The Sun: Maple Leafs' all-traded first-round all-stars

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Why even bother bringing up Seguin? Kessel finished last season in the top ten in both goals and points. Why do people talk about this deal as if we gave up Gretzky for him when the reality is that Seguin hasn't accomplished anything in the league yet.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
Lars Eller sucks.

i was gonna write a post but im too lazy and it would have no direction as theres no point to about this.

But again, Eller sucks

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
Why even bother bringing up Seguin? Kessel finished last season in the top ten in both goals and points. Why do people talk about this deal as if we gave up Gretzky for him when the reality is that Seguin hasn't accomplished anything in the league yet.

I've come to this sort of realization lately also. Seguin is a great young player, but its not like he's Sidney Crosby. I kind of doubt we would be much further along with him in our line up than Kessel. The second first round pick hurts a bit, but I like Rielly's game a little bit more than Hamilton's. But I also acknowledge that the 9th pick is something we will never get back. But I also doubt we would be THAT much better in the future with them vs. Kessel. We still really badly need that future #1 Center though.

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
I've come to this sort of realization lately also. Seguin is a great young player, but its not like he's Sidney Crosby. I kind of doubt we would be much further along with him in our line up than Kessel. The second first round pick hurts a bit, but I like Rielly's game a little bit more than Hamilton's. But I also acknowledge that the 9th pick is something we will never get back. But I also doubt we would be THAT much better in the future with them vs. Kessel. We still really badly need that future #1 Center though.

Now having said that, it still sucks that they are in our division for the next few years. All I was trying to say was, while they are incredibly talented and have a bright future, would they make THAT much of a difference for us? I'm not 100% sure they would have. It's not defending the trade. Any time you trade high first round picks it's always questionable. I just don't see Sidney Crosby when I look at Seguin. I think the recent JVR, Colborne, Rielly, Kadri, Finn, Gardiner, Biggs, Percy and Ashton additions have soften the blow for me also.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Man I wish I could see into the future like this guy then I would know who is going to win this years super bowl ;)

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
bttf2_almanac_2015.jpg
Man I wish I could see into the future like this guy then I would know who is going to win this years super bowl ;)

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Now that Burke is gone they are taking every pot shot they can. There is no one at MLSE with the Cajones to stand up and come back at them.

Knowing when taking a stand and when to zip it, was a issue that Burke had...making your self to look like an idiot does not take Cajones....it takes stupidity and Burke was blessed with an abundance of this!

This is not a story to get all worked up about.....it is also a story that can be written about every team in the league.

Winreims

Dec 31, 2011
It's the same article they throw out almost every week. Yes, we know the Leafs traded their picks. What can we do about it? Seriously, people need to move FORWARD.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
that trade still haunts me till this day, lindros was one of my favourite players and we were crappier then the nordiques. imagine clark and lindros on the same line? LOL

regardless we would have got niedermeyer unless we went off the board. San Jose was an expansion team, and was gauranteed the 2nd overall pick.

Maybe we would have traded up for the 2nd. :sarcasm:

Knowing Toronto and the drafting history, they would have passed over Niedermayer anyways and taken Lachance or great power forward Alex Stojanov.

dcervi*

I swear I see an article similar to this every week/month/year about the leafs traded 1st round picks lol

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Now having said that, it still sucks that they are in our division for the next few years. All I was trying to say was, while they are incredibly talented and have a bright future, would they make THAT much of a difference for us? I'm not 100% sure they would have. It's not defending the trade. Any time you trade high first round picks it's always questionable. I just don't see Sidney Crosby when I look at Seguin. I think the recent JVR, Colborne, Rielly, Kadri, Finn, Gardiner, Biggs, Percy and Ashton additions have soften the blow for me also.

If we re-sign Kessel long term at a good deal and get him that true #1 centre, and as our team matures and toughens, I don't think they would enjoy Kessel scoring on them either. Kessel is more dangerous with the puck (he could also pass, so don't be fooled), has greater speed and a better shot.

Seguin was never a Crosby, heck, he's only hyped up by TSN with their Taylor vs Tyler thing like they do with every draft, and hyped up even more in this hockey crazed market because Boston got him with our pick. We wouldn't even paid much attention to him if it wasn't our pick.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Sundin is one of the biggest Leafs' all-stars...somehow that was missed in the article...

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
dont they have anything better to do at the toronto sun sports department ?

What I don't get is why the OP consisitantly feels the need to post this kind of garbage story on this site? Do we not have enough idiot posts here that we need someone bringing in articles as useless as this one? Not only is this article poor, but it is unoriginal as this particular topic has been picked apart by sports analysists in media of all levels for years.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Maybe some mention should also be made of all the poor choices TO has made over the years and the possibility that say TO had it kept the Neidermeyer choice might have chosen someone else sort of like the Schenn choice instead of picking Karlsson.
This post is right on the money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->