Manitoba born prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Anyone else noticing that Manitoba is pumping out some pretty good prospects lately? In the past Manitoba was hard pressed to develop any decent NHL'ers aside from goaltenders.

Lately Cam Barker, Eric Fehr, Travis Zajac have been very high picks. I expect Jonathon Toews will be a top 5 in his draft year and there are a couple of bantam players that will go very early in this year's WHL draft. Dale Hunt could possibly go 1st overall. It's quite a big jump from a province that hasn't produced a lot of top end hockey players.

leafaholix*

Alexander Steen and Nigel Dawes grew up playing one-another I believe. Same with Brady Murray, and I think Mike Richards played in Manitoba, though he's from Ontario.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Carl O'Steen said:
Alexander Steen and Nigel Dawes grew up playing one-another I believe. Same with Brady Murray, and I think Mike Richards played in Manitoba, though he's from Ontario.

Yes, Steen left in the late 90's I believe but spent his childhood and early teens playing in Winnipeg. Brady Murray is from Souris and I think he played for the Southwest Cougars in the AAA midget league. Nigel Dawes played with the Winnipeg Warriors and Mike Richards played for the Kenora Stars, an Ontario based team that plays in the Manitoba AAA league. Chris Pronger played for that same team.

Dawes was the best AAA midget player. I think he was 15 years old and he was pretty strong for a little guy. Him and his linemate ran away with the scoring title in 2000-01 I believe.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
FedorScores said:
Dan Akerstream, playing AAA Midget, possibly Brown University or Tri-City next year, 6-2, 190.

Watch out.

James Reimer from the Interlake Lightning should be a monster with Red Deer next year. He was their best goalie in camp this season but Sutter wanted him to play one more year in midget. He won the league's top goalie award and had outstanding numbers.

Any idea where Kevin Armstrong will be playing next year? He and Reimer were neck and neck all year. Both should be quality goalie prospects.

Reactions: evolutionbaby

jlowry_19

Oct 17, 2004
FedorScores said:
Dan Akerstream, playing AAA Midget, possibly Brown University or Tri-City next year, 6-2, 190.

Watch out.

akerstream does not impress me that much he has a temper and whenever i see him play, he doesnt look like he does much and he just scrambles.

mymkovski

Aug 16, 2004
Le Golie said:
Yes, Steen left in the late 90's I believe but spent his childhood and early teens playing in Winnipeg. Brady Murray is from Souris and I think he played for the Southwest Cougars in the AAA midget league. Nigel Dawes played with the Winnipeg Warriors and Mike Richards played for the Kenora Stars, an Ontario based team that plays in the Manitoba AAA league. Chris Pronger played for that same team.

Dawes was the best AAA midget player. I think he was 15 years old and he was pretty strong for a little guy. Him and his linemate ran away with the scoring title in 2000-01 I believe.

I actually played against all of those boys, Steen, Richards, Dawes, Murray, and others. Randy Carlyle's boy was good too, I don't know where he is right now.

Steen took off to Sweden when he was around 12. Murray left Winnipeg with his Dad around the same time. I don't think either ever played AAA here in the city. Dawes always played an age class up right from a young age. He was always a dominant player. The Warriors were especially scary when Dawes, Courchene(Vancouver Giants), and Meech(Grand Rapids) were together. Meech was the first to take off to the WHL.

Winnipeg also had Cam Ward until he was 13 and left to Sherwood Park. He was a dynamite of a goaltender for our team. I played summer AAA with Ward, Monych, Metcalfe, and a few others.

Also don't forget about Ian White from this age group. Not sure how he's doing with the Baby Leafs.

The only others I can think of right now are Mosienko and Tristen Grant...

Does anyone know where Jacob Mcflicker is playing, if anywhere? Last I heard he was in Minnesota.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
mymkovski said:
Does anyone know where Jacob Mcflicker is playing, if anywhere? Last I heard he was in Minnesota.

After playing at Shattuck-St. Mary's (Minnesota), he played two years in the USHL and is now finishing up his second season at the University of New Hampshire.

mymkovski

Aug 16, 2004
cagney said:
After playing at Shattuck-St. Mary's (Minnesota), he played two years in the USHL and is now finishing up his second season at the University of New Hampshire.

Thank you. How's he doing? Did he ever grow? He was quite the tiny guy...

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
He's got 19 goals and 23 assists for 42 points in 40 games which ties him for third on the team. That's pretty good production for his age. As for his size, he's listed at 5'8" 185 so I guess he hasn't grown too much.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Ryan White

Ryan White from Brandon had a solid rookie year with the Hitmen. He's always been a winner and I'm looking forward to his second year in the WHL.

CurtisJD13

Feb 9, 2005
What about Myles Stoesz? '87 birthday, 1 goal, 8 assists, 245 PIMS for 2nd in the WHL. From Steinbach, MB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad