The Sun: Maple Leafs' all-traded first-round all-stars

You Like Boyce

Mar 7, 2011
Brutal. This just screams to me that it was hastily thrown together. Kasparaitis has been out of the league for years and the Leafs drafting him is such a reach. I'd rather have done what San Jose did to end up with Couture then have Eller. And Yushkevich was great for the Leafs and an actual all star. Zubrus? No thanks.

If they had of done some research they could come up with better ones. Mike Cammaleri and Mark Stuart come to mind.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
Maybe we should find out who TO could have traded last year for first round draft choices, BB said we could have had 4 more 1sts so we can review the possible results in the future.

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
With the exception of Niedermayer, Luongo and maybe Seguin...you can have all the rest.

All-Star does not mean franchise player. It means a particular player had a good year. But it also doesn't mean that player necessarily was great enough to keep around over the course of his career.

Kasparitus for example, was a steady hard-hitting defenseman, and was effective when used properly. But he's not exactly a #1 defenseman and probably not even an ideal #2.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Hindsight, where everyone is a hockey expert.

Cool_story_bro%202.jpeg

Yeap this was my reaction lol.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
2 wins in a row,Leafs fans happy with the play of the young players so I guess the Sun figured it was time to take a shot at the Leafs.:shakehead

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010
The only one that really annoys me is the Tom Kurvers trade. But knowing us, we would have had 2nd overall, missed Lindros and instead of grabbing Niedermayer we would have went with the Sharks and taken Pat Falloon.

that trade still haunts me till this day, lindros was one of my favourite players and we were crappier then the nordiques. imagine clark and lindros on the same line? LOL

regardless we would have got niedermeyer unless we went off the board. San Jose was an expansion team, and was gauranteed the 2nd overall pick.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Now didn't we trade a 1st that later (with a trade idk exactly the pick) up to get couture for toskalol. Lol at the sun if u count that.

No big deal, everybody makes mistakes, they were pushing for success, what are u gonna do? Learn from your mistakes and take it slow aka nonis

Actually not that big of a LOL considering that SJ packaged the 1rst and 2nd we sent them to move up to get Couture.

Phatic

Aug 2, 2011
just out of curiosity, does the sun ever report positive information about the leafs.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
How many times can this stupidity POSSIBLY be repeated?

I can go through every team in the entire league and show you the EXACT same thing.

Here's a shocker: the Leafs had three ACTUAL All Stars on their team last year alone that were all traded FOR (and all were top 9 picks). Don't be surprised if you soon see a 4th in #2 overall JVR.

EDIT - Forgot to add another, #16 overall who was on last year's rookie all-star squad. So the article has to go back about 20 years to produce a list that contains less first round all stars than Burke produced in the past couple years.

Last edited:

sgupca

Oct 9, 2008
Halifax, NS
meh,

how many all-stars have we traded for when they were young players?

Sundin and Gilmour are the first that come to mind.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
As a Leaf fan, I don't regret too much the if and buts of draft picks, although I'm vehemently disappointed with Draft Schmaft Fletcher (why is he still collecting a paycheck) and the Neidermeyer thing was hard to stomach. Rather I wince more at the trading of young players before their potential was realized. Players that come to mind for me were Gary Unger, Rick Kehoe, and Randy Carlyle.....and there have been many, many more.

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
Niedermayer clearly hurts the most looking at this list. Luongo also stings a bit, but not as bad as missing out on one of the all time great defenders. Every team could do one of these lists though, and why is it limited to the 1st round? I am sure plenty of stars have been selected over the years using another teams draft pick beyond the 1st round. An example that springs to mind is Boston getting Lucic with Edmonton's second round pick (Samsonov trade)

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
As a Leaf fan, I don't regret too much the if and buts of draft picks, although I'm vehemently disappointed with Draft Schmaft Fletcher (why is he still collecting a paycheck) and the Neidermeyer thing was hard to stomach. Rather I wince more at the trading of young players before their potential was realized. Players that come to mind for me were Gary Unger, Rick Kehoe, and Randy Carlyle.....and there have been many, many more.

Indeed.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
And I would of STILL done the Yuskie trade today and twice on Sunday. Yuskevich was a ******** warhorse that left it all out there on the ice, a true warrior on the Leafs blue-line and was arguably one of the more underrated Leafs in recent memory.

It's a shame that him and MLSE are still on bad terms due to his "Carlton the bear is the most honest guy in the organization" comment after he was traded. But you could tell that he made those comments because he wanted to remain a Leaf for the rest of his career.

I miss him.

cynicism

Aug 13, 2008
Oh noes, the Leafs don't have Danius Zubrius. I'm heartbroken this surefire hall of famer was never a leaf.

The Sun's terrible so this is par for the course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad