pesce. We are going to lose Gardiner anyway so he should help bring back what we need.

Rogue

Jun 21, 2017

Nylander's deal will look like a steal next year when he's putting up eliite numbers and he's signed to 1-3M less than all the other RFA's this offseason.

Matthews deal he was ****ed for no matter what. He can't afford to even entertain the possibility of an offersheet, and the AAV is what he's worth. The years are the only problem, and it was reported that if Dubas wanted 8, Matthews wanted north of 14.
Thanks! Yeah ... as time passes the Nylander deal seems better and better.
What I am upset about were the years for Matthews ... I mean why does it always have to be us?
Why did Stamkos sign for 8 years, why did Kucherov get such good money/term deal.
Even Eichel looks like a steal today. Why are we always a bit late to the show or early (I can't really tell) ... like for example the third round picks. :(

Reactions: Morgs

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

The Miles Wood contract would look nice for Kapanen.

I agree. People think Nylander's deal was bad because they compare it to Pastrnak and Ehlers. But Pastrnak blew up after the contract was signed, and Ehlers was the by far best contract of any comparable.

I'm fine with Matthews too, but I like to evaluate players based on how good I think they are and not just the numbers they put up.

Regarding Nylander, I don't think he'll put up elite numbers unless we change how we use him. He's a ridiculous talent, so playing him on the third line for 14-15 minutes per game and on a pretty useless PP2 is not a good way to utilize him.

Babcock needs to step it up in that regard. He's been using our 4th, 5th, and 7th best forwards on the third line, and then spread the ice time as if we have a clear top six bottom six roster. He's been pushing almost all PP talent on one line, but then like to give half the PP to our second unit. He needs to step it up.

Last edited:

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

Matthews deal he was ****ed for no matter what. He can't afford to even entertain the possibility of an offersheet, and the AAV is what he's worth. The years are the only problem, and it was reported that if Dubas wanted 8, Matthews wanted north of 14.

You mean that Nylander who is currently at his best this season that only has 2 goals and 9 points in the last 13 games?

Thats a 13G 57P pace.

I'm sorry, but a 20G 60P (mostly a) winger is not worth 7 mil...

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I'd look at moving one of them for help now and going forward. I think we need a different mix of players, and don't think we can re-sign both anyway

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
You mean that Nylander who is currently at his best this season that only has 2 goals and 9 points in the last 13 games?

Thats a 13G 57P pace.

I'm sorry, but a 20G 60P (mostly a) winger is not worth 7 mil...
Context. If someone puts up almost 60 points primarily at even strength while not playing top-end minutes, that's absolutely terrific. If you want to expect more, then the circumstances need to be different as well.

What I will say is that paying him 7 mil and then utilizing him in a way that means that we get 6 mil value from him is not good.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
these 2 might be moving ahead of Naz on my personal forward depth chart. Similar overall contributions at this point but Kappy and Johnsson are younger and faster.

Naz and his very good contract might make the most sense as trade bait for a dman.

Reactions: Menzinger

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Should points be corrected for by quality of teammates and quality of competitors ?

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
This is all about asset management and these are the types of discussions that need to be had with players going into there last season.

If one gets moved I’d prefer AJ bc he’s smaller, older, and has shown to be injury prone

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
if dubas can get rid of marleaus contract this summer he should be gm of the year...and Z too.

ya that $1 mil of real money will be sooo hard to move. Teams that wanna reach the cap floor like Arizona would never trade for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad