Status
Not open for further replies.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I was at the Moose game last night and here's what I observed:

Forwards:

Gustafsson: Probably our most dangerous forward. For a man of his size, he's got wheels. He's big and strong and uses his strength along the boards and in front of the net. He has a bit of a mean streak. He was also pretty good at the face-off circle. He was really sound defensively (he plays defense first and his positioning is great, especially for a rookie) but he was a threat offensively as well. Broke away and started an odd man rush with his speed a couple of times. He has a nice hard shot too.

Vesalainen: Dennis Beyak will love him because tight turns are his bread and butter. He was consistently losing defenders by tight turning and spinning with the puck. He reminded me a bit of Wheeler, as he worked the half-boards a lot in the offensive zone and was making quite a few nice passes that resulted in dangerous chances. He wasn't a liability defensively. Would like to see him shoot more. He also had a tendency to try to do too much in the neutral zone; he was trying to weave through tons of defenders. Would like to see him use his teammates more in that situation.

Suess: Really liked his game. He's another guy who was taking care of his zone first. Great stick checking and he has some sandpaper to his game. Goes to the net hard offensively. He was another guy who tended to overpass a bit though. Would like to see more shots. He scored a nice PP goal to give the Moose the lead with less than four minutes remaining but Vesalainen deserves most of the credit as it was a sweet setup by him.

Griffith: Didn’t have a great game by his standards. Didn’t notice him much but I also don’t think he got as much ice time. He’s really missing his buddy Logan Shaw. They have great chemistry together. Griffith was robbed of a goal when he was hauled down on a breakaway on an empty net. Griffith showed great speed and effort to get in that position but the refs elected to call a minor penalty rather than award a goal.

Spacek: Really nice game by him. His goal in the second period was courtesy of a lucky break but he was around the net all night. One of the few Moose players who I saw playing more of a shoot first game.

Lipon: He plays a very tenacious game and he was physical again tonight. Very similar to Brandon Tanev. I’m assuming Stoykewych is gone next year and if that’s the case Lipon is likely named captain. If not he definitely deserves another cup of coffee in the NHL.

McKenzie: Love this kid’s effort. He’s tiny and I’m not sure if the skill is there but he plays a determined style and goes to the dirty areas that he needs to go to. I hope it pans out for him. Love the effort. Hopefully everything else comes with experience.

Poirier: I believe he is property of the Moose but he actually had a really good game for some reason. Maybe our second most dangerous forward after Gus. He was just buzzing all night. I know he was a former 1st round pick of the Flames back in 2013 so the talent should be there. His stats this year in the AHL aren’t dazzling though so he probably just had a random good game.

The fourth line (Pedersen, Maier and Moynihan) generally played quite well and routinely had the Wolves hemmed in. Not sure if they were just having a good game but they looked really good.

Defense:

Schilling: He was our best defenseman, on both ends of the ice. We know he struggles with the Jets but I guess in the AHL the game is slow enough for him because he knows when to pinch and when to get back and he’s an effortless skater out there (compared to the others). His shot from the point helped create several chances for us and he’s good at stopping breakout passes from the opposition and he always seemed to get his stick in the passing and shooting lanes in the defensive zone.

Kovacevic: Really liked his game too. He’s such a smooth-skating defenseman. He got caught out position a few times defensively but mostly knows where to be. Just seems like a solid, steady defenseman, both in the offensive zone and the defensive zone. His game kind of reminded of Enstrom later in his career but Kovacevic is bigger and more physical. He looks super promising and if the Jets fall out of the playoff race I would like to see him get some games this year.

Gawanke: Great offensive instincts and he wasn’t actually a liability defensively (like he was last time I saw him). He needs more seasoning in the AHL for sure though. I also would’ve liked to have seen him get more ice time. Particularly on the PP, I really like his point shot. It’s not hard, but it’s accurate.

Nogier: Steady defensively, blackhole offensively. He’s another candidate for Moose captain if Stoykewych leaves.

Stanley: Had a fight and a game misconduct about five minutes in so I couldn’t get a good look at him unfortunately.

Comrie: He was announced in the arena as the first star, stopping 25 of 27 in the W. Not sure if I agree with that but he played real solid. Not spectacular, but solid. First goal was on him. He was slightly screened but it hit his glove and he should have had it. Second goal wasn’t his fault, just a great shot. He was under absolute siege in the final three minutes with the Moose up and stood his ground. In the second period, the Moose stopped playing for 5-10 minutes and Comrie kept them in it. Also, the Moose were turning the puck over a lot in the defensive zone (especially in the first period) and Comrie was there to bail them out. He’s certainly a capable AHL goalie and I’m happy to have him back in the fold to mentor Berdin.

Also, congratulations to Danny Moynihan, who scored his first career AHL goal today in his first game with the Moose.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I was at the Moose game last night and here's what I observed:

Forwards:

Gustafsson: Probably our most dangerous forward. For a man of his size, he's got wheels. He's big and strong and uses his strength along the boards and in front of the net. He has a bit of a mean streak. He was also pretty good at the face-off circle. He was really sound defensively (he plays defense first and his positioning is great, especially for a rookie) but he was a threat offensively as well. Broke away and started an odd man rush with his speed a couple of times. He has a nice hard shot too.

Vesalainen: Dennis Beyak will love him because tight turns are his bread and butter. He was consistently losing defenders by tight turning and spinning with the puck. He reminded me a bit of Wheeler, as he worked the half-boards a lot in the offensive zone and was making quite a few nice passes that resulted in dangerous chances. He wasn't a liability defensively. Would like to see him shoot more. He also had a tendency to try to do too much in the neutral zone; he was trying to weave through tons of defenders. Would like to see him use his teammates more in that situation.

Suess: Really liked his game. He's another guy who was taking care of his zone first. Great stick checking and he has some sandpaper to his game. Goes to the net hard offensively. He was another guy who tended to overpass a bit though. Would like to see more shots. He scored a nice PP goal to give the Moose the lead with less than four minutes remaining but Vesalainen deserves most of the credit as it was a sweet setup by him.

Griffith: Didn’t have a great game by his standards. Didn’t notice him much but I also don’t think he got as much ice time. He’s really missing his buddy Logan Shaw. They have great chemistry together. Griffith was robbed of a goal when he was hauled down on a breakaway on an empty net. Griffith showed great speed and effort to get in that position but the refs elected to call a minor penalty rather than award a goal.

Spacek: Really nice game by him. His goal in the second period was courtesy of a lucky break but he was around the net all night. One of the few Moose players who I saw playing more of a shoot first game.

Lipon: He plays a very tenacious game and he was physical again tonight. Very similar to Brandon Tanev. I’m assuming Stoykewych is gone next year and if that’s the case Lipon is likely named captain. If not he definitely deserves another cup of coffee in the NHL.

McKenzie: Love this kid’s effort. He’s tiny and I’m not sure if the skill is there but he plays a determined style and goes to the dirty areas that he needs to go to. I hope it pans out for him. Love the effort. Hopefully everything else comes with experience.

Poirier: I believe he is property of the Moose but he actually had a really good game for some reason. Maybe our second most dangerous forward after Gus. He was just buzzing all night. I know he was a former 1st round pick of the Flames back in 2013 so the talent should be there. His stats this year in the AHL aren’t dazzling though so he probably just had a random good game.

The fourth line (Pedersen, Maier and Moynihan) generally played quite well and routinely had the Wolves hemmed in. Not sure if they were just having a good game but they looked really good.

Defense:

Schilling: He was our best defenseman, on both ends of the ice. We know he struggles with the Jets but I guess in the AHL the game is slow enough for him because he knows when to pinch and when to get back and he’s an effortless skater out there (compared to the others). His shot from the point helped create several chances for us and he’s good at stopping breakout passes from the opposition and he always seemed to get his stick in the passing and shooting lanes in the defensive zone.

Kovacevic: Really liked his game too. He’s such a smooth-skating defenseman. He got caught out position a few times defensively but mostly knows where to be. Just seems like a solid, steady defenseman, both in the offensive zone and the defensive zone. His game kind of reminded of Enstrom later in his career but Kovacevic is bigger and more physical. He looks super promising and if the Jets fall out of the playoff race I would like to see him get some games this year.

Gawanke: Great offensive instincts and he wasn’t actually a liability defensively (like he was last time I saw him). He needs more seasoning in the AHL for sure though. I also would’ve liked to have seen him get more ice time. Particularly on the PP, I really like his point shot. It’s not hard, but it’s accurate.

Nogier: Steady defensively, blackhole offensively. He’s another candidate for Moose captain if Stoykewych leaves.

Stanley: Had a fight and a game misconduct about five minutes in so I couldn’t get a good look at him unfortunately.

Comrie: He was announced in the arena as the first star, stopping 25 of 27 in the W. Not sure if I agree with that but he played real solid. Not spectacular, but solid. First goal was on him. He was slightly screened but it hit his glove and he should have had it. Second goal wasn’t his fault, just a great shot. He was under absolute siege in the final three minutes with the Moose up and stood his ground. In the second period, the Moose stopped playing for 5-10 minutes and Comrie kept them in it. Also, the Moose were turning the puck over a lot in the defensive zone (especially in the first period) and Comrie was there to bail them out. He’s certainly a capable AHL goalie and I’m happy to have him back in the fold to mentor Berdin.

Also, congratulations to Danny Moynihan, who scored his first career AHL goal today in his first game with the Moose.

Saved me the trouble of writing up.a report lol.

Was also at the game and thought the Gus, McKenzie, and Lipon were the beat line on the ice. Gus is going to be a player for us and might be a good fit to play with Harkins and Roslovic at some point in the future.

You can see what Ves wants to do but isn't quite strong enough yet to pull it off.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Great post, Snowkiddin, spot-on observations, and I have very little to add, thought Gawanke had one of his best overall games, and would like to see Ves and Gus together. Also you sure notice Chibby when he isn’t there.

Last edited:

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Maybe Gus gets another stint with the Jets later this year? He has played 22 games so far, and it's 40 until it counts as year towards UFA correct?

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
As I watch the game, I'm trying to focus in on a few players looking for the potential to make to the Jets.

Gustafsson is going to be a Jet. Just a good hockey player. Mature, defensively sound and as Kyosama said, some offensive ability.

Kovacevic moves really well, makes a first good pass and has pretty good gap. I would like to see more of him. He's a righty.

Stanley hasn't made any mistakes so far, has crunched a couple of guys real good and joined the rush at the right time. He's progressing and I'm hoping that with a little more work, takes that next step.

edit - Berdin as well. I think he has a really good chance of being our backup next year.

Last edited:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I went to tonight's game.

Here are some of my observations:

Gustafsson is solid. I thought he was really strong tonight. Carried the puck through the neutral zone confidently, used his size well, was in the right positions defensively. He was taking a regular shift on the PK with Lipon. His line with Mc Kenzie and Lipon were the early momentum builders, with some good offensive zone shifts.

Vesalainen uses his size well, looks tenacious on the forecheck at times, carries the puck well. He was the most dangerous shooter on the Moose tonight, but there was also times that the team was looking for him back door, and it wasn't there. His speed may be an issue still as he was late on a lot of pucks as well.

Griffith sure handles the puck well, and is good on his edges, but tends to overhandle it too. Probably the most skilled Moose player on the ice tonight.

Suess was pretty average to me. Has some good battle in him. I'd like to see Gustafsson get those top line minutes instead of him.

Lipon was aggressive tonight, battled hard. He's kind of everywhere, but was careless with the puck at times. Looked frustrated almost every time coming off the ice. Was probably the best Moose player in front of the Wolves net.

Mc Kenzie was ok, pretty good positionally.

Spacek was disappointing to me. He seemed lacksidaisical defensively and offensively. I thought the 1st PP would have been better with Lipon than him on it. I don't think he can make the NHL the way he plays. At least not with the Jets.

Kristian Reichel had a good game. Probably the best of the AHL contract players.

On defense Gawanke's skating stood out to me. Numerous times he just skated the puck out of the zone. Reminds me of Niku. Good first pass, but gets lost in the defensive zone.

Stanley, his partner, was inconsistent. I like the way he uses his size to protect the puck. And the long reach defensively reminds me of the way Myers plays. Probably had the most shot attempts for the Moose, but nothing particularly dangerous. Was somewhat impressed with the way he played on the PK. However he just seems tentative. His gap control is not great. I was really disappointed seeing him get beat on the cycle play below the net at least 3 times, where a big guy like him should be sealing off the man, and winning the puck easily. Processing the game is still a challenge for him.

Kovacevic is an impressive skater. Made some strong defensive plays. Was good moving the puck, for the most part. He also had some defensive lapses though. Probably needs the whole season for continued development. Curiously he was paired with Beaudoin, who is also a righty, instead of Schilling, the partner he was excelling with early on. Schilling most played with Nogier.

Nogier had a pretty mistake free game, was strong on the PK. Nothing special, but probably deserves the next callup if Sbisa is out.

Schilling made quite a few mistakes tonight, but also made some plays. Didn't really like him QBing the 1st PP. Gawanke seems like a better choice, with his strong skating.

Berdin was solid. Gave up 1 goal on the PK in the 1st. Otherwise made some big saves, great saves, as he was left out to dry a few times. Love the way he fights in the crease. Not afraid to use his blocker.The puckhandling was a little Bryzgalovish though. On the other side Dansk probably made the save of the game robbing Pederson late in the game.

Watching them play tonight the Moose are going to be hard pressed to make the playoffs with only 7 forwards out of 12, on 2- way contracts, and the defense now relying on 2 1st year players to generate offense. Team looked out of sync at times tonight. Frustrated. Breakouts weren't quick enough.

I haven't been to a Moose game in awhile. The attendance seemed comprised of about 40% yelling, screaming, and dancing kids.

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca

A friend was telling how impressed he was with Gus last night.

Gustafsson is going to be a Jet. Just a good hockey player. Mature, defensively sound and as Kyosama said, some offensive ability.

Gustafsson is solid. I thought he was really strong tonight. Carried the puck through the neutral zone confidently, used his size well, was in the right positions defensively. He was taking a regular shift on the PK with Lipon. His line with Mc Kenzie and Lipon were the early momentum builders, with some good offensive zone shifts.

Gustafsson might make Lowry expendable in a trade as soon as next year. EDIT: And I say this as a huge fan of Lowry

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Gustafsson might make Lowry expendable in a trade as soon as next year. EDIT: And I say this as a huge fan of Lowry
If Gustafsson can take a step forward in skating / quickness, I think he'll be a valuable player in the bottom 6. He's really been improving quickly.

Reactions: snowkiddin

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
If Gustafsson can take a step forward in skating / quickness, I think he'll be a valuable player in the bottom 6. He's really been improving quickly.

I am glad he is progressing I wasn’t a huge fan of his usage early in the season but it sounds like that ship has been righted.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Moose on a bit of a slide right now.

Berding seems to be struggling a bit in his first year as a starter. He is going to need at least another year or two before he is ready for the NHL imo.

For all the flack he gets Comrie has been a pretty consistent AHL goalie over the last 3 seasons with .916 or better each year he's been on the Moose. I still wonder if the plan isn't to have him as the backup next year due to his cheap one-way deal. Can't see them having the cash to bring back Brossoit if they are serious about really fixing our holes this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad