Speculation: Many doubt that Luke Gazdic can do more than just fight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
Just a reminder that the correct spelling here is "Gazdic". Haven't seen the name myself before, but it would be good out of respect for the player if we get away from all the variations I'm seeing here - "Gadzic", "Gazdik", etc.

I wonder what this means for Smyth. Once Nuge returns, I see our depth chart at left wing as being Hall, Perron, Joensuu, and Gazdic. Where does Smyth fit in?

I don't think he's suited to a bottom 6 role.

Oil Town XJ

Dec 17, 2008
Edmonton
I cant wait till gags and rnh are back. we have a pretty solid line up

Hall RNH Eberle
Perron Gags Yak
Jonesuu Gordon Hemsky
Gadzic Acton Brown
Smyth

Smyth can swap in and out of the line up with gadzic or brown

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I was quite impressed from what I saw of Gazdic last night.

He certainly ain't no "huggy bear". He was throwing like he wanted to hurt the other guy.

Still have yet to see a few more games to see if he can actually play though.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I was quite impressed from what I saw of Gazdic last night.

He certainly ain't no "huggy bear". He was throwing like he wanted to hurt the other guy.

Still have yet to see a few more games to see if he can actually play though.

Ya, it'll be interesting to see if he can keep it up when the adrenaline from playing his first NHL game (in front of family) wears off. So far, I'm a big fan of the Brown Bag line, and Gazdic is most of the reason they were so good

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I cant wait till gags and rnh are back. we have a pretty solid line up

Hall RNH Eberle
Perron Gags Yak
Jonesuu Gordon Hemsky
Gadzic Acton Smyth

Brown
*edited without Oil Towns permission :D*

I agree with 90% of what you listed. This edited version of what you posted is a decent lineup IMO. Even at this point in his career Smyth is twice the hockey player Brown is. No way I play Brown ahead of Smyth.

Injury free this lineup has a chance at the playoffs...the key will be if they can overcome a major obstacle in losing Gagner and RNH.

The very early showing on Gazdic looks good and he is young enough to learn how to play without the puck in his own zone.

smackdaddy

x – Edmonton
Nov 24, 2006
B.C.
Just a reminder that the correct spelling here is "Gazdic". Haven't seen the name myself before, but it would be good out of respect for the player if we get away from all the variations I'm seeing here - "Gadzic", "Gazdik", etc.

I wonder what this means for Smyth. Once Nuge returns, I see our depth chart at left wing as being Hall, Perron, Joensuu, and Gazdic. Where does Smyth fit in?

I don't think he's suited to a bottom 6 role.

Why, on the first line of course.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
what I wanna see when Ganger and Rnh are back

Hall Ganger Yak
Perron Rnh Eberle
Joensu Gordon Hemsky
Gazdic Smyth(ugh) Brown
Acton

This post has me wondering who's the odd man out when everyone is healthy? Smyth really should be the odd man out at that point, but considering he's on the 1st freaking line I don't know if that's going to happen.

Captain Catatomic

SuprstitionCondition
Jun 25, 2013
It's just too bad that MacT got Smac in the first place. Total kneejerk reaction, especially considering we got a superior deterrent for free and now we have no roster spots.

Loving Gazdic so far, looks like a solid 4th liner so far. Not only can he beat the tar out of guys (solid fight tonight), he is somewhat of a scoring threat too, and he can skate decently.

Maybe I shouldn't be so hard on MacTavish. Some of his moves seem utterly boneheaded, but other ones like picking up Gazdic, Perron, Gordon, Ference and Belov all look pretty great so far.

Agreed on most part, however I dont blame MacT in part because Gazdic looked good in his game against Edmonton and it wasn't certain that he knew he would be placed on waivers for us to grab.
At least he had some type of reaction im a timely fashion to address and make a decision immediately unlike other GMs I know, who liked to drag their heels a bit. The consequence of one roster spot isn't as dire at this moment so it's ok in my book.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Agreed on most part, however I dont blame MacT in part because Gazdic looked good in his game against Edmonton and it wasn't certain that he knew he would be placed on waivers for us to grab.
At least he had some type of reaction im a timely fashion to address and make a decision immediately unlike other GMs I know, who liked to drag their heels a bit. The consequence of one roster spot isn't as dire at this moment so it's ok in my book.

good point. does Tambi claim Gazdic? probably not. he waited half a season, then traded a 3rd round pick for Brown.

claiming SMac should be seen in the same light. a knee jerk reaction, but a reaction that was probably necessary. One roster spot being used up by SMac vrs. Eager, in the grand scheme it isn't that big of a deal. Eager isn't a difference maker, at least SMac is the best at something. the team is tougher today than it was 2 weeks ago.

not every move works, but at least we have a proactive manager that doesn't sit on his hands and waits for the phone to ring.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
Gazdic played well against Vancouver. The fourth line was only line which keep +/- even and they contributed also fights. Like we saw against Pegs they can contribute offensively at least marginally.

Gazdic Acton Brown line is doing what 4th line should. Maybe they should win more fights but at least this working well now. They are not reason for the bad start of the season.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
Luke Gazdic has been only survivor from the line Gazdic-Acton-Brown. At the beginning of the season I thought that the line has don the job. It didn't work out.

Gazdic has done his job well. He can play 5 minutes in the game can skate a little bit, can't receive the puck, can pass the puck, he isn't scoring threat but he can fight.

I love to see him take McGrattan today.

I have two questions

1. Does he have potential to develop himself top 5 fighter in the NHL or is his destiny more like middle heavy weight.

2. Does he have potential to develop himself 8-10 minute fourth liner in the good team. Playrer who can score occasionally, recieive a pass and play in the 2nd PK unit

Last edited:

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
1 - Next time we play Vancouver I do want to see him and Smack out there.

**Smack can just stand in front of the opposition's bench so that the players can't get off of the ice. He's not going to catch anyone chasing them.
**Gazdic can chase everyone off of the ice so that they get beaten up by Smack on the way to the player's bench.

2 - Expecting Gazdic to flourish into a player capable of playing 10+ minutes a game is a lot to ask for.

**He's never topped 30 points in the OHL or 23 points in the AHL.
**He's 24 years old and he's packing on a lot of weight. I don't see him getting any faster or any more skilled.

3 - I'm happy with what we get out of Gazdic. I think that in the future you could throw him on the first or second line for a shift or two in games where things are getting really hairy, but I wouldn't ever give the guy third line minutes consistently.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Luke Gazdic has been only survivor from the line Gazdic-Acton-Brown. At the beginning of the season I thought that the line has don the job. It didn't work out.

Gazdic has done his job well. He can play 5 minutes in the game can skate a little bit, can't receive the puck, can pass the puck, he isn't scoring threat but he can fight.

I love to see him take McGrattan today.

I have two questions

1. Does he have potential to develop himself top 5 fighter in the NHL or is his destiny more like middle heavy weight.

2. Does he have potential to develop himself 8-10 minute fourth liner in the good team. Playrer who can score occasionally, recieive a pass and play in the 2nd PK unit

1 - He is a top 5 fighter in the NHL now.
2 - He took on Mcgrattan. Stood his ground. Gave out some punishment, but Mcgrattan won the fight. He takes on anyone and everyone and he's beaten the hell out of some really tough guys this season.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Luke Gazdic seems to be what we have needed for some time. He is adding toughness and he can skate a little bit. MacT said in his press conference that 4th liners should be scoring threats at least marginally to keep their spots. At this point Gazdic is keeping his spot.

I want to see him and Smack skate together against Vancouver later in the season and take care of the business.

Mac should never play another NHL game.

as for Gazdic, he does some good things, but he's not a 10 minute a game player. let him fill his role, and not try and force him into something he cannot do.

edit: didn't realize this was a bumped thread. comments still stand, though.

Still DRAI

Jun 15, 2013
1 - He is a top 5 fighter in the NHL now.
2 - He took on Mcgrattan. Stood his ground. Gave out some punishment, but Mcgrattan won the fight. He takes on anyone and everyone and he's beaten the hell out of some really tough guys this season.

Yeah, I mean, he beat Bordeleau convincingly and held his ground (if not started to win the fight) against Lucic, Gazdic is a legitimate nuclear option who can play a few minutes at this point.

Sure, he handles the puck like it's a snake trying to attack him, but at least he can go out for a shift without guaranteeing an opposition scoring chance, unlike Hordichuk and Mac in years past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad