Maple Leafs Best Draft Picks of the 21st Century

ATBLeafsTyler

Dec 15, 2014
Newmarket, Ontario

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Having Marner and Nylander on the list really irks me. Guys that have proven absolutely nothing at the NHL level and they're #7 and #6 respectively? Somebody was reaching when they made this list.

ATBLeafsTyler

Dec 15, 2014
Newmarket, Ontario
Having Marner and Nylander on the list really irks me. Guys that have proven absolutely nothing at the NHL level and they're #7 and #6 respectively? Somebody was reaching when they made this list.

Who do you think should be on there instead?

We got Luke Schenn, Jimmy Hayes, Carlo Colaiacovo, Ian White, Carl Gunnarsson, Leo Komarov, Viktor Stalberg, Jiri Tlusty, John Mitchell, Matt Stajan, Kyle Wellwood and that's basically it.

Could have put Gunnarsson but I thought based on potential, I would include Nylander and Marner.

mikebel111*

Just asking. Would you have said this if your guys were picked instead on the BPA guys we did pick?

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
Steen really hurts. We were just starting to develop our own talent for once and that trade and the Rask one before it just seemed to be signs of things to come. I can deal with fleecing the Flames for Dion but Stralman, Seguin's pick, Hamilton's pick, and guys like Hayes and even Gibson and Saad... Like taking Brandon Saad would have been great for giving up Stralman, but then we gave that pick away. It's painful that's for sure.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Who do you think should be on there instead?

We got Luke Schenn, Jimmy Hayes, Carlo Colaiacovo, Ian White, Carl Gunnarsson, Leo Komarov, Viktor Stalberg, Jiri Tlusty, John Mitchell, Matt Stajan, Kyle Wellwood and that's basically it.

Could have put Gunnarsson but I thought based on potential, I would include Nylander and Marner.

Gunnarsson for sure. Not sure about who else, probably Stajan. Honestly, this teams drafting has been abysmal since 2000. And the ones they did hit on were given away way to early in their development.

Just asking. Would you have said this if your guys were picked instead on the BPA guys we did pick?

Yes. For them to be great draft picks they have to prove something. You can't just say a pick is great based on future potential, otherwise you could essentially put anyone you'd want on the list. I'm sure Luke Schenn would of been on one of these lists if it were made in 2008, and we all know how he turned out.

ATBLeafsTyler

Dec 15, 2014
Newmarket, Ontario
Gunnarsson for sure. Not sure about who else, probably Stajan. Honestly, this teams drafting has been abysmal since 2000. And the ones they did hit on were given away way to early in their development.

Yes. For them to be great draft picks they have to prove something. You can't just say a pick is great based on future potential, otherwise you could essentially put anyone you'd want on the list. I'm sure Luke Schenn would of been on one of these lists if it were made in 2008, and we all know how he turned out.

There's different types of potential though. You got Nylander potential, outscoring NHL superstars in his age group, being the third highest point per game average in the AHL as an 18 year old.

Or you have Marner potential, proven scorer in junior, could be a superstar when he bulks up a bit.

But then you have Bracco potential, who is very high risk-high reward. Could soar, but could bust just as equally.

Not every prospect can be added base on potential IMO. Marner and Nylander were exceptions.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Bracco is my personal feel-good pick of the draft. He impresses me - can't believe his size kept him available for us. He looks like he can develop good lower body strength.

Oh back to your list - I agree with your picks but there are a few peeps not on there - Stajan is the prime.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
Steen really hurts. We were just starting to develop our own talent for once and that trade and the Rask one before it just seemed to be signs of things to come. I can deal with fleecing the Flames for Dion but Stralman, Seguin's pick, Hamilton's pick, and guys like Hayes and even Gibson and Saad... Like taking Brandon Saad would have been great for giving up Stralman, but then we gave that pick away. It's painful that's for sure.

ideally we could have had;

jvr-seguin-steen
lupul-kadri-
(komorov-bozak-boyes)

rielly-hamilton
stralman-gardiner

rask

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
rask is the best pick. while marner and nylander will be all stars and rielly as potential, rask is an elite keeper.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If Nylander and Marner develop as expected (or beyond for that matter) they will bothvbe better than Rask - who while a great goalie, gets a bit of an advantage with Chara helping him out.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Man, he's a Vezina winner.

The reason he's a superstar goaltender is not because Chara is in front of him.

Doesn't hurt, that is for sure.

Please note: We are Leaf fans, and mostly just sour now. Nobody can blame us. We haven't had a Chara type since the 70s, and a Rask type since the early 90s.

Mad Brills*

Rask is the best pick by the leafs, but Nylander/rielly/marner have the potential to be better

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad