Speculation: Many doubt that Luke Gazdic can do more than just fight

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
While I normally hate the "slept with your girlfriend" line, 16 of 19 is pretty funny. I mean, of all the things involving the Oilers you could endlessly harp on, why Gazdic?

Ya, I try not to call out people about things like that, but it seemed like those were the only posts I saw of his, so I checked, and well... I mean, the guy is out there for 5-6 minutes a night, and provides energy and grit. If he's our biggest problem, this would be a playoff team. We have much more important issues. He's hardly worth obsessing over

Zap Brannigan

May 23, 2004
The Oilers don't have enough NHL players. Its not size, grit, truculence or any of that BS. They just aren't good enough. Gazdic is part of that problem and its not just him. Its Joensuu, Jones, Smyth, the majority of the blueline and the large majority of the "depth" in the AHL who aren't good enough for spot duty.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
The Oilers don't have enough NHL players. Its not size, grit, truculence or any of that BS. They just aren't good enough. Gazdic is part of that problem and its not just him. Its Joensuu, Jones, Smyth, the majority of the blueline and the large majority of the "depth" in the AHL who aren't good enough for spot duty.

Gazdic is basically a goon for lack of a better descriptor.... Ask yourself how many goons Chicago, LA, Detroit, Boston or Pittsburgh have? None... They have 3rd and 4th lines of NHL caliber players. Teams like the Oil need a goon to at least give the fans something to look forward to on occasion and maybe cheer for a fight, which is an indictment of fans and a discussion unto itself.... Successful teams cast these guys off a long time ago.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
Gazdic is basically a goon for lack of a better descriptor.... Ask yourself how many goons Chicago, LA, Detroit, Boston or Pittsburgh have? None... They have 3rd and 4th lines of NHL caliber players. Teams like the Oil need a goon to at least give the fans something to look forward to on occasion and maybe cheer for a fight, which is an indictment of fans and a discussion unto itself.... Successful teams cast these guys off a long time ago.

I think you're out to lunch. Gazdic is more than a goon and is a good 4th line player for this team.

What do you think Carcilo is for La? Thornton for Boston? And so on.

You seem to have trouble understanding what makes a hockey team and rarely do they all fall in line like cookie cutters.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
I think you're out to lunch. Gazdic is more than a goon and is a good 4th line player for this team.

You seem to have trouble understanding what makes a hockey team and rarely do they all fall in line like cookie cutters.

I have no trouble at all actually, but thanks... Smart teams emulate success. The Detroit model is pretty much 20+ years in a row making the playoffs success, and nary a Gazdic-class player that whole time. Why? Cause a useful player is better than a goon. Putting a goon in the lineup is grasping at straws - who else do they have? Lander? Acton? Those guys will NEVER get anyone out of their seats, but Gadzic will with his fists... so might as well get some excitement on this crappy team...

Watch a game and tell me Carcillo or Thornton aren't lightyears better than Gadzic. Not even close. Thornton is a somewhat key contributor on a Cup caliber team, so maybe search for better comparables. If it wasn't for Oilers futility, Gadzic would be back in the AHL where he was where pretty much every other team thought he peaked..

Now about that lunch....

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
I have no trouble at all actually, but thanks... Smart teams emulate success. The Detroit model is pretty much 20+ years in a row making the playoffs success, and nary a Gazdic-class player that whole time. Why? Cause a useful player is better than a goon. Putting a goon in the lineup is grasping at straws - who else do they have? Lander? Acton? Those guys will NEVER get anyone out of their seats, but Gadzic will with his fists... so might as well get some excitement on this crappy team...

Watch a game and tell me Carcillo or Thornton aren't lightyears better than Gadzic. Not even close. Thornton is a somewhat key contributor on a Cup caliber team, so maybe search for better comparables. If it wasn't for Oilers futility, Gadzic would be back in the AHL where he was where pretty much every other team thought he peaked..

Now about that lunch....

Thornton has 3 points this season. 3.
Do you know how I really know that you don't know a thing about hockey though? In the past 20 years here are just a couple of players off the top of my head that have played for the Detroit Red Wings: Bob Probert, Darren McCarthy, Joey Kocur, Stu Grimson.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Do you know how I really know that you don't know a thing about hockey though? In the past 20 years here are just a couple of players off the top of my head that have played for the Detroit Red Wings: Bob Probert, Darren McCarthy, Joey Kocur, Stu Grimson.

Not to mention the fact that multiple other teams tried to claim Gazdic.

Zap Brannigan

May 23, 2004
Daniel Carcillo has a 53% corsi for on the year
Shawn Thornton is at 46%
Luke Gazdic is at 38%.

One of these things are not like the others.

The third worst in the NHL among players with 30 GP. Only two players worse than him are McGratton and Volpatti.

Excellent class Mr. Gazdic has found himself in

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Shawn Thornton is at 46%
Luke Gazdic is at 38%.

The third worst in the NHL among players with 30 GP. Only two players worse than him are McGratton and Volpatti.

come on now, corsi may be better than plus minus but it suffers from the same problem. You can't just take that number out of context like you're doing.

And btw, Gazdic contributed tonight. If he weren't there then maybe Calgary would have started taking liberties. Losing teams often lash out to gain momentum, and it often works if you don't have someone who can answer the bell and do a respectable job of it

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Shawn Thornton is at 46%
Luke Gazdic is at 38%.

One of those guys is a rookie.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013

Actually I know plenty about hockey, thanks for inquiring... Here's a fact for you to check - Bob Probert scored 163 NHL goals, McCarty 127... Both were actually fairly skilled players to go along with their play. McCarty wasn't all that unlike Lucic and we know how valuable he is... As for Kocur who retired in the 90's and Grimson, the team hasn't iced a goon in over a decade, and strangely enough they always make the playoffs... Stick with your logic though, but maybe include the Broad Street Bullies or Tiger Williams as reasons why a mostly useless player is good in today's game.... Again, look at the rosters of the teams that won the last 5 Cups. Zero goons.

Zap Brannigan

May 23, 2004
come on now, corsi may be better than plus minus but it suffers from the same problem. You can't just take that number out of context like you're doing.

And btw, Gazdic contributed tonight. If he weren't there then maybe Calgary would have started taking liberties. Losing teams often lash out to gain momentum, and it often works if you don't have someone who can answer the bell and do a respectable job of it

The only liberty took in that game was Belov hitting a guy from behind. McGratton sure stopped that from happening!

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced

Erm, he isn't though.

I've seen him turn over a puck at the blue line because he couldn't handle a pass off the boards, or even right onto his tape enough times. Sometimes the puck goes in (like Winnipegs first goal the other night) and sometimes it doesn't (like last night) but he definitely needs work.

And you can't compare him to Shawn Thornton, because he chips in and scores goals.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Actually I know plenty about hockey, thanks for inquiring... Here's a fact for you to check - Bob Probert scored 163 NHL goals, McCarty 127... Both were actually fairly skilled players to go along with their play. McCarty wasn't all that unlike Lucic and we know how valuable he is... As for Kocur who retired in the 90's and Grimson, the team hasn't iced a goon in over a decade, and strangely enough they always make the playoffs... Stick with your logic though, but maybe include the Broad Street Bullies or Tiger Williams as reasons why a mostly useless player is good in today's game.... Again, look at the rosters of the teams that won the last 5 Cups. Zero goons.

Nope.

08/09 Penguins: Eric Godard
09/10" Adam Burish (who in 07/08 had over 200 PIMs)
10/11 Thornton
11/12 Kevin Westgarth
12/13 Dan Carcillo.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Now about that lunch....

The Oilers need to lose that "we're the Red Wings" thing ... they are NOT the freaking Red Wings and never will be.

No one is the Red Wings, the Red Wings are just a freak occurrence and that doesn't work unless you have incredibly high I.Q. players and a Nik Lidstrom to make everything better on the back end, which in turn allows them to develop players like Datsyuk and Zetterberg at an extremely slow rate and build up their confidence.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
The Oilers need to lose that "we're the Red Wings" thing ... they are NOT the freaking Red Wings and never will be.

No one is the Red Wings, the Red Wings are just a freak occurrence and that doesn't work unless you have incredibly high I.Q. players and a Nik Lidstrom to make everything better on the back end, which in turn allows them to develop players like Datsyuk and Zetterberg at an extremely slow rate and build up their confidence.

Yeah you're right, silly me... The Oil should just stay on the path they are on. It's working great. Don't emulate the successful teams because really, what do they know these teams that win. Keep scouting all these awesome players and filling that huge pipeline (NONE!), then overpay young one dimensional talent, then don't attempt to or can't afford to sign capable players to contribute... Yeah, you're right. Stay a proud Oiler fan, to hell with the winning teams.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Nope.

08/09 Penguins: Eric Godard
09/10" Adam Burish (who in 07/08 had over 200 PIMs)
10/11 Thornton
11/12 Kevin Westgarth
12/13 Dan Carcillo.

Nope...

Burish played a total of 25 games in their Cup year between the playoffs and regular season, and is a FAR better player than Gazdic. I wouldn't compare the Chicago Blackhawks level of talent with the Oilers, so they can far easily absorb a Burish grinder than the Gazdic goon...

As for Westgarth, he also only played 25ish games. Not a regular contributor.

And again, Carcilo and Thornton aren't goons, they play regular shifts and contribute far more..

Gazdic is simply not that good, yet he gets a roster spot. Facts, the Oilers have absolutely nobody else even remotely capable of replacing him, so really who cares.

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
Nope...

Burish played a total of 25 games in their Cup year between the playoffs and regular season, and is a FAR better player than Gazdic. I wouldn't compare the Chicago Blackhawks level of talent with the Oilers, so they can far easily absorb a Burish grinder than the Gazdic goon...

And again, Carcilo and Thornton aren't goons, they play regular shifts and contribute far more..

Gazdic is simply not that good, yet he gets a roster spot. Facts, the Oilers have absolutely nobody else even remotely capable of replacing him, so really who cares.

The Oilers are a long way from being Stanley Cup contenders and Gazdic is a rookie. Those players all took time to develop. The players they are now are not the players they were as rookies. If the Oilers become a contender in a few years and Gazdic hasn't developed then he won't be on the team. It isn't unrealistic for Gazdic to become a quality 4th liner. You are comparing a team and player that are still works in progress to teams and players that have reached the peak of their game.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Nope...

Of course you wouldn't compare the talent level of the teams. But you're the one who said the teams did not have those tough guys on the teams perioid, when they did.

You should read the book don't call me goon. You'll see some names where they were more than face punchers.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007

You're the one that said 20 years. When I say 4 off the top of my head, you move to 10 years.
You are also saying Zero goons in the last 5 years when each team had one, and then you say "ahhh nope they're not goons at all". Why? "Because I said so". Or nope they didn't play enough.. and yet, they were still on the team.
Don't make dumb blanket statements and you won't have to try to weasel your way out of being dead wrong.
Oh and McCarty being Lucic... give me a break. Lucic will fight, but isn't a fighter. McCarty on the other hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->