WJC: Manny Legace vs Peter Forsberg

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Manny Legace - Unproven

Pretty interesting stuff

This year's tournament marks the 25th anniversary of arguably Canada's finest goaltending performance in World Junior history. In back-to-back games against Russia and Finland, Manny Legace faced 104 shots, stopping 101 of them. But his greatest performance came against Peter Forsberg and the Swedes.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Remember that game as if it was yesterday.

It was strange, after hearing about Forsbergs comments before the game about how Canada was not very good and that Sweden was going to win I knew the guy had made a big mistake and that we were gonna beat them somehow,I just felt it.

But man it did not come easy and Forsberg was incredible, he was scary as f***,best player in terms of on ice performance I have ever seen in this tournament to this very day.That whole team was scary really, reminded me of the old Red army teams Canada had to play.

Have to say it still ranks as my favourite win at this thing or at least top two.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Remember that game as if it was yesterday.

It was strange, after hearing about Forsbergs comments before the game about how Canada was not very good and that Sweden was going to win I knew the guy had made a big mistake and that we were gonna beat them somehow,I just felt it.

But man it did not come easy and Forsberg was incredible, he was scary as ****,best player in terms of on ice performance I have ever seen in this tournament to this very day.That whole team was scary really, reminded me of the old Red army teams Canada had to play.

Have to say it still ranks as my favourite win at this thing or at least top two.
100% agree with that entire post. Still the most dominant single game performance I've ever witnessed.

Reactions: jj cale

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Nice feature by TSN. Canada relied heavily on its goaltenders at the WJC in the 90s, and never more so than it did with Legace in 1993. Canada's most significant goaltending performance at the WJC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad