GDT: Maple Leafs at Flames Oct. 30 on TSN

JAMmer124

Independent Living
Aug 13, 2010
Welland, Ontario
I'm concerned about the Leafs 4th line. For some reason the Leafs still pack goons, while we have Backlund and Bouma there. You just know they'll be dirty and will try to injure one of our guys.

Joe Colbourne needs to be big tonight. Prove his former team wrong!

If it makes you feel any better, Fraser still isn't healthy so we only have 2/3 goons :laugh:

Really though, they're clean. If McGrattan dresses, one of McLaren/Orr will probably go him, but they don't take liberties. Play hard but clean. Quite frankly, I'd be more concerned about Clarkson being an idiot.

Hope it's a good game tonight!

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I'm really looking forward to this game as the flames are my second team (albeit leafs are my first by a mile)
I can't wait to see that fancy new center you guys have. The kids a stud.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Wonder if Wideman gets over the 30 minute mark in ice time tonight. Brodie and Russell will likely be close to 25 minutes each.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Big Ern has a role to play tonight.
Tough boys on this Leaf team, a good way to cool them down, is to punish their goon(s).

Something's got to give on this Flames team however, Backlund doesn't look right centering the fouth line... My guess is within the next three weeks either him or Stajan are wearing new colours.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Tough boys on this Leaf team, a good way to cool them down, is to punish their goon(s).

Something's got to give on this Flames team however, Backlund doesn't look right centering the fouth line... My guess is within the next three weeks either him or Stajan are wearing new colours.

Wouldn't surprise me given how well Colborne has done and how desperate we are on defense.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

They aren't going to move one of our two most veteran centers because of a few good games from Joe. Not while we are still "competing" anyway.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
They aren't going to move one of our two most veteran centers because of a few good games from Joe. Not while we are still "competing" anyway.

If one of our 'veterans' is simply not getting time because he is being outplayed by kids; and he has value (which Backlund has, Stajan to a lesser extent)... Then I am all for moving them for areas that require help.

Babscocks

Jan 7, 2011
Edmonton
Good luck tonight, I'm really only here to say your Futurama avatars are pretty bad*** and looks like the whole board uses them almost. Awesome

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
If one of our 'veterans' is simply not getting time because he is being outplayed by kids; and he has value (which Backlund has, Stajan to a lesser extent)... Then I am all for moving them for areas that require help.

I'd rather move Stajan even if he has less value because Backlund is a very good 3rd line center and would be good to have long term.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

I don't think we have been watching the same games :laugh:. Neither have been "outplayed". Hartley is shuffling the lines and splitting the ice time just like he has been all season. Backlund was the odd man out tonight and is on the 4th line, he won't stay there though I am sure. Also, for all intents and purposes, Backlund is one of the "kids".

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I don't think we have been watching the same games :laugh:. Neither have been "outplayed". Hartley is shuffling the lines and splitting the ice time just like he has been all season. Backlund was the odd man out tonight and is on the 4th line, he won't stay there though I am sure. Also, for all intents and purposes, Backlund is one of the "kids".

I wasn't making a statement that Backlund was on the fourth line due to being outplayed, but if he sticks there then that's on him. I was saying, if he's sitting there on the fourth moving forward... then he is clearly being outplayed. In general Calgary just has 4 centers that at this point of time are all somewhere near each other as to where they would slot on a good team (2nd-3rd liners). I am certain Calgary won't move Monahan; or Colborne... On the other hand, Backlund and Stajan could be made available if need be.

Also, for all intents and purposes, you were the one one who referred to him as a 'veteran', which is why it is put in quotations in my reply the first time :laugh:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I wasn't making a statement that Backlund was on the fourth line due to being outplayed, but if he sticks there then that's on him. I was saying, if he's sitting there on the fourth moving forward... then he is clearly being outplayed. In general Calgary just has 4 centers that at this point of time are all somewhere near each other as to where they would slot on a good team (2nd-3rd liners). I am certain Calgary won't move Monahan; or Colborne... On the other hand, Backlund and Stajan could be made available if need be.

Also, for all intents and purposes, you were the one one who referred to him as a 'veteran', which is why it is put in quotations in my reply the first time :laugh:

No, I referred to Backlund and Stajan as the two most veteran centers on the team. There is a difference.

It wound not surprise me to see Stajan gone at the deadline though.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Backlund's emergence as a strong two way player makes Stajan entirely expendable. Stajan may still be slightly better now, but his experience should help his trade value at the deadline. The Flames are still to thin down the middle to entertain the thought of moving Backlund; maybe if Jankowski or Arnold pan out, but they won't know that for a few years at least.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I love how so many Leafs fans have come onto our GDT to post, and not one of us has been an ******* about it. Apparently we do things differently here compared to the rest of HF.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Backlund's emergence as a strong two way player makes Stajan entirely expendable. Stajan may still be slightly better now, but his experience should help his trade value at the deadline. The Flames are still to thin down the middle to entertain the thought of moving Backlund; maybe if Jankowski or Arnold pan out, but they won't know that for a few years at least.

I would agree with this. I think that Stajan and Backlund at this point are very close to the same player. I also don't think trading Backlund is ever going to be a good idea because he is probably deeply undervalued by the market. If he breaks out and gets some league attention, maybe we could find fair value then, but I don't see it happening this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->