Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs & AGM Mark Hunter Part Ways, Effective Immediately

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Again, Hunter didn't quit because he was passed over. He quit because he didn't want to work with Kyle Dubas, and Dubas didn't want to work with him. He'd be fine taking a lower level position under Lou again. It wasn't GM or bust in Hunter's mind. Its simply he didn't share a similar view to Dubas and they didn't get along (no matter what narrative is spun in press conferences or interviews).

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Again, Hunter didn't quit because he was passed over. He quit because he didn't want to work with Kyle Dubas, and Dubas didn't want to work with him. He'd be fine taking a lower level position under Lou again. It wasn't GM or bust in Hunter's mind. Its simply he didn't share a similar view to Dubas and they didn't get along (no matter what narrative is spun in press conferences or interviews).
If it was the other way around and Hunter was named GM would Dubas have quit?

Also those on the main board saying Hunter quit because he wasn't named GM, was that their attempt at making the Leafs look like they made the wrong choice picking Dubas?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If it was the other way around and Hunter was named GM would Dubas have quit?

Also those on the main board saying Hunter quit because he wasn't named GM, was that their attempt at making the Leafs look like they made the wrong choice picking Dubas?
Dubas would have aggressively pursued a GM job elsewhere and most likely would have been encouraged to leave by Hunter. Dubas would have been put in a fairly marginalized role, and that is why he looked seriously at Colorado last year, despite the belief by some it was a lateral position. Dubas did not have a major say in how the Leafs operate since Lou was hired, and that would have continued under Hunter.

Dubas may have been less likely to outright quit, because he has a young family and no major income outside what the Leafs pay him. Mark Hunter owns the Knights and has an NHL pension. What he makes with the Leafs is not a crippling loss to him.

Peoples motivations for statements on the main board are the least of my concern. They can spin things however they want, and its generally not worth my time to convince them they are wrong.

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Peoples motivations for statements on the main board are the least of my concern. They can spin things however they want, and its generally not worth my time to convince them they are wrong.
I guess when they hear how Hunter also wanted the Leafs GM job and was disappointed that's all they want to hear, because the comment was made that Hunter wants to become a GM and stick it to the Leafs. However now some of those people think Hunter will accept the same jobs he had with the Islanders when he can be hired. Either Hunter wanted to become a GM and now it's changed that he doesn't want to.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I guess when they hear how Hunter also wanted the Leafs GM job and was disappointed that's all they want to hear, because the comment was made that Hunter wants to become a GM and stick it to the Leafs. However now some of those people think Hunter will accept the same jobs he had with the Islanders when he can be hired. Either Hunter wanted to become a GM and now it's changed that he doesn't want to.
He would likely accept a similar to a job as he had with Toronto if its to work for people he wants to work with. He didn't want to work for Dubas (and Dubas didn't want him to work for him). If Lou had stayed GM, Hunter would have stayed on in the capacity he had.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
He would likely accept a similar to a job as he had with Toronto if its to work for people he wants to work with. He didn't want to work for Dubas (and Dubas didn't want him to work for him). If Lou had stayed GM, Hunter would have stayed on in the capacity he had.
If so that only proves my previous point that when Shanahan said Hunter was disappointed to not be named the GM, non Leafs fans read to much into that Hunter wants to a GM for another team. I say again if that's what Hunter wanted why was his name not brought up for the GM jobs in Carolina and Minnesota before they were filled.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If so that only proves my previous point that when Shanahan said Hunter was disappointed to not be named the GM, non Leafs fans read to much into that Hunter wants to a GM for another team. I say again if that's what Hunter wanted why was his name not brought up for the GM jobs in Carolina and Minnesota before they were filled.
It wasn't just the mains. Many here framed it as Hunter taking his ball and going home in a childish manner. Not realizing there were a bunch of workplace politics at play. It was an open secret in certain circles. I mean hell, I posted that is exactly what would happen in November.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It wasn't just the mains. Many here framed it as Hunter taking his ball and going home in a childish manner. Not realizing there were a bunch of workplace politics at play. It was an open secret in certain circles. I mean hell, I posted that is exactly what would happen in November.
That's true, however I think a few people on the main boards blew it way out of proportion like with the comments that Hunter wants to become a GM for another team and stick it to the Leafs. All of the sudden now Hunter will accept the same jobs he had with the Islanders, they can't have it both ways and change their opinion like that.

When Paul Fenton was named GM of Minnesota we didn't see any comments like he wants to stick it to Nashville because he was their Assistant GM for so many years.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
That's true, however I think a few people on the main boards blew it way out of proportion like with the comments that Hunter wants to become a GM for another team and stick it to the Leafs. All of the sudden now Hunter will accept the same jobs he had with the Islanders, they can't have it both ways and change their opinion like that.

When Paul Fenton was named GM of Minnesota we didn't see any comments like he wants to stick it to Nashville because he was their Assistant GM for so many years.
Its the mains. Don't get too worked up, and ignore faulty logic. You aren't going to convince them otherwise.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Its the mains. Don't get too worked up, and ignore faulty logic. You aren't going to convince them otherwise.
I agree because all of the sudden Hunter was so great in the opinion of non Leafs fans and the Leafs will regret losing him.

If Dubas went to Colorado last summer those same people would say how could Shanahan let him leave.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

No evidence of that. You cannot say that with any more confidence than what I said.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Dubas would have aggressively pursued a GM job elsewhere and most likely would have been encouraged to leave by Hunter. Dubas would have been put in a fairly marginalized role, and that is why he looked seriously at Colorado last year, despite the belief by some it was a lateral position. Dubas did not have a major say in how the Leafs operate since Lou was hired, and that would have continued under Hunter.

Dubas may have been less likely to outright quit, because he has a young family and no major income outside what the Leafs pay him. Mark Hunter owns the Knights and has an NHL pension. What he makes with the Leafs is not a crippling loss to him.

You have no idea how involved Dubas was and need to stop acting like you know anything different than any of the rest of us do.

What we do know:
- Dubas was Assistant GM
- Dubas created, or led the revamp of at least 3 entire departments within the organization
- Dubas didn't work especially closely in first year with Lou, but by most accounts that completely changed after

Kyle Dubas didn't have final say, as nobody but Lou on a Lou team would, but there's absolutely zero supporting evidence that he wasn't a prominent voice in our group.

In fact, his appointment by Shanahan to run the team would seem to balk at the idea he "did not have a major say" as that would've made it much harder to get any kind of gauge of his readiness for the job.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

There's always workplace politics, that NONE of us are privy to. That actually doesn't mean Hunter isn't doing exactly what we said he's doing.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
no it isn't. only leafs fans think that. every gm in the league would rather have barzal
Wow, there are Leaf fans that would rather Barzal as there are fans of other teams who would prefer Marner. It is never one teams fans that are all in agreement.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Hunter has a pretty big draft coming up for the isles with the 11th and 12th pick.

Behind the scenes of course.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
You have no idea how involved Dubas was and need to stop acting like you know anything different than any of the rest of us do.

What we do know:
- Dubas was Assistant GM
- Dubas created, or led the revamp of at least 3 entire departments within the organization
- Dubas didn't work especially closely in first year with Lou, but by most accounts that completely changed after

Kyle Dubas didn't have final say, as nobody but Lou on a Lou team would, but there's absolutely zero supporting evidence that he wasn't a prominent voice in our group.

In fact, his appointment by Shanahan to run the team would seem to balk at the idea he "did not have a major say" as that would've made it much harder to get any kind of gauge of his readiness for the job.
There are actually a bunch of quotes in the media from unnamed sources saying Dubas was marginalized under Lou. So, this isn't me just saying stuff.

And, maybe I don't know more than people here. But, I was the first person to say Hunter would outright quit if they hired Dubas over him in November.

If you don't believe me fine, but here's the post in question. Its quoted multiple times, so it is not like I went back and edited a post. I was wrong about expecting Hunter to win out on the back of Lou's recommendation.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/137960487/

Last edited:

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

What we do know:
- Dubas was Assistant GM

Dubas said he was sent to the Marlies by LL as soon as he was hired in an interview the did the day he was promoted .

and it doesn't f***ing matter anymore what he did or didn't do since he got the GM job so there's no need for his fan club to endlessly pimp him like the GM decision hasn't already been made

all that matters now is how he performs in his new role , he's set up extremely well for success so there's no excuses if the teams doesn't progress

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Again, Hunter didn't quit because he was passed over. He quit because he didn't want to work with Kyle Dubas, and Dubas didn't want to work with him. . It wasn't GM or bust in Hunter's mind. Its simply he didn't share a similar view to Dubas and they didn't get along (no matter what narrative is spun in press conferences or interviews).

Mind linking me to your source on this? Would love to read it.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Most guys in hockey do move on if they are passed over by the organization. Kyle Dubas would have eventually left as well.(Teams actually want him as their GM unlike Hunter).

Reactions: LeafsNation75
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad