TSN: Maple Leafs Discussing/Begin Discussion Extensions with Kapanen/Johnsson

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
They also noted that the fact those discussions are happening now might (note, I said might) impact whether the leafs trade them, depending on the asks and expectations that KK and AJ’s sides may have for a new contract. In other words, if they are going to hold out and ask for too large an amount, maybe Dubas decides to trade them for a big fish defenseman.

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
They also noted that the fact those discussions are happening now might (note, I said might) impact whether the leafs trade them, depending on the asks and expectations that KK and AJ’s sides may have for a new contract. In other words, if they are going to hold out and ask for too large an amount, maybe Dubas decides to trade them for a big fish defenseman.

It’s the smart play.

If they get the feeling either one is going to try and play hardball it gives management the option to trade them for a cost controlled D man

Last edited:
Reactions: DarkKnight

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Starting the process now, feeling them out and if it's not going to work Jake and that player will be out of here and a defender with some term back in.

Rogue

Jun 21, 2017
I kind of expect for Dubas to get bent over again.
I hope not, but the way it's going either we won't be able to afford them or despite this we will sign them to crazy deals.
I want both to stay, I like them ... but I am sure Lou would have negotiated better.
Unfortunately that is something Dubas still can not do.

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I kind of expect for Dubas to get bent over again.
I hope not, but the way it's going either we won't be able to afford them or despite this we will sign them to crazy deals.
I want both to stay, I like them ... but I am sure Lou would have negotiated better.
Unfortunately that is something Dubas still can not do.

Lou, the guy who gave Marleau and especially Zaitsev insane deals would do better?

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Bridge and bridge, only option. They aint taking 6x4 m or anything like that i suspect. Gardiner must go also

Rogue

Jun 21, 2017
Lou, the guy who gave Marleau and especially Zaitsev insane deals would do better?
Yes, you are completely right, Warden ... he wouldn't.
What I am saying is I really like his aura. I can't really explain it, but he just seems like a stone cold negotiator. In this regarding I am actually referencing Kadri and Rielly's deals (if they were signed by him, I don't really remember). Maybe just the times have changed, but during his time generally I had the feeling that players got what they deserved. Like I mean Zaitsev was an unsuccessful gamble, but we had to offer him that contract or we could have not gotten him at all and at the time he was regarded as the best up and coming defenceman in the KHL, just having lost the Gagarin Cup finals. I believe Marleau was the same way ... he had to offer a three year term to make him come over and frankly I don't think we could have imagined that he would regress so much so quickly. :(
In the end I am just bitter that Tampa have Kucherov, Stamkos and all the rest to such sweetheart deals and we always seem to sign our players recently for above market value (except maybe Tavares, who potentially took a discount).
All the best to you! I really respect you!!! Thank you for replaying to my post!

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
I could see a trade if one of them is being unrealistic in their ask. Ideally we keep both long term on team friendly numbers. I have my doubts though.

Kappy for instance has family money already and is probably in no rush to sign for under market. Where as a guy like Johnsson might look to secure a contract for himself.

Reactions: jrgtml67

lovemyleafs

Jan 23, 2017
If we had to pick between one of the two. I'd honestly rather keep AJ because LW is our weakest position. And AJ would probably come much cheaper.

They're both in the same tier though.
AJ is slightly more skilled offensively, but defensively Kap is better.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
On the Bobcast.

Dreger says Kapanen's agent is in Toronto and is meeting with Dubas before tonights game (against WSH).

McKenzie adds that Dubas has started, or will be starting very soon, talks with Johnsson's agent as well.

Smart. Lou should have been doing this with Nylander last year.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think both will end up staying.
ESP AJ, since the Leafs really developed him properly. After all, he was a 7th round pick.
Kap is another story but I think he will stay too at least for the short term.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I know he did it last year, but if I was Johnsson I would look at the cap situation and ask for another 1 year deal knowing he very well could repeat this season. Gets a slight raise and helps our cap situation next year well aware of all the money that comes off the books after next season. Could set himself up really well if he plays his cards right. Same as Kapanen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad