Trade: Manny Machado to the Dodgers for 5 prospects

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
The Cubs are still the best team in the National League and will likely rep the NL. Dodgers can have Manny but all it does is give them a competitive division win but none of those teams are anything spectacular. Manny adds a bat but they had better pitching last year. The Cubs lineup top to bottom is still better. Dodgers had the best seson last year but I still think the way that Nats series played out really impacted the Cubs. They depleted their pen to get out of this series.

The Cubs starting rotation is not exactly a huge strength.

The Dodgers are on a 37-17 run right now and Kershaw missed most of that stretch.

It's baseball and anything can happen in a short series but if LA has Kershaw pitching like Kershaw, I believe they get out of the NL.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
The Cubs starting rotation is not exactly a huge strength.

The Dodgers are on a 37-17 run right now and Kershaw missed most of that stretch.

It's baseball and anything can happen in a short series but if LA has Kershaw pitching like Kershaw, I believe they get out of the NL.

Playoff Kershaw is mostly a bust. To be honest with all the back issues and stuff im just not sure Kershaw ever gets back to being the guy he was. His stuff wasnt great when he was active early this season.

Cubs rotation has disappointed but we know who Lester is and Hendricks is 2 years removed from leading the league in ERA. Quintana has ben disappointing. The X factor for me is Yu Darvish. Maybe with all the time off this season he will be fresh in October lol. But looking at the big picture its going to be interesting. The AL teams can hit. The Cubs can hit. Astros have the rotation, Yankees have the bullpen. Regardless as usual im sure the bullpens will decide it. The AL will be really fun to watch this October. While the NL has surprises the intrigue is very little unless you have a rematch in the NLCS.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Assuming the Dodgers will go all in on re-signing Kershaw, this pretty much confirms Manny will hit FA. So far, good return for the O's.

I'm not so sure I like this for LA. Their offense certainly got much better, but they have to move around their infield just to slot Manny in at SS where his defense hasn't been all that great. Plus...rental.

Tha is tough. I almost think you let Kershaw go. His health situation long term probably isnt going to get better. When he was healthy earlier this year his stuff wasnt his best. How many back surgeries can a guy have before it doesnt work anymore?

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
The Cubs are still the best team in the National League and will likely rep the NL. Dodgers can have Manny but all it does is give them a competitive division win but none of those teams are anything spectacular. Manny adds a bat but they had better pitching last year. The Cubs lineup top to bottom is still better. Dodgers had the best seson last year but I still think the way that Nats series played out really impacted the Cubs. They depleted their pen to get out of this series.
I agree with this.

If Machado becomes a Dodger, I see it as LA loading up to try and compete with the Cubs.

Is it enough? I really don't think so. Kershaw is horrible in the playoffs and I'm just not sure, outside of elite Kershaw, who just might be past tense, it will be enough to hold off the Cubs offense this year.

Cubs pitching outside of Lester has been bad, but the Cubs will score more then enough runs to counter this.

Hopefully for the Dodgers this is a good start to shore up their team. Just not sold this will be enough to tackle the Cubs, tho

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I don’t see the logic in this move by LA. Their offense is pretty good as it is. They lost last year because once again Kershaw failed them in a big spot. Their pitching depth is the issue more than anything.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
I don’t see the logic in this move by LA. Their offense is pretty good as it is. They lost last year because once again Kershaw failed them in a big spot. Their pitching depth is the issue more than anything.

The SP market is barren unless you want to hand over most of your farm for deGrom.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad