Mantha vs Hronek

Hahahax

Apr 2, 2018
Hey!

I'm in a simulated league based on real life performances and I'm hesitating on my next pick between 2 guys you know better than anyone.

I can either grab Mantha or Hronek... Which player do you think is the more valuable between the two?

I also considered Chychrun, but that's less relevant.

Thanks!

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Hronek, Mantha is too injury prone until he proves otherwise to be worth grabbing. He only plays 55-60 games a year due to his injuries.

Reactions: Hahahax

Hahahax

Apr 2, 2018
I picked Hronek, thanks guys, I needed a dman too, so it's perfect! 26 teams league, 6 rounds completed, pretty happy with the team thus far!

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
I love defensemen, but Mantha ainec, imo.

Hronek could go in a few different directions coming off these last 2 years. Mantha's mid range potential is locked down far more than Hronek, and his ceiling is higher to begin with.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
You got baited by the first few posts, in my opinion. Mantha easily for me.

Although I have no idea how your simulation runs.

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
Mantha, not close.

Hronek's struggles from December-February this season are too big to ignore. Even when recovering from injury, Mantha is still never a liability and generates more offensive impact than most of the other forwards, and clearly has the higher offensive ceiling, as we've shown flashes of several times.

Reactions: gbdet

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Mantha. Easily. Outside of injury concerns. He's just better. Anyone saying he's not are just worried about his injuries but whatever.

Mantha = Todd Bertuzzi
Hronek = Marek Zidlicky.

Depends on who you like more I guess. Neither are bad, but I like guys that threaten 30 goals or more regularly.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Mantha. Easily. Outside of injury concerns. He's just better. Anyone saying he's not are just worried about his injuries but whatever.

Mantha = Todd Bertuzzi
Hronek = Marek Zidlicky.

Depends on who you like more I guess. Neither are bad, but I like guys that threaten 30 goals or more regularly.

He averaged between 40-50 points, not too bad of a model to follow. I think Hronek will be better defensively, though.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Mantha but he might hit IR at times. unless the simulation factors in some intangibles for a top pairing D. not saying he is top pairing material we don't know but he is on the wings

2xJack

Apr 19, 2019
Is this a keeper league? If it is, Hronek wins this by a mile. Mantha is at his peak now, and as others have said he struggles with injuries. However, if I just need a player for one season I'd likely pick him over Hronek. If I'm building a franchise, though, I go for the younger player who is still improving.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Is this a keeper league? If it is, Hronek wins this by a mile. Mantha is at his peak now, and as others have said he struggles with injuries. However, if I just need a player for one season I'd likely pick him over Hronek. If I'm building a franchise, though, I go for the younger player who is still improving.

If Mantha is at his peak, are we considering his peak to be a player who plays on a 30+ goal and 70+ point pace? With probably 5 years of prime years and 8+ years of career left, I can’t take a longevity argument seriously.

Mantha’s injuries are not “injury prone” injuries. But Hronek’s inability to defend and likeliness to be replaced on the top pairing by a superior 200 foot player who already exists in the organization is a real situation. Like I said, longevity isn’t a concern with Mantha, and that is considering that you’ve capped his career at 25 years old, which I think is short sighted.

Lil Bert

Oct 14, 2018
Hronek.
Dudes dominated from the blue line in every league he's played in and is only going to get better. Half a point per game 22 year old defensemen are hard to come by.
Although Mantha has a better all around toolset and a higher propensity for offense he's always injured. Even though he's putting up points now and looks like he's put it together, this has been his first consistently good season (if you call missing 15 games consistent). He got scratched a number of times last year alone for the lack of compete he was putting out.
Hronek just seems like a safer bet.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I hope I am wrong but in all honesty I think Hronek gets overrated because of the complete lack of defenseman talent on the roster. Hronek is legit I am not saying that but is he a fantasy keeper once the core starts unfolding. There is certainly a risk to Hronek spending some prime years as a second pairing on a rebuilding team.

Mantha on the other hand puts up gold fantasy stats on the crappiest team in the NHL and still has many prime years left.

Hahahax

Apr 2, 2018
Thanks for more input, I almost got Mantha in the following round, sadly he went before my turn. The simulation puts a big emphasis on defense stats which are bolstered by PK time on ice so after the first 2 comments I was pretty confident with the choice.

Guess time will tell if I made a mistake!

roman star

ready to march
Feb 17, 2019
its a tough call because of hronek always playing with a junk partner . hronek with pieterangelo is a different player . mantha with his game figured out becomes a 40 goal scorer , its all in his head because physically hes an elite finisher . though you have to add that mantha , and all other redwing forwards , have never gotten help from the defense . ide take mantha because between his size , ruggedness , shot he could hit 50 on a good team

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I don't think I know enough about Hronek and I don't want to sell Hronek short, because we know from guys like Mantha, that development can take a long time.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
The wings without Hronek this year would probably make them a lot worse than if they didnt have Mantha. I would say it really depends on your team on who is more valuable. Neither are going to be full on franchise guys but theyre both that level of top pair/first line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->