Speculation: Mantha/AA

Dead Thing Fan

Jan 25, 2016
I foresee both Mantha and AA as top 6 forwards on this team(hopefully as soon as next season) and therefore are untouchable as far as I am concerned. My reasoning is as follows-

Mantha: on a team that is sorely lacking in size up front(or playing up to their size), his 6'5" frame should make him a keeper on that fact alone. He can easily be a Holmstrom clone by his net presence and be a factor on the PP by just screening the goaltender. He's good for 10-15 goals just bouncing in off his body. Then add his natural scoring skills(and he DOES have serious skills). To me he has power forward written all over(like Brendan Shanahan maybe??).

AA: Iirc, was originally projected to be a 3rd/4th line guy(Helm replacement). His speed is unquestioned and,in his very limited ice time in situations where he was not over matched, he showed me lots of offensive chops. Helm's problem was that his hands were nowhere near as fast as his feet. Thankfully, AA's hands seem as good as his feet. Not necessarily sure that he's a #2C, but I think he can easily be a top 6 forward.

Am I being overly optimistic????

A quick aside here: Regarding Larkin and AA's speed. Larkin has said that he thinks that AA is slightly faster on a goal line to goal line race(Blashill has backed this up). Where I think that Larkin separates himself is in how he corners. Most skaters accelerate coming out from behind the net(just like race car drives accelerates coming out of the turn). I swear to God that I have seen Larkin leave defenders in his dust as he ENTERS the turn around the net.

Last edited by a moderator:

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Until I see otherwise, I think this organization dislikes Mantha and he's very much available as part of a trade package.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I wouldn't pencil in AA as a top 6 forward just yet but there are not many people in front of him for the spot are their. Assuming Daytsuk leaves you have Larkin, Tartar, Nyquist, Zetts, Mantha, top 6 guaranteed probably. If Zetts and or Abby get moved to role players then its possible I suppose

Not sure if AA is top 6 material yet, I mean he certainly has the skills its the consistency he has to prove. Wings really need consistent scorers and not people that aer just fast like Helm. "Just fast" should never be in top 6.

I think Mantha's spot in the top 6 is his to loose purely because they finally have someone with size 'and' skill which is hard to get when drafting #15+ each year. I don't think they would move him without significant return and for D

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I think Mantha will be traded unfortunately. Just like you guys have said, seems like management dislikes. IDK why. Seems like a confident guy who enjoys competition. Nothing wrong with that.

I feel like he's a gem. Really hope it's just a way of managment trying to push him.

AA will be a nice winger. Whether or not he's a top sixer or bottom sixer remains to be seen.

I love both of them though.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Until I see otherwise, I think this organization dislikes Mantha and he's very much available as part of a trade package.
Yup. Which is such a weird approach. They've actually lowered their own asking price because their executives couldn't control themselves and keep their mouths shut.

Dumb.

The unappealing alternative is that the Wings want to keep him, but legitimately believe public insult to be an effective means of motivation.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

i really hope that happens so he can turn around and burn us one day

i LOVE seeing people who think they know everything get their comeuppance

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I think Mantha will be traded unfortunately. Just like you guys have said, seems like management dislikes. IDK why. Seems like a confident guy who enjoys competition. Nothing wrong with that.

I feel like he's a gem. Really hope it's just a way of managment trying to push him.

AA will be a nice winger. Whether or not he's a top sixer or bottom sixer remains to be seen.

I love both of them though.

I'm curious if when Holland brought up Mantha, If it wasn't to show case him to the league for those 10 games or so. He didn't play the last 3 games and then gets sent down to Grand Rapids during the playoff run when we could've used him the most. Wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't being show cased for those 10 games or so maybe i'm wrong was just wondering.

Dead Thing Fan

Jan 25, 2016
Mantha

I'm not sure where the idea that the team "dislikes" Mantha comes from. Larkin notwithstanding, the Wings never rush their prospects. Mantha's first yr. in GR was marred by his broken leg. I really think that management realizes his size and his scoring skill(last 2 yrs. junior(reg. season, playoffs and world juniors)169games/142 goals/132 assists/274 total pts). Obviously he won't score at that rate, but those numbers tell me that he knows where the net is and knows how to put the puck into the back of that net. If Blashill has a problem with any aspect of his game, it's up to him as coach to help correct those drawbacks. He is definitely a keeper in my books.

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
I'm not sure where the idea that the team "dislikes" Mantha comes from. Larkin notwithstanding, the Wings never rush their prospects.

Has nothing to do with his development timeline and everything to do with the comments made by management.

Everyone here knows the standard way Wings handle prospects and while there are varied opinions on that Mantha has been par for the course.

Don't think I've ever seen management talk about a prospect like Mantha recently multiple times though. Only think I can think of is Nyquist and the men's league comment.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
If we trade Mantha because management inexplicably doesn't like their top prospect and a top- line defenseman (we'd have to add) or defensive prospect (who had #1 potential) doesn't come back I will be livid. I don't see either of those happening if we trade him.

Dead Thing Fan

Jan 25, 2016
Mantha

Has nothing to do with his development timeline and everything to do with the comments made by management.

Everyone here knows the standard way Wings handle prospects and while there are varied opinions on that Mantha has been par for the course.

Don't think I've ever seen management talk about a prospect like Mantha recently multiple times though. Only think I can think of is Nyquist and the men's league comment.

What comments by who??? I live in Calgary so it is very possible that I have missed statements in the "local" media, but I do check both the Red Wings MLive and Winging it in Motown web sites on a daily basis throughout the season, and almost as often during the off season, not to mention the various Canadian spots sites as well. I stand to be corrected, but I seem to recall that teams were sniffing around Mantha last trade deadline and Holland basically said he wasn't going anywhere.

Jul 30, 2005
What comments by who??? I live in Calgary so it is very possible that I have missed statements in the "local" media, but I do check both the Red Wings MLive and Winging it in Motown web sites on a daily basis throughout the season, and almost as often during the off season, not to mention the various Canadian spots sites as well. I stand to be corrected, but I seem to recall that teams were sniffing around Mantha last trade deadline and Holland basically said he wasn't going anywhere.

"It’s great to be on the plane, it’s great to make major-league meal money, it’s great to be in the warm weather in Tampa. But if you want to be a player, you need to play in important situations."

“Anthony Mantha was a spare part in the (AHL) Calder Cup playoffs a year ago. Why does anyone think he is going to be the answer in Detroit?"

"Very, very, very disappointing," said Wings Senior Vice President Jim Devellano, who saw the Griffins play their final three games, including Sunday's 3-1 win, over the Toronto Marlies. "And I say that with a lot of sadness. Coming out of junior, we had such high hopes for him."

(Special attention to the fact that Jimmy D used the past tense.)

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...ndersson-over-mantha-start-playoffs/82866748/

http://www.foxsports.com/detroit/st...uccess-bodes-well-for-red-wings-future-050415

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007

at the time the comments were made, they were pretty much bang on. or would you argue otherwise?

In my opinion, it's up to Mantha to develop and prove he is no longer the same player. So how has he been lately? playing well? I'm not hearing he's scorching AHL or anything like that. Are you guys sure he's going to be the hockey Jesus Wings been waiting for? I guess hype from the junior goes a loooong way to some people. Because what I've seen from him in his NHL games... did not resemble the savior people were touting him to be. In any shape or form.

BTW I'm not saying he's forever going to be suck. He definitely showed promises, some nice touches around the puck. Also I'm not some sort of 'hater' or whatever. In my eyes, he wasn't fully ready, and that's pretty much the end of it. Hopefully he will be ready next season. Because Wings need him to be.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Didn't know where to put this, but Jeff Moss has Athanasiou's brother as a guest on his podcast today. Haven't listened yet but curious what they talked about.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Yeah. I thought he played really well in his callup mostly recently. I don't think he deserved to be sent down, and he damn sure didn't deserve to be insulted in the press.

and the Jimmy D quote was far, far too premature. Which I think we're seeing now.

Guess we will have to agree to disagree Guru. He showed some offensive flairs for sure but I thought he was exactly where he was. He did show promises. Let's put it that way.

I wasn't really watching his last few games and I was bit surprised he got sent down as well. However, ever since he got demoted, it seems like he's done nothing to prove he belongs in the major league.

And as far as the comments go, I believe that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Maybe I'm a bit old school or maybe it's my cultural background but really, if Mantha is crying about this, that would be an even bigger disappointment.

In the end, it does not matter what Holland says or what anyone says. All that matter is that Mantha should be playing well enough so Holland and Blashill have no choice but to put him in the line up.

btw this is just my opinion, but you guys really shouldn't worry too much about these kinds of comments. They are getting paid well enough to deal with this. Besides, Mantha is not some sort of super star who Holland should MOD (paraphrasing: kiss up too?). As I understand, this issue isn't really about the comment but the facts that [1) your darling Mantha is not playing 2) you hate Holland] are really at the core. btw when I'm saying 'you' it doesn't literally mean you Guru.

Last edited by a moderator:

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Yeah I think Mantha played more than well enough to be on the team. The guy has great offensive instincts and is impossible for other teams to approach because he's big and skilled. In junior he was a scoring machine that did little else but I very much like the complete game he has developed. In the AHL he's dominant even when he doesn't land on the scoresheet.

He was less-so in the NHL but that's to be expected and I think he will develope into a strong top 6 winger (probably 1st line) that can use his size to protect and distribute the puck as well as get in scoring areas where his excellent shot can put it away.

Unfortunately I don't think Blashill likes his game, and Holland and co don't seem too high on him. The only explanation I have is some behind-the-scenes character thing but I've never seen anything to suggest that's true so I hope he finds his way with this team because I really like his game.

Jul 30, 2005
And as far as the comments go, I believe that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Maybe I'm a bit old school or maybe it's my cultural background but really, if Mantha is crying about this, that would be an even bigger disappointment.

In the end, it does not matter what Holland says or what anyone says. All that matter is that Mantha should be playing well enough so Holland and Blashill have no choice but to put him in the line up.
My position on it is really not that they shouldn't have said that stuff, period, but rather that they had no business telling the media. It should have been an internal thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad