Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs & AGM Mark Hunter Part Ways, Effective Immediately

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
You love to worship Babcock's coaching abilities.

Answer honestly - Do you think Barzal puts up those kinds of numbers under Babcock as opposed to the pure run and gun style that he played with the Islanders under?

I'm not even sure what numbers I'm looking at. Barzals numbers are a bit strange.
Even strength goals are close.
64 giveaways vs mitch's 44.
54 take aways vs mitch's 84.
even strength CF % better for Barzal....53.3 vs 52.9....
Marner shoots more 300 vs 221 but shot through percentage is much better for Barzal 65.2 vs 47.7.....although again...Even strength goals are close
A lot of contradictory stats that points to opportunistic line mates?
Just a bunch of noise. Will need to see another year.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Hunter might be in-line to be NYI next GM replacing Snow now that Lou Lam is heading up the show.
Since this Tweet from the Islanders themselves says Lou has taken over their GM position and does not say the words Interim GM, I take it to mean Hunter won't become their GM in near future.

Of course despite the clear evidence there are some people on the main boards who think Lou will step down as the Islanders GM and hire Hunter when he's allowed to do that.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Since this Tweet from the Islanders themselves says Lou has taken over their GM position and does not say the words Interim GM, I take it to mean Hunter won't become their GM in near future.

Of course despite the clear evidence there are some people on the main boards who think Lou will step down as the Islanders GM and hire Hunter when he's allowed to do that.

The draft and free agency (particularly if it involves JT) are important times for a GM so Lou is now sitting in the drivers chair to run the show.. Hiring a coach and perhaps GM can happen later.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Hunter leaving reflects really badly on him as a professional imo.

He made a contractual commitment to this club with absolutely nothing promised to him beyond the role he was filling. He doesn't get the promotion he wanted and then tells them he wants out of his contract as a result, with no job to go to.

What's done is done, but he should have done his job and waited for a club to ask for permission to speak to him which we surely would not have blocked

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Hunter leaving reflects really badly on him as a professional imo.

He made a contractual commitment to this club with absolutely nothing promised to him beyond the role he was filling. He doesn't get the promotion he wanted and then tells them he wants out of his contract as a result, with no job to go to.

What's done is done, but he should have done his job and waited for a club to ask for permission to speak to him which we surely would not have blocked
I'm not convinced he wants to go to another club.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Mark Hunter to rest of NHL: "if you're looking for a guy who'll throw a temper tantrum and quit at the first sign of not getting his way, I'm you're guy"
Exactly! He should have quietly done his job while awaiting for Dubas to fail, or, for another N.H.L. team to come calling for him to be their G.M.

Well, unless, wink wink, Lou has a job already lined up for him!

Reactions: indigobuffalo

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Exactly! He should have quietly done his job while awaiting for Dubas to fail, or, for another N.H.L. team to come calling for him to be their G.M.

Well, unless, wink wink, Lou has a job already lined up for him!

Lou or any other team are welcome to him. He has done nothing out of the ordinary in his time here, to get all this credit as some super scout. He is a good higher end scout/ head of scouting nothing more. He really isn't a big loss

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I don't think there is a GM in the league that would trade Marner for Barzal straight up, well I guess one now, Lou.

Reactions: stickty111

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Mark Hunter to rest of NHL: "if you're looking for a guy who'll throw a temper tantrum and quit at the first sign of not getting his way, I'm you're guy"
I have nothing against Hunter and what he did for the Leafs, but I wish fans of other teams realize he was not offered or interviewed for the GM positions in Carolina and Minnesota when they were available. Although those people suggesting he would get the Islanders job when Lou was hired there, part of it was them wanting to trash to the Leafs for letting him leave and selecting Dubas instead. Now they are thinking Lou will hire him for the same jobs he had in Toronto. Gee I thought he left because he wanted to become an NHL GM and nothing less.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I have nothing against Hunter and what he did for the Leafs, but I wish fans of other teams realize he was not offered or interviewed for the GM positions in Carolina and Minnesota when they were available. Although those people suggesting he would get the Islanders job when Lou was hired there, part of it was them wanting to trash to the Leafs for letting him leave and selecting Dubas instead. Now they are thinking Lou will hire him for the same jobs he had in Toronto. Gee I thought he left because he wanted to become an NHL GM and nothing less.

Promoting him to Assistant GM was smart in part because another team would have had to hire him as GM, IIRC. Think he could still eventually become GM of the Islanders, but Hunter could also now go somewhere where there's a better chance of becoming GM sooner than he would've had here with Dubas receiving a five year deal for the role.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Promoting him to Assistant GM was smart in part because another team would have had to hire him as GM, IIRC. Think he could still eventually become GM of the Islanders, but Hunter could also now go somewhere where there's a better chance of becoming GM sooner than he would've had here with Dubas receiving a five year deal for the role.
Since Lou named himself the new Islanders GM I doubt it's a title he will give up just so Hunter can get it. If anything I see Lou's son Chris as the next Islanders GM. So Hunter needs to wait for Seattle or another team to have a GM opening.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Since Lou named himself the new Islanders GM I doubt it's a title he will give up just so Hunter can get it. If anything I see Lou's son Chris as the next Islanders GM. So Hunter needs to wait for Seattle or another team to have a GM opening.

It's tough to say for certain where the best opportunity is if Hunter's goal is still NHL GM. There's no interim tag on Lou as GM, but he'd still retain the President role if he vacates the GM post at some point down the line. Agree that it wouldn't be much of a stretch at all if Chris Lamoriello is promoted to the role either.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It's tough to say for certain where the best opportunity is if Hunter's goal is still NHL GM. There's no interim tag on Lou as GM, but he'd still retain the President role if he vacates the GM post at some point down the line. Agree that it wouldn't be much of a stretch at all if Chris Lamoriello is promoted to the role either.
Lou could have easily remained as President of Hockey Operations for the Islanders with still having the final say, however he choose not to and why he named himself GM. He wants 100% control and it's what he had in New Jersey until he was forced out as their GM.

Reactions: Buds17
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad