Manitoba Moose: 2015-16 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I've been hearing some rumblings that Jimmy Lodge is getting a few games to experience the AHL then is getting sent back to the OHL Mississauga Steelheads... any validity to these comments ??

Isn't he too old to compete in Junior now? Drafted in 2013, this would definitely be his last year of Junior if so.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I've been hearing some rumblings that Jimmy Lodge is getting a few games to experience the AHL then is getting sent back to the OHL Mississauga Steelheads... any validity to these comments ??

Highly unlikely i would think,

even if he isn't ready they'd be far more likely to send him to the ECHL then have him go play an overage season with the Steelheads.

where are you hearing this? I wouldn't trust the source at this point...

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
Just got an email that tickets should arrive this week.

Your 2015-2016 Manitoba Moose Mini Pack is scheduled to arrive via Canada Post at the primary address on your account this week. Once received, please review your tickets to ensure they reflect your purchase. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact your Manitoba Moose Ticket Sales Representative using the contact information listed below.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
D pairs

PP units

Halischuk Cormier DeLeo
Harstad Morrissey

Lipon Olsen Kosmachuk
Armia Kitchton

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Raffl DeLeo Armia could be a dominant scoring line in the A.

I agree and am hopeful that it pans out that way.

Lodge looked so out of place in TC. Reminded me a lot of James Wright in all wheels but stone hands and pretty well handled the puck like a hand grenade. He needs to find his game at some sort of pro level be it the AHL or ECHL

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Wasn't there a single AHL vet D who can put up double-digit points to sign? Chevy? Heisinger? Anyone?

This is going to be Penticton all over again. A bunch of bad D bumbling and fumbling, and the good forwards getting dragged down :shakehead

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Wasn't there a single AHL vet D who can put up double-digit points to sign? Chevy? Heisinger? Anyone?

This is going to be Penticton all over again. A bunch of bad D bumbling and fumbling, and the good forwards getting dragged down :shakehead

McWilliams is an AHL vet and Kichton was an AHL all star a couple of seasons ago. I think the defense is getting undersold around here a bit.

Quite frankly I'm much more concerned with our forwards. We are trotting out a bunch of defensive minded low on talent centres and a bunch of kids on the wings to provide scoring.

Last edited:

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
McWilliams is an AHL vet and Kichton was an AHL all star a couple of seasons ago. I think the defense is getting undersold around here a bit.

Quite frankly I'm much more concerned with our forwards. We are trotting out a bunch of defensive minded low on talent centres and a bunch of kids on the wings to provide scoring.

MacWilliam is a "vet" with 4 assists in 58 games last season. That's enough of a scouting report for me to conclude that he's either constantly hemmed into the DZone, or has stone hands and can't pass.

On the wings, we currently have Raffl, Halischuk, Fraser, Armia. Not a problem. I agree that one more offensively minded center would have been nice, but defense is the much bigger problem.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
MacWilliam is a "vet" with 4 assists in 58 games last season. That's enough of a scouting report for me to conclude that he's either constantly hemmed into the DZone, or has stone hands and can't pass.

On the wings, we currently have Raffl, Halischuk, Fraser, Armia. Not a problem. I agree that one more offensively minded center would have been nice, but defense is the much bigger problem.

Morrissey played at a high level In the Calder cup playoffs a couple of years back and I don't anticipate it will take him long to get back to that level so I'm not too concerned with our play without the puck. I will concede that offense from the defense might be limited outside of Kichton and Morrissey.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Morrissey played at a high level In the Calder cup playoffs a couple of years back and I don't anticipate it will take him long to get back to that level so I'm not too concerned with our play without the puck. I will concede that offense from the defense might be limited outside of Kichton and Morrissey.

I am a little concerned that Morrissey looks a bit worse at the beginning of every season.

Year 1: Wow! Nice pick, Chevy!
Year 2: Slow start but looking better as camp went on - he'll be ready next year!
Year 3: Meh.
Year 4: WTF happened?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I am a little concerned that Morrissey looks a bit worse at the beginning of every season.

Year 2: Slow start but looking better as camp went on - he'll be ready next year!

He's only had 3 camps. Plus he wasn't that bad this year anyways. For some reason people like how our young forwards did like Deleo who performed worse on the shot metrics with more limited ice time. I guess it's easier to pick out faults with a dmen.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
He's only had 3 camps. Plus he wasn't that bad this year anyways. For some reason people like how our young forwards did like Deleo who performed worse on the shot metrics with more limited ice time. I guess it's easier to pick out faults with a dmen.

Yeah, I'm only a little concerned... :)

Expectations were higher for him this camp I think. I just wanted to see more signs of progression from him - after that first year with relatively low expectations and his impressive camp, followed up with the great AHL playoff run with the Ice Caps...2 years later seems like he should be farther along, I guess.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015

Yep. Exactly why he should be put in a situation to succeed - have a competent veteran D as his partner, who plays on both ends of the ice, brings experience, and doesn't play on his offside. Now he's paired with Aaron ****ing Harstad, who got undressed by 18-20 year olds in exhibition games, and also shoots left. It's only a practice session, but still.

There's also expectations, don't forget that. So the 2013 first round pick had better shot metrics than the 2014 fourth round pick. Who woulda thunk. What I could see was that Morrissey is absolutely not ready to play in the NHL. Neither is De Leo, but nobody expected that in the first place.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah, I'm only a little concerned... :)

Expectations were higher for him this camp I think. I just wanted to see more signs of progression from him - after that first year with relatively low expectations and his impressive camp, followed up with the great AHL playoff run with the Ice Caps...2 years later seems like he should be farther along, I guess.

I think it's because he approaches things/learns differently than how most people would like and this gives off the perception that he is far away. He is the type that wants to know the nuances of the system before he starts to aggressively apply himself within that system. So when learning a new system, he appears timid, but he's really meticulously analyzing what is happening within the system and developing a model of how things will work. Once he's developed an idea of what his role is and how the other pieces operate around him you will see him flourish. It's different from a Trouba, who will aggressively push all the time (look urgent) and learn from his mistakes as he makes them. I get why fans would rather see the Trouba way of learning as it actively looks like he's accomplishing things or trying. It's harder to see effort in the other method. If a player is talented enough, both methods will lead to the same place.

Coach G

Oct 1, 2015
In the corners

Morrissey certainly didn't look bad in Jets TC, he just didn't jump out. I think this was partially due to the nature of his game, and partially due to him playing overly conservatively so as not to get beat. Once he gains confidence at the pro level (knowing that he's a good enough skater that he doesn't have to give opposing forwards so much gap respect), he'll look as good as he did in junior.
I never thought he had a shot at the Jets this year - he would have had to clearly outplay Chiarot to force his way on (we all know Stuart isn't going anywhere). I thought that was pretty unlikely even before I saw the impressive camp Chiarot had.
Anyway, I'm not concerned about Morrissey until he stops developing... and no one stops developing at age 20.

Last edited:

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
Tickets came today, regular ticket master stock. No letter or anything except
flyer saying 15% off Moose\Jets gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad