Value of: Mantha to wpg

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
And his effort level and defence would rank last.
You could not be more wrong but at least you have conviction in your opinion, so there’s that.

1708019752725.png

• Haha
Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

WPGDEVILS

Jan 3, 2018
Why do you need low effort on your third line and to be frustrated at how someone wastes their talent?
I can admit I know of his reputation and haven’t watched to many caps games but from what I’ve been told by friends who watch the caps and some media is that he is playing for a contract and putting in effort. He could be a low cost goal scorer that the jets desperately need. Jets top two lines aren’t top of the league scoring wise and our defence don’t add much offensively either.

Mantha if playing hard could really help solidly a third line that can score and add another shooter onto our pp2 that loves to pass the puck and then take a shot from the point. Plus you get apples off that third line

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
By that logic Jonathan Toews wasn't a play driver. Panarin, Patrick Kane, Kucherov and Matthews definitely all not play drivers.
Toews was for the first half of his career before all the injuries he played through took their toll, the second half of his career he wasn't a play driver. The other guys aren't play drivers no. They are offensive weapons. I don't think anyone would say any of those guys aren't anything but brutal defensively. Maybe Matthews is close to average.

Reactions: kenobiwan

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
They couldn’t give him away in the summer, a half season of decent results might tip him back into positive value but not by much. Almost no playoff bound team would be able to fit even his prorated cap hit without retention, so if they want to trade him they are retaining or taking back cap the other team doesn’t want.

Middle 6 wingers are always the most plentiful and easiest position to acquire at the deadline, Mantha isn’t in the top crop of rental wingers, he’s the guy teams circle back on last minute and pay a 3rd and a 5th for him at 50% if they strike out on their primary targets.
They couldn't give him away this summer, but it's no longer this summer. Mantha has had his best season as a Capital in 2023-24. He's tied for 31st in the entire NHL in even-strength goals (15), the with the same amount as Connor McDavid and Mitch Marner. With Guentzel now injured, Mantha will be among the strongest scoring wingers available at the deadline this year.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
They couldn't give him away this summer, but it's no longer this summer. Mantha has had his best season as a Capital in 2023-24. He's tied for 31st in the entire NHL in even-strength goals (15), the with the same amount as Connor McDavid and Mitch Marner. With Guentzel now injured, Mantha will be among the strongest scoring wingers available at the deadline this year.
We don’t know Guentzel status, if he’s skates to be back around the playoffs someone will likely still pick him up and stash him on ltir.

Mantha, Tarasenko, Eberle, Toffoli, Duclair, Zucker, Kubalik, Henrique, Perron, Kane are some names just off the top of my head who are likely to be available or could be available depending how the next few weeks go.

Likely to be plenty of options for teams in the winger department. Maybe someone really likes him and gives up a late 2nd but I’m guessing he’ll be the 3rd and 5th/middling prospect kind of deal.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
He's a strong defensive forward? All the numbers indicate that isn't true. He gives up 3.2 goals per 60 despite heavily skewing toward offensive zone starts and seeing below average competition. He's not a good defensive forward at all.

Its the normal "Fanbase pumping up a player they are trying to trade"-schtick

I can admit I know of his reputation and haven’t watched to many caps games but from what I’ve been told by friends who watch the caps and some media is that he is playing for a contract and putting in effort. He could be a low cost goal scorer that the jets desperately need. Jets top two lines aren’t top of the league scoring wise and our defence don’t add much offensively either.

Mantha if playing hard could really help solidly a third line that can score and add another shooter onto our pp2 that loves to pass the puck and then take a shot from the point. Plus you get apples off that third line

wpg dont need him. He's what they call a "bad team scorer".

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Its the normal "Fanbase pumping up a player they are trying to trade"-schtick

wpg dont need him. He's what they call a "bad team scorer".
1708019537288-png.820129

not saying these charts are the end all but he's actually been good, especially this year.

Reactions: Hivemind

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Defense?

Mantha this season would be one of the better defensive forwards in Detroit. Perhaps do some research next time.

Don't be dumb, he would not. Seen him play with you guys, he plays exactly the same way as he always did in Detroit.

You could not be more wrong but at least you have conviction in your opinion, so there’s that.

View attachment 820131

Don't care what the fancy charts say. Lots of really bad defensive players end up looking good in these. Eye test shows him to be the same as always. Brendan Smith always had decent fancy charts and he wasn't very good at all.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
Getting Mantha for a 2nd would be a steal for most teams. He’s a strong defensive forward and scores. That doesn’t match with peoples eye test because people assume he’s lazy due to his skating style. He can’t seem to shake that reputation for whatever reason but he scores goals and doesn’t get scored on when he’s out there.

He should be valued higher but he won’t be
No, most people assume he's lazy because he's f***ing lazy.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
No, most people assume he's lazy because he's f***ing lazy.
You seem to have an axe to grind because he was your top line forward in Detroit that left you wanting more, I get it, but any acquiring team will not be deploying him that way. He doesn’t have to be Winnipegs, Edmontons, Colorados or Vegas’ top scorer.

But he can “lazily” get you some 5v5 goals while not giving it back defensively.

The advanced stats say it all and ask anyone in Washington on the “eye test” - he’s been just as good. They aren’t in conflict with one another.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad