Trade: Manny Machado to the Dodgers for 5 prospects

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
After a lot of guessing, it looks like the Orioles finally didn't botch something. Yusniel Diaz is coming back to Baltimore among other pieces which, for waiting as long as they did, is great for the Orioles. Diaz is high value. The Dodgers system is absolutely loaded, though, so I imagine the other pieces coming back are decent.

Great for LA, too. They had the system depth to make a deal and they have the perfect replacement for Seager. With the NL so wide open and nobody taking control of it, this could very well be the move that puts them back in the World Series.

Cheese Wagstaff

Dec 11, 2017
After a lot of guessing, it looks like the Orioles finally didn't botch something. Yusniel Diaz is coming back to Baltimore among other pieces which, for waiting as long as they did, is great for the Orioles. Diaz is high value. The Dodgers system is absolutely loaded, though, so I imagine the other pieces coming back are decent.

Great for LA, too. They had the system depth to make a deal and they have the perfect replacement for Seager. With the NL so wide open and nobody taking control of it, this could very well be the move that puts them back in the World Series.

Hard to say without seeing the full return, but I still say the time to trade Machado was a year ago this time or last winter.

Reactions: N o o d l e s

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Hard to say without seeing the full return, but I still say the time to trade Machado was a year ago this time or last winter.

Oh ya I definitely agree with you, but to get a prospect of Diaz's quality + other pieces seems like a success and trust me, giving Baltimore and that smug faced douche Showalter is not easy for me

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Then they would just move Seager to 2nd. Forsythe has been garbage.

I'll admit, I didn't think Seager would be able to stick at short. But he's been a serviceable defender there so far in his young career. Machado has -19 defensive runs saved this year at short at the all-star break. That's awful.

If they keep him after this season, Turner should move to second, and Machado should go back to third. Turner has played 132 games at second.

Edit: Turner's defensive numbers at second are a lot worse than I thought. I don't know, then...

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
MLB.com Dodgers list:

Diaz is 4th
May is 10th
Robinson is 18th (And seriously...Erroll?)

But that is a very deep system so in a normal farm, they probably rank higher.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
I think the time to go full scorched earth in Baltimore was around that same time. It was clear they wouldn’t compete in the division and their window had closed, they could have gotten plenty of value back then for Machado, Britton, Brach, O’Day, Schoop, etc.

As for Machado, I view this as a pure rental for LA, I still think he is destined for a team like the White Sox or Phillies.

Cheese Wagstaff

Dec 11, 2017
Does anyone know what this means for LA’s luxury tax? When Seager first got hurt I read on some site how Machado’s salary would put them over the threeshold. Wondering if they’ve waited long enough or if they just went over and are going to look to shed salary now.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Does anyone know what this means for LA’s luxury tax? When Seager first got hurt I read on some site how Machado’s salary would put them over the threeshold. Wondering if they’ve waited long enough or if they just went over and are going to look to shed salary now.

The exact info of where they are at with regards to the 197 M mark is hard to find.

This fan site had them at 182 M: Dodgers opening day payroll is $177.4 million, and $182 million against the competitive balance tax

Machado is a 16 M salary but I believe LA would only take on the pro-rated amount (so like 6-7 M) when it comes to the tax calculation. So they are still under.

LA made it a huge goal to stay under the tax this year so no way they do anything to destroy that goal.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Bet the Orioles are sending international money and Dodgers use that to sign Victor Victor Mesa.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
The Cubs are still the best team in the National League and will likely rep the NL. Dodgers can have Manny but all it does is give them a competitive division win but none of those teams are anything spectacular. Manny adds a bat but they had better pitching last year. The Cubs lineup top to bottom is still better. Dodgers had the best seson last year but I still think the way that Nats series played out really impacted the Cubs. They depleted their pen to get out of this series.

Reactions: Cubs2024WSChamps

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
I love the Phillies and have been following this story every day for a few weeks, glad they aren't trading top prospects for a rental but if the Dodgers end up re-signing Manny I will feel differently. I think he wants to go to the Yankees but if they don't want him I can see LAD paying up or Phillies.

Massive addition for this season though, if his game can stay steady after the move. Lots of cheap homers to left in Baltimore.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Assuming the Dodgers will go all in on re-signing Kershaw, this pretty much confirms Manny will hit FA. So far, good return for the O's.

I'm not so sure I like this for LA. Their offense certainly got much better, but they have to move around their infield just to slot Manny in at SS where his defense hasn't been all that great. Plus...rental.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad