Ansar Khan: Mantha's Arrival could be Quick

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
How?

Team too healthy.

I think Pulkinnen should be ahead of Mantha for a call up, in the event of any fwd injuries.

1) The clock is ticking until Pulks is Waiver Eligible.
2) He has proven more.
3) He has tenure with the organization.
4) Kind of relating to #1, but we have lots time to integrate and evaluate Mantha. Pulu? Not so much.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
How?

Team too healthy.

That's part of my problem with this, why does Mantha get a spot cleared for him but Pulu has to wait for injuries?
If Holland is willing to actually be a GM and make roster space for a up and comer IMO first crack at that spot should go the guy who's over PPG in the AHL now (on a team that had a terrible start) and was a 30 goal scorer there last year (as a rookie) over the guy who's played a whopping 5 pro games. If Pulu falters give Mantha a try.

Now before I get run over by the Mantha hype train, I am a big fan of Mantha and in fact I'll eat my hat if he isn't a better player than Pulu in the long term. It's just that with Pulu being very productive in GR and the fact that his waiver exemption runs out this season I just don't see why he'd be below Mantha on the totem pole.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Neither of them have any room unless we have injuries. Seriously. Who are we going to healthy scratch for him? Miller? Glendening? Jurco?

Absolutely safe from my point of view are D, Z, Nyquist, Franzen, Tats, Abby, Helm, Glendening, Sheahan. Maybe Miller, maybe Weiss if he reverts. Jurco MAYBE? Most of the forwards are playing too well to bench. This isn't like the past couple years where we had a bunch of hangers on who were too slow and too unproductive.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
Neither of them have any room unless we have injuries. Seriously. Who are we going to healthy scratch for him? Miller? Glendening? Jurco?

Absolutely safe from my point of view are D, Z, Nyquist, Franzen, Tats, Abby, Helm, Glendening, Sheahan. Maybe Miller, maybe Weiss if he reverts. Jurco MAYBE? Most of the forwards are playing too well to bench. This isn't like the past couple years where we had a bunch of hangers on who were too slow and too unproductive.

Yeah, I'm pretty interested to see what the plan for next year will be....

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground

No argument here that there's no space right now for either but the implication that Mantha has surpassed Pulkkinen as next in line for a call up (for offensive forwards) slightly rustles my jimmies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Interesting turn of events, there has been a constant anger of the Wings not considering this type of thing. Yes right now it would appear we don't have the space, but I find it encouraging this is how they think.

On Pulkkinen I have long believed that Babs sees no place for all of Nyquist, Pulkkinen and Tatar to be deployed at once in the lineup. They are too small for him, I disagree, but that is my take on what he thinks from the little glimpses he gives when talking about them. Mantha has a big cheerleader in Babcock fighting for this case and I think Holland sees him as the most physically mature prospect they have had since Primeau which was eluded to by Khan and I have said a couple times in the Griffins and prospect thread. Remember they weren't adverse to moving earlier on the last really dynamic physically mature prospect along in Fischer either.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Interesting turn of events, there has been a constant anger of the Wings not considering this type of thing. Yes right now it would appear we don't have the space, but I find it encouraging this is how they think.

On Pulkkinen I have long believed that Babs sees no place for all of Nyquist, Pulkkinen and Tatar to be deployed at once in the lineup. They are too small for him, I disagree, but that is my take on what he thinks from the little glimpses he gives when talking about them. Mantha has a big cheerleader in Babcock fighting for this case and I think Holland sees him as the most physically mature prospect they have had since Primeau which was eluded to by Khan and I have said a couple times in the Griffins and prospect thread. Remember they weren't adverse to moving earlier on the last really dynamic physically mature prospect along in Fischer either.

Even if Babs sees no place for the three minions, we need to get Pulks some NHL time. At least we can generate some Trade Value, or, See if we have an acceptable replacement for Tatar/Nyquist in the event a Trade comes up.

Simply put, Pulks needs to be first in line for a call up.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
is the title a Jonathan Quick pun?

But seriously, I'd like to see Pulkkinen get a shot first. At minimum, it would really help them find a trade partner for him. That way, Mantha can take over Pulkkinen's role a little bit and that should help him properly adapt. I mean, he's not even drawing top AHL pairings yet. He's got a bit more to do before he's done with the AHL.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I think the way Jurco is playing and Weiss all of a sudden this might not happen but I think it should happen. As for Pulkkinen coming up first, I think the wings are a decent threat for the first time in a while and they should bring up whover they think will make them better for a playoff run so they can gel with the team

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
Why are people so worried about his RFA status. If he can play in the NHL and produce you bring him up. People having Kenny Holland syndrome in here.

The biggest problems is too many forwards and you still have Pulks tearing up the AHL as well.

Z, Dats, Mantha
Tatar, Sheahan, Abs
Franzen, Weiss, Nyquist
Miller, Glendening, Helm

What do you do with Jurco? There's no one else to scratch. We would have said Abs last year but he's honestly improved and proven himself.

A trade is gonna have to be made here. We are going to have the same problem on defense with Marchenko getting healthy and Jensen pretty much being ready.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
is he ahead of Pulku and AA? And who he can replace , unless we trade Tatar + Kindle for #1 Defensemen

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
I think this is why some of us are willing to part with Tatar as much as I love him as a player. I refuse to part with Nyquist and there's really no one else to trade that has value.

Trade Tats+ Big E for an upgrade and a combo of Jurco, Mantha and Pulks can replace him. Still have AA2 impressing as well. Nosek looked very impressive before his injury too.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
It still doesn't make room for anyone in the line up. They're being scratched already. You don't bring up Mantha or Pulks to sit or sit anyone currently playing.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada

but what if he's not here next year? Either way were gonna be crowded on offense and defense and Holland will have to swing a trade

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

There's no "turn of events." Although it's never been put in black and white terms, the majority of this board seems to view 22 as the magic number in most cases. Guys under 22 who don't even have a years worth of pro experience aren't going to rile people up by staying in the AHL. It's when you're entering your third or 4th non-NHL pro year or are pushing 23 and have barely seen any NHL time that people get antsy.

davecrockburn

Jun 8, 2011
No points again tonight. I think we are getting ahead of ourselves with Mantha. He still needs to produce in the AHL (even if its a short time) before we consider bringing him up. No doubt he is amazing but its not like he is tearing it up and its not like we are hurting for top 6 fwds right now.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
No points again tonight. I think we are getting ahead of ourselves with Mantha. He still needs to produce in the AHL (even if its a short time) before we consider bringing him up. No doubt he is amazing but its not like he is tearing it up and its not like we are hurting for top 6 fwds right now.

Agreed. Pulkinnen should come up before Mantha

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Eh, no worries. It takes guys a while to find consistency in their first pro season. But he also wasn't on the first line or first PP unit tonight that I saw, so that's not going to help him score tons of goals.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
The fact that Jurco is on the 4th line, and producing, and Weiss has rebounded in the way that he has tells me there is no space for him. Unless we drop Abdelkader and Helm down to the 4th line and bump out Miller or Glendening, I don't see a spot for him. Realistically we have 10 guys that can play in the top 9 with varying degrees of success.
Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Nyquist, Franzen, Tatar, Sheahan, Weiss, Abdelkader, Jurco, and Helm. And then there's the case of Teemu Pulkkinen who has actually EARNED his time with Detroit with his exemplary play the last two seasons in Grand Rapids. As evidenced by my avatar, I'm a big fan of Mantha, but there's simply no room, and simply no good reason for him to be ahead of Pulkkinen on the depth chart.(yet)

Abdelkader and Helm would be exemplary 4th line players, but Babs likes them in the top 6. Jurco's on the 4th line because of it. Pulkkinen should absolutely be a day 1 player next year. Something will have to give soon.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO

This was going to be my question as well. I'd say Miller or Glendening would be the odd man out, or Helm since it's only a matter of time before he tweaks something after a hard sneeze.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I think this is why some of us are willing to part with Tatar as much as I love him as a player. I refuse to part with Nyquist and there's really no one else to trade that has value.

Trade Tats+ Big E for an upgrade and a combo of Jurco, Mantha and Pulks can replace him. Still have AA2 impressing as well. Nosek looked very impressive before his injury too.

Tatar is going to score 25-30 goals this season and is on a great 3-year deal. You don't deal players like that. This team finally has scoring depth, the kind of depth you need to compete for a Cup.

Given the injury history of Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Frazen, I think it's too risky to trade any young forwards right now. I say you ride the season out with Pulkkinen. See where he's at during training camp. Maybe he can steal a roster spot next year.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I think Pukky gets first call. We need his cannon on the pp more than size/skill. Sheahan has really stepped up his game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad