Sportsnet: Maple Leafs’ Ron Hainsey breaks down new NHL rules

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Love the hand-slashing focus. Let's see if it actually goes anywhere. Some of the most egregious officiating I've ever seen last year.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Love the hand-slashing focus. Let's see if it actually goes anywhere. Some of the most egregious officiating I've ever seen last year.

The hand slashing and the offside challenge , I'm happy both are being addressed, the beauty of hockey is its not perfect and it shouldn't be. the offside thing was taking away from the flow of the game.

Fraser in 1993? part of the lore of Leaf fans...

Hull in the crease? Buffalo might be cup winners

Not perfect plays but part of hockey lore... not that I like ref's messing up but that human element adds to the drama of the game.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
wouldn't changing the ruling of offside to the plane of the blue line be better? so even if the skate is in the air but still covering the blueline its onside. A penalty seems harsh but then again should help scoring if coaches don't get with the programme and we have a lot of failed challenges

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
The hand slashing and the offside challenge , I'm happy both are being addressed, the beauty of hockey is its not perfect and it shouldn't be. the offside thing was taking away from the flow of the game.

Fraser in 1993? part of the lore of Leaf fans...

Hull in the crease? Buffalo might be cup winners

Not perfect plays but part of hockey lore... not that I like ref's messing up but that human element adds to the drama of the game.

I don't have any problems with these rule changes & focus but I want to point out one important repercussion of the hand slash focus.

Obviously the Methot and Gaudreau hand slash incidents warranted penalties. I did notice a few incidents where it appeared during incidental contact to the hands resulted in embellishment IMO.

Just look at whats happened since any stick contact to the head is an automatic penalty. 90% of the time players head snaps back, even with incidental (or phantom) contact!

Before the rule and back when wood sticks were used, we didn't see such reactions as often IMO.

Once again I am fine with penalizing direct strikes to the hands. I just don't want to see more soccer skills brought into our game!

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I don't have any problems with these rule changes & focus but I want to point out one important repercussion of the hand slash focus.

Obviously the Methot and Gaudreau hand slash incidents warranted penalties. I did notice a few incidents where it appeared during incidental contact to the hands resulted in embellishment IMO.

Just look at whats happened since any stick contact to the head is an automatic penalty. 90% of the time players head snaps back, even with incidental (or phantom) contact!

Before the rule and back when wood sticks were used, we didn't see such reactions as often IMO.

Once again I am fine with penalizing direct strikes to the hands. I just don't want to see more soccer skills brought into our game!

Agreed soccer is a bad "sport" ;)

Hurin

Jun 29, 2016
Winnipeg, MB
wouldn't changing the ruling of offside to the plane of the blue line be better? so even if the skate is in the air but still covering the blueline its onside. A penalty seems harsh but then again should help scoring if coaches don't get with the programme and we have a lot of failed challenges

This. I've actually thought for a while now that it would be far more sensible to use the plane of the blue line as it is much easier to get that call right and would result in fewer missed off-side calls as well as fewer off-sides in general which would improve the flow of the game.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
This. I've actually thought for a while now that it would be far more sensible to use the plane of the blue line as it is much easier to get that call right and would result in fewer missed off-side calls as well as fewer off-sides in general which would improve the flow of the game.

It would. How sensible are they over at the NHL?

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
These rules are going to help but as soon as you put more rules into the game, it tends to slow the game down, offsides should be instantly identified by adding more overhead and line cameras and off ice officials closer looking at the replay and the same thing as with Goalie interference calls, if coaches have people watching and tell them to make a coaches call and many that have reversed a goal, why can't that all be done by off ice officials without having a coach make a call and if he's wrong he loses his timeout, it doesn't make sense, when a goal is scored it should be reviewed by off ice officials and be automatic if it was offside or Goalie interference.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
These rules are going to help but as soon as you put more rules into the game, it tends to slow the game down, offsides should be instantly identified by adding more overhead and line cameras and off ice officials closer looking at the replay and the same thing as with Goalie interference calls, if coaches have people watching and tell them to make a coaches call and many that have reversed a goal, why can't that all be done by off ice officials without having a coach make a call and if he's wrong he loses his timeout, it doesn't make sense, when a goal is scored it should be reviewed by off ice officials and be automatic if it was offside or Goalie interference.

couldn't they put chips in pucks and skates then sensors on the blueline the software would then flag an offside no need for challenges just call the play dead. Or is that technology too advanced for the NHL,

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
couldn't they put chips in pucks and skates then sensors on the blueline the software would then flag an offside no need for challenges just call the play dead. Or is that technology too advanced for the NHL,

I agree something can be done and leaving it up to a coaches challenge, doesn't make sense to me.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
NHL 100 in 100: Crosby obliterates Methot’s finger

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-100-100-crosby-obliterates-methots-finger/

Over the next 100 days, host Steve Dangle will break down the top 100 moments of the NHL’s centennial season. Check out the entire series on Sportsnet’s YouTube page and subscribe for more exclusive content.
No. 28

Turn away if you’re faint of heart, but for moment 28 of 100, Sidney Crosby slashes Marc Methot and removes part of his finger. No penalty was called on the play.

*Warning: Graphic content

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto

I don't even think linesmen should be on the ice. The ice is crowded enough without a guy at each line.

They should be using video refs to call offsides and penalties. Then just have a couple extra refs in the box who can come onto the ice to break up fights and stuff.

The technology is certainly there to implement something more high tech... but I'm not sure it's worth it to go through the effort at this point.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
That headline almost gave me a heart attack - thought he was injured for a split second lol.

I've got no issue with refs starting to call more penalties for new infractions. PP gives skilled guys time and space to do their thing. And if tech actually makes offsides become more accurate, no argument against that from me. If a guy was legit offside seems silly to complain if the whistle is blown

member 262271

All for it, offside challenges to me suck the life out of the game, and while they're here to stay, streamlining them will hopefully make for a more entertaining season. The hand slashing part was a definite welcome surprise, I'd be here all day if I had to list off the times I'd seen that crap go unpunished in a game.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I don't even think linesmen should be on the ice. The ice is crowded enough without a guy at each line.

They should be using video refs to call offsides and penalties. Then just have a couple extra refs in the box who can come onto the ice to break up fights and stuff.

The technology is certainly there to implement something more high tech... but I'm not sure it's worth it to go through the effort at this point.

agree here, 2 refs and 10 players that's it, maybe even 1 ref with 1 or 2 waiting and they can either do a period each or 'ref line changes' get more space on the ice without changing the dimensions

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
So now that we have had a chance to digest some of the new rule changes, I can honestly say I despise the faceoff /penalty rule.

i hope this experiment dies on the vine in the preseason.

What do you think about the new face off rule?

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
So now that we have had a chance to digest some of the new rule changes, I can honestly say I despise the faceoff /penalty rule.

i hope this experiment dies on the vine in the preseason.

What do you think about the new face off rule?

It's lame as hell and I don't even understand the spirit behind it.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Regarding the slashing rules. I like the spirit of it. In practice? We'll see. If anyone remembers the 05/06 season, there was a great deal of focus on hooking calls, to the point where if the blade of the defender's stick grazed the hands of the puck carrier, it was called. It certainly increased scoring, but the backlash from fans was immense.

Some people just can't be pleased. The ones screaming for the refs to call penalties by the book are the same ones complaining that all the penalties are slowing the game down.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
It's lame as hell and I don't even understand the spirit behind it.

The more the refs get involves the more the players act like soccer players and b.itch and whine to the refs about every thing, the focus at times last night was more about campaigning to the ref to call penalties than it was to play hockey.

The spirit is to speed up the games but all it has done so far is make it a special teams event. I get things will change in the regular season, players will adapt or they will call it less but the frustration that players on both teams had with the calls was clear evidence that they had no idea what the new rule was. There were many many occasions that players were thrown out for no infraction what so ever.

Its bothersome that this was not an issue till Crosby was schooled by Turris in the playoffs, now its an issue. I have never , not once ever heard a fan or a player complain that there needs to be a change to the face off rules, so in my mind no harm no foul.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I hope they back off the stick taps and heavily enforce the slashes to the hands.

The faceoff rule has being a sideshow

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Regarding the slashing rules. I like the spirit of it. In practice? We'll see. If anyone remembers the 05/06 season, there was a great deal of focus on hooking calls, to the point where if the blade of the defender's stick grazed the hands of the puck carrier, it was called. It certainly increased scoring, but the backlash from fans was immense.

Some people just can't be pleased. The ones screaming for the refs to call penalties by the book are the same ones complaining that all the penalties are slowing the game down.

They were kinda overzealous at time calling slashing night, in general it was a horrible game. No flow to it.

RonEllisFan

Nov 8, 2009
Rjukan
skidooelan.blogspot.com
Hand slash had to be addressed, that being said, I look at equipment as a factor. Elbow pads and shoulder pad have increased in size over the last 25 years, with the increase of concussions, it could be because concussions was just getting your bell rung back then. The exact opposite happened with gloves, I cringe when I see bare skin on the fore arm with player on the ice. Players like the smaller gloves when handling the puck, but at what expense.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Hand slash had to be addressed, that being said, I look at equipment as a factor. Elbow pads and shoulder pad have increased in size over the last 25 years, with the increase of concussions, it could be because concussions was just getting your bell rung back then. The exact opposite happened with gloves, I cringe when I see bare skin on the fore arm with player on the ice. Players like the smaller gloves when handling the puck, but at what expense.

You're right when players are dressed like gladiators they feel invincible and that is part of the problem.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Hate the face-off rule

I don't mind the slashing rule as long as they're consistent. Problem is you'll have instances like on Marincin's slash last night were he lightly slashed the blade of the Sens' player's stick and got a penalty. Meanwhile Marleau goes in on a partial break and there's no call.

That's going to cause issues with that type is inconsistency.

As really does put too much judgement in the hands of the refs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad