Manitoba Moose 2021 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
David Gustafsson and Kristian Vesalainen showing some good chemistry today.

Beauty shorthanded goal for Gustafsson, which was his first pro goal in Winnipeg.

The video doesn't show it but Gustafsson does some nice work at the Wild blueline and then feeds the puck to Vesalainen who scores a nice one in tight.

I asked Gustafsson post-game if he and Vesalainen talk Swedish on the ice as I know that when Vesalainen plays with the Finnish guys he always calls for it in Finnish. He spent a few years in Sweden so I wondered if he did that with Gustafsson. David confirmed that they do chat in Swedish which he says makes it easier for him.

Here is Peter's recap.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
It was a great play. Yes has looked very good for a while now, and he and Gus work well with each other -- could be part of a nice line with size, skill, decent speed (Ves has some wheels and Gus has added some pace and should get even quicker) and finishing.

Reactions: hn777

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
Sunday was my first Moose game in a while. Was excited to see some of these guys live. Gus, Ves and Chibby were all very good. Gustafsson has a lot of speed, I know he looked slow up with the Jets, but he definitely doesn't look slow down there. That shorty was great speed pulling away from those guys, very impressed with him. Vesalainen's shot is outstanding and his release is very quick. I like they have him on somewhat of a checking line with Gus, he's learning to play the right way. When Gus and Ves (with Reichel) were out there, they controlled a lot of the play. Although I believe they were on for two against, they played very well. Chibisov is a beast. He is very dominate along the wall and in the corners. In the 3rd he went into a battle in the corner in his end and manhandled three Wild players, (and a Moose D too) and took the puck out of the corner and went and stood behind his net staring back at the three Wild forwards as if to say, "go change! you guys lost!". He was fired up and yelling at Wild players all game. He's a very intimidating giant Russian.

I came away very impressed with those three players specifically. Fun to watch them.

Stanley didn't do much at all, but he didn't make any mistakes, or at least glaring ones, so I'll say I'm encouraged by that. He played on the 1st pair with Schilling, which was nice to see. I agree with whoever it was that said he could hit more. I don't recall a single hit. Meanwhile Skyler McKenzie was throwing his body at everything that moved, ineffectively mind you, but at least he was making himself known out there. McKenzie lining up on left wing against Cody McLeod was pretty funny to watch with McLeod leaning on him, but little Skyler didn't back down.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Speaking of captains, where is Stoykewych this year? Hurt? Or just scratched frequently?

He played around a dozen games and then was injured in late November, in a game against the Marlins, IIRC. Whatever it was has been serious enough to keep him out long -term and it isn't clear if he'll be back this season.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Sunday was my first Moose game in a while. Was excited to see some of these guys live. Gus, Ves and Chibby were all very good. Gustafsson has a lot of speed, I know he looked slow up with the Jets, but he definitely doesn't look slow down there. That shorty was great speed pulling away from those guys, very impressed with him. Vesalainen's shot is outstanding and his release is very quick. I like they have him on somewhat of a checking line with Gus, he's learning to play the right way. When Gus and Ves (with Reichel) were out there, they controlled a lot of the play. Although I believe they were on for two against, they played very well. Chibisov is a beast. He is very dominate along the wall and in the corners. In the 3rd he went into a battle in the corner in his end and manhandled three Wild players, (and a Moose D too) and took the puck out of the corner and went and stood behind his net staring back at the three Wild forwards as if to say, "go change! you guys lost!". He was fired up and yelling at Wild players all game. He's a very intimidating giant Russian.

I came away very impressed with those three players specifically. Fun to watch them.

Stanley didn't do much at all, but he didn't make any mistakes, or at least glaring ones, so I'll say I'm encouraged by that. He played on the 1st pair with Schilling, which was nice to see. I agree with whoever it was that said he could hit more. I don't recall a single hit. Meanwhile Skyler McKenzie was throwing his body at everything that moved, ineffectively mind you, but at least he was making himself known out there. McKenzie lining up on left wing against Cody McLeod was pretty funny to watch with McLeod leaning on him, but little Skyler didn't back down.

I recall some highlights from earlier in the season where Chibisov scored some goals with pure size and strength. He didn't show that in his 2 games with the Jets but if he can transition that power to the NHL I think we have something good there.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I recall some highlights from earlier in the season where Chibisov scored some goals with pure size and strength. He didn't show that in his 2 games with the Jets but if he can transition that power to the NHL I think we have something good there.
He's a UFA at the end of the season and I highly doubt he'll be back.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He's a UFA at the end of the season and I highly doubt he'll be back.

I've had that thought. I thought that might have been why he was called up a while ago. Give him a taste of the NHL and a pay boost. I was disappointed when they sent him back so quickly now that they are free to expand the roster.

But if Jets offer him a 1 way for next year, maybe he is persuaded. We'll see I guess.

Reactions: snowkiddin

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com

There has been quite a few rumours about what is happening with the AHL season including some saying they heard it would be cancelled. The AHL provided this update this afternoon:

AHL has advised its clubs that the indefinite suspension of AHL play will not be lifted before May.

The League is recommending that teams facilitate the return of AHL players to their primary residences.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Particularly liked what Pascal had to say about Berdin's unorthodox style. Don't squelch it, refine it, use it.

I think Vincent is an excellent developmental coach. He allows players to play their game while refining bad habits and developing weaknesses.

I find Moe on the other hand is too cookie cutter in that players need to fit certain molds.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think Vincent is an excellent developmental coach. He allows players to play their game while refining bad habits and developing weaknesses.

I find Moe on the other hand is too cookie cutter in that players need to fit certain molds.

Or wait for someone else to be injured to get their chance.

Reactions: surixon

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
The Moose signed two undrafted forwards yesterday, Jeff Mallot from Cornell and overager Isaac Johnson from the Winnipeg Ice.

As an Ice fan I'm pretty thrilled to see Johnson get a shot with the Moose. He was the team's top scorer and he was a dynamic player on the second line who brings decent size to the table.

On top of that, it's really cool to see the first Ice player moving on to the Jets organization. I can't wait to see him suit up in the AHL this fall.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
In our chat on Monday I asked Pascal Vincent whether Jansen Harkins, who is probably the most intense/focused prospect I’ve watched around the rink, would be a good example for him to use with future prospects who battle their own non-linear path as they attempt to reach hockey’s highest level.

“It’s going to be an example that I use for a long time” said the Moose bench boss.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
In our chat on Monday I asked Pascal Vincent whether Jansen Harkins, who is probably the most intense/focused prospect I’ve watched around the rink, would be a good example for him to use with future prospects who battle their own non-linear path as they attempt to reach hockey’s highest level.

“It’s going to be an example that I use for a long time” said the Moose bench boss.

Harkins is a remarkable example of a prospect that had good hockey IQ and basic skills, but could skate or play at a fast enough pace for the NHL. He obviously worked very hard to improve his skating and was able to translate his hockey sense and puck skills to the NHL level. It's a good example of how important it is to select prospects that have really good character and work ethic to go along with hockey sense and basic skills. A lot of improvement can occur if players are willing to work hard enough, but they need to have the basic hockey sense, too.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Harkins is a remarkable example of a prospect that had good hockey IQ and basic skills, but could skate or play at a fast enough pace for the NHL. He obviously worked very hard to improve his skating and was able to translate his hockey sense and puck skills to the NHL level. It's a good example of how important it is to select prospects that have really good character and work ethic to go along with hockey sense and basic skills. A lot of improvement can occur if players are willing to work hard enough, but they need to have the basic hockey sense, too.

I agree with this - but I think it would be dangerous to assume that every player could improve that much if he puts in the work. We are not all blessed with equal potential in our bodies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I agree with this - but I think it would be dangerous to assume that every player could improve that much if he puts in the work. We are not all blessed with equal potential in our bodies.
Agreed, but I think it supports a scouting emphasis on hockey sense and work ethic. Not every player has the physical attributes to improve speed and strength to the same degree, but the Jets have a few examples of players that made big strides into their early 20s, like Lowry, Appleton, Harkins, Chiarot, etc.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Agreed, but I think it supports a scouting emphasis on hockey sense and work ethic. Not every player has the physical attributes to improve speed and strength to the same degree, but the Jets have a few examples of players that made big strides into their early 20s, like Lowry, Appleton, Harkins, Chiarot, etc.

Yes, like Joe posted in the draft thread;
Skating
Skill
HIQ
Size
and HIQ should maybe be first on that list. Work ethic/energy/commitment should be on the list also. I used all of those words to really apply to one thing. They go to that ability to improve.

Reactions: ps241

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
It's likely a foregone conclusion that the AHL season is over. Clearly they can't make money in front of empty arenas like other leagues can. I wonder what it means for the fall. I'd guess that the 2020-21 season is shortened at the very least.

This would mean the NHL would have to amend rules to allow for a larger taxi squad to be part of the parent clubs. There's lots of work to do in planning 2020-21 and the sooner the league cuts bait on 2019-20, the better in my view.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->