Speculation: Many doubt that Luke Gazdic can do more than just fight

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
From Eakins today:
He's getting there for sure. I think he's already improved since we got him. He's a kid that's improved coming through the American League every year. I just think, I'm not going to say he's an excellent skater, but he skates well enough that he can get around the ice which is important," said Eakins. "He's getting better, having the confidence to make the play rather than 'I've gotta get it in deep.'"

"I see Luke continuing to improve and we hope that there's no limits on him. That he never hits a wall and he can be relied on to play 10 minutes. Because in the end, that's where you want to get your fourth line into that seven to 10 minute mark. If you can get them into there it takes a little pressure off the rest of the group -- especially on the road. That's where you really want to use your fourth line."

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=24443

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
The Oilers don't have enough NHL players. Its not size, grit, truculence or any of that BS. They just aren't good enough. Gazdic is part of that problem and its not just him. Its Joensuu, Jones, Smyth, the majority of the blueline and the large majority of the "depth" in the AHL who aren't good enough for spot duty.

Comment is BS IMO. We have enough NHLers but we don't have diverstiy of skills

We need

1.Size
2.Grit
3.Truculence
4.Top pairing defense man
5. Power forward/big 2ndline center
6. Steve McIntyre

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
You're the one that said 20 years. When I say 4 off the top of my head, you move to 10 years.
You are also saying Zero goons in the last 5 years when each team had one, and then you say "ahhh nope they're not goons at all". Why? "Because I said so". Or nope they didn't play enough.. and yet, they were still on the team.
Don't make dumb blanket statements and you won't have to try to weasel your way out of being dead wrong.
Oh and McCarty being Lucic... give me a break. Lucic will fight, but isn't a fighter. McCarty on the other hand.

Go high five yourself now.... Way to try to prove a point... LOL I guess you're right, Gazdic is awesome and the way those winning teams build a team is wrong.. You probably have ready arguments as to why Acton and Lander should play more minutes too.

MY MAIN POINT IS THAT WINNING TEAMS DONT FIELD GOONS OR SUB NHL PLAYERS. If you want to go back and oull out names from the past when hockey was different, knock your socks off. Like a pack of starving hyenas, everyone on this Forum of Dreamers is ready to pounce when someone makes a comment... LOL

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
Comment is BS IMO. We have enough NHLers but we don't have diverstiy of skills

We need

1.Size
2.Grit
3.Truculence

4.Top pairing defense man
5. Power forward/big 2ndline center
6. Steve McIntyre

The sooner these buzzwords die, the better.

We need:
1) Top 2 Dman or a Dcore that isn't mainly AHL players.
2) Good 2way 2C.
3) A coach in place for longer than 1 season.
4) A bottom 6 of capable NHL players.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
The sooner these buzzwords die, the better.

We need:
1) Top 2 Dman or a Dcore that isn't mainly AHL players.
2) Good 2way 2C.
3) A coach in place for longer than 1 season.
4) A bottom 6 of capable NHL players.

Finally an excellent post....

I think a REAL top 2 DMan along with a REAL second pairing guy would make a huge difference.. To add Ference t a premium price was a reach as he isn't a top pairing guy, no offense to him...

The biggest key in my opinion is adding REAL NHLers to the bottom six. Look at the bottom six guys on winning teams - they are all bringing something. Gritty guys like an OTT or Laperierre or Bolland would have been great.. Gordon has been a stud - just need 4 or 5 more of him.

Last edited:

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
Go high five yourself now.... Way to try to prove a point... LOL I guess you're right, Gazdic is awesome and the way those winning teams build a team is wrong.. You probably have ready arguments as to why Acton and Lander should play more minutes too.

MY MAIN POINT IS THAT WINNING TEAMS DONT FIELD GOONS OR SUB NHL PLAYERS. If you want to go back and oull out names from the past when hockey was different, knock your socks off. Like a pack of starving hyenas, everyone on this Forum of Dreamers is ready to pounce when someone makes a comment... LOL

Seriously, look at those teams before they got good. Look at a guy like Bryan Bickel, playing 4 line spot duty at 21/22/23 years old. Same with Hjalmarsson and Corey Crawford. Chicago sucked for years. So did Pittsburgh who incidentally has had a fighter pretty well since Crosby has come around (Laraque/Goddard/PL3/Mac/Engelland). They had terrible players. Rob Scuderi was ****ing atrocious. Boston actually turned it around by Signing Savard and Chara. You look a couple years before they were winning teams and they definitely did field "sub" nhl players, and they still employ fighters. Even if you think they are better than Gadzic by whatever metric, they are still fighters at the end of the day, and play 4th line.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
We need

6. Steve McIntyre
What the hell is it with you and Smac?
This goon in no way solves ANY problems on this team.
In fact just having his name associated with the team probably makes it suck even that much more.
Hopefully Smac never sees another NHL game and spends the rest of his life raising buffalo and resting his battered melon.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
Dallas Eakins believes in Gazdic

“We hope there are no limits on him, that he never hits a wall and that he does get to that spot where he can be relied on. In the end that’s where you want your fourth line into that seven to 10 minute mark, it takes a little bit of pressure off the rest of the group.â€

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->