The Star: Maple Leafs’ prospects eager to make the team a winner

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Even the Maple Leafs are catching Blue Jays fever.

Leafs prospect Mitch Marner has gone to a few Jays games and has watched on TV, amazed at how the baseball team so quickly turned a so-so season into a spectacular one. And he’s impressed with how the city embraced the team and has fallen in love again with the Blue Jays.

“It’s kind of crazy to think about, how Toronto as a city turns for a great team,” said Marner. “That’s what we want to do with the Leafs. We want to make it a great team and the fans will be behind us.”

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...rospects-eager-to-make-the-team-a-winner.html

Nice article although one error I noticed was that he named Connor Brown as the reigning AHL rookie of the year but I believe the Pittsburgh goaltending prospect won (Jerry?) and not Brown although he had a strong case.

Kapanen-Nylander-Brown as a line in the AHL this year?

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Brown is a natural leader. The kid has his head screwed on right. The Marlies could be really good and I'm liking it.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Even the Maple Leafs are catching Blue Jays fever.

Leafs prospect Mitch Marner has gone to a few Jays games and has watched on TV, amazed at how the baseball team so quickly turned a so-so season into a spectacular one. And he’s impressed with how the city embraced the team and has fallen in love again with the Blue Jays.

“It’s kind of crazy to think about, how Toronto as a city turns for a great team,†said Marner. “That’s what we want to do with the Leafs. We want to make it a great team and the fans will be behind us.â€

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...rospects-eager-to-make-the-team-a-winner.html

Nice article although one error I noticed was that he named Connor Brown as the reigning AHL rookie of the year but I believe the Pittsburgh goaltending prospect won (Jerry?) and not Brown although he had a strong case.

Kapanen-Nylander-Brown as a line in the AHL this year?

yeah you are right. Matt Murray: http://theahl.com/murray-named-ahl-s-rookie-of-the-year-p197396

i thought it was Brown though. anyhoo. I am very excited to see our little Leaflings!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Connor Brown, may be the best pick Dave Morrison and Brian Burke made in their time here. He has surpassed even my expectations of him. Keeps climbing every wall in front of him. Say it again, he will wear a letter one day.

CalgaryLeaf*

I can only imagine how much better Brown will get after a couple more years in the weight room and a couple more years of Barb Underhill's coaching. He's got the "it" factor in terms of leadership, hockey IQ, skill & drive.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I feel like Brown is a lot like Alfredsson. I don't know if its the ginger hair or their incredible high hockey IQ and leadership abilities, but I can't help but see a similar player, albeit lesser calibre, in Brown.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Brown works hard but still has some skill as well, he can get greasy if he needs to be.

I always figured he'd be a fixture on our 2nd line RW

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
We have a lot to be excited about. We have prospects who are very driven to succeed as well as will inspire others.

Our future looks bright, when you have young players join a team and the role models are Dion, Lupul, Kessel you are doomed!

In the Future the role models will be Marner, Brown, Rielly, young players will come in and see that a strong work ethic is what is needed. The 3 above will all wear Letters in the next 5 years.

CNDJam

Aug 28, 2015
Regina
Just wait until after the 2016 draft! Than it is time to really get excited. There with also be a lot of moves by than. The 2016/2017 season will be the time the Leafs start rolling.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It's nice to actually have hope for a change in Leafland.

Gone are false promises of immediate success. I'm okay if its a lousy season for the team this year, we've got some fantastic prospects coming up.

Khobahi

Feb 13, 2013
Canada
Everytime i read something that has quotes from Brown included i just get more respect for the kid. Can't wait for him to be a permanent presence on the Leafs.

leafers

Oct 2, 2006
I get all giddy thinking about our future forward core, even more if Stamkos signs...

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
This season is going to be rough, but i'm incredibly excited for the 16-17 season, really think theyre gonna show signs of putting it together then.

Lot's of great prospects in the system, now we just need to add one more bluechipper(d-man) and I think we can push forward with this group.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
This season is going to be rough, but i'm incredibly excited for the 16-17 season, really think theyre gonna show signs of putting it together then.

Lot's of great prospects in the system, now we just need to add one more bluechipper(d-man) and I think we can push forward with this group.

Pretty much on the same page as long as they can clear Bozak and Lupul, although I have my doubts on that. Also one of Nylander or Marner need to show they can be a #1C for us.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Brown is a great pick for the 6th round. What he did as a 20 year-old is comparable to Cheechoo, Ribeiro, Brock Nelson, Ben Maxwell, Marcel Hossa, Lars Eller, Aaron Palushaj, JP Dumont, Markus Granlund, Kadri, Marcus Foligno, and even Namestnikov.

I think we can expect better than even odds that he'll end up being a 40 point forward in the NHL at some point.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I'd like to see Brown/Nylander get a look early at forward and Percy/Harrington/Marincin at D.

If Marner has a great camp, give him the 9 games but only keep him up if he is doing something crazy like leading the team in scoring and league ranked or whatever...

It really feels like we are overloaded everywhere except at goalie and early trades are a given.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Think Bernier will surprise people with a more structure team in front of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad