Manitoba Moose moving to St. John's (upd: confirmed)

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Man, there's going to be one messed-up alignment of the AHL next season if this comes through -- the AHL has made clear that they'll do pretty much anything to leave all the Canadian franchises in the same division, so the move from Winnipeg to St. John's would leave them in the same division (the AHL North, currently). That lineup would be:

St. John's
Hamilton
Toronto
Abbotsford
Rochester
Lake Erie
Grand Rapids

In other words, it would span five-and-a-half timezones in the same division... whee!!

Wow, I didn't realise how spread out they were.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
In the AHL the league alters the schedule so that teams in the same division can still play different schedules. The Newfoundland Moose will likely play a lot of games against teams in the northeast.

Trevor3

Nov 16, 2010
Stephenville - YJT
In the AHL the league alters the schedule so that teams in the same division can still play different schedules. The Newfoundland Moose will likely play a lot of games against teams in the northeast.

I just posted this over in the AHL thread, but the team will not be called the Moose. Regardless of what Winnipeg does, Moose will be dropped by the St. John's team due to the sensitivity of the moose-vehicle collision issue in the province. However, the club will take whatever colours the Winnipeg franchise uses.

Can be found in article here:
http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Local/2011-06-02/article-2553538/St.-John%26rsquo%3Bs-scores-an-AHL-team/1

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I just posted this over in the AHL thread, but the team will not be called the Moose. Regardless of what Winnipeg does, Moose will be dropped by the St. John's team due to the sensitivity of the moose-vehicle collision issue in the province. However, the club will take whatever colours the Winnipeg franchise uses.

Can be found in article here:
http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Local/2011-06-02/article-2553538/St.-John%26rsquo%3Bs-scores-an-AHL-team/1

Thanks for this article.

Its great to see that our prospects will have a great place to develope.

La Grosse Tendresse

Sep 19, 2005
Rouyn-Noranda
Moose will be dropped by the St. John's team due to the sensitivity of the moose-vehicle collision issue in the province.
Danny Williams said:
Too many negative connotations, with all the moose-vehicle accidents we have in this province. We don’t want to be launching a team nicknamed Moose in September when there are reports of accidents involving moose all over the news.
What?? :laugh:

Trevor3

Nov 16, 2010
Stephenville - YJT

Moose are large animals and destroy cars, killing or seriously injuring the occupants of those cars, when they collide. It's actually reaching an epidemic situation and has been a hot topic for the last several years.

I just googled "newfoundland moose" and came up with this story which shows the damage caused by these kind of collisions. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/story/2009/07/03/moose-collision-fatal-703.html It's from 2009, but you get the idea.

Here is the moose tracker:
http://www.cbc.ca/nl/features/moose/

SP

Oct 24, 2006
What about the Newfies? :sarcasm:

Probably not a good idea. Most people here are cool with the term, but there's a segment of the population who believe it's a derogatory label. It would be like calling a team the San Francisco Fairies or the California Wetbacks to them.

Would a team in the south call themselves the Rednecks?

Mowens

Jan 24, 2009
St. John's, NL
If Winnipeg does end up going with the Jets name, I would be fine with calling the team the St. John's Jets. Has a decent ring to it.

BrianL*

The St. John's Wort! I like that one!!!

I like it for another reason. I'm a homebrewer and wort is unfermented beer. This would work well for our minor league team if we choose to call ours the Brewers! :laugh:

PS The beer I made this week will now be called Sellout Koelsch. I shall savour it all summer long as I patiently await the leaves changing colour, and the air turning crisp with a hint of smoke from the stubble fires. Best. Autumn. Ever.

gee

Jun 28, 2007
Winnipeg
Howsabout The St. John's Screech? Real NL culture :)

alternate logo for 3rd jersey

screech.jpg

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
RT @kausatoday: AHL officially approved the move of Winnipeg's AHL team to St. John's where it will serve as NHL Winnipeg farm team.

MatthewT

Mar 29, 2008
Yes which is why some people could be sensitive to naming the team the moose because of the high number of moose vehicle collisions

That seems a bit silly. Were people "sensitive" to naming the new team in Carolina the Hurricanes because of all the deaths and property damage caused by said storms?

Danny said they will not be called Moose because of the negative associations with Moose in this province

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad