Manging game limits on rotisserie league

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Last season I joined a rotisserie league. Toward the end of the season I discovered there was a cap on starts for each position and I maxed out at C, RW, LW and UTIL well before the season ended. Spoke with the commish and was informed that caps are common in rotisserie leagues. Unfortunately for me the grid that tracks your starts is not available on the Yahoo Fantasy app and I never saw it until I accessed one day on my computer.

This year I took this into account and managed to not hit the cap for C and RW until Thursday nights games. Looking over the league rosters there's quite a few GM's that have made it to the final day without maxing anything out while a couple maxed out like myself.

Curious if there's any tips for ensuring you don't max out. Looks like one guy in the league goes very heavy on the goalies and has a limited skater roster which probably helps in the skater category. Throughout this season I would randomly leave some positions empty on game day to help ensure I didn't max out too early.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Last season I joined a rotisserie league. Toward the end of the season I discovered there was a cap on starts for each position and I maxed out at C, RW, LW and UTIL well before the season ended. Spoke with the commish and was informed that caps are common in rotisserie leagues. Unfortunately for me the grid that tracks your starts is not available on the Yahoo Fantasy app and I never saw it until I accessed one day on my computer.

This year I took this into account and managed to not hit the cap for C and RW until Thursday nights games. Looking over the league rosters there's quite a few GM's that have made it to the final day without maxing anything out while a couple maxed out like myself.

Curious if there's any tips for ensuring you don't max out. Looks like one guy in the league goes very heavy on the goalies and has a limited skater roster which probably helps in the skater category. Throughout this season I would randomly leave some positions empty on game day to help ensure I didn't max out too early.

My main tip for roti is that you can actually go over the cap on your final night of games. You can start players at a position if you have at least 1 game available for tht position ... so if you have 2 c slots or 4 misc slots, you can fill all of them and get credit for them all, even if you only had one game left under max in each position.

Other than that ... it’s just keeping an eye on your pace. Your cap will generally be the sum of active roster slots (82 games per slot), so if everyone is healthy you would never activate your bench players at all - if your default lineup starters play 82, they’ll exactly hit your cap.

Keep in mind every time you dress a bench player that’s theoretically one less game your usual starter at that position will be able to play.

Reactions: Bondurant

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
My main tip for roti is that you can actually go over the cap on your final night of games. You can start players at a position if you have at least 1 game available for tht position ... so if you have 2 c slots or 4 misc slots, you can fill all of them and get credit for them all, even if you only had one game left under max in each position.

Other than that ... it’s just keeping an eye on your pace. Your cap will generally be the sum of active roster slots (82 games per slot), so if everyone is healthy you would never activate your bench players at all - if your default lineup starters play 82, they’ll exactly hit your cap.

Keep in mind every time you dress a bench player that’s theoretically one less game your usual starter at that position will be able to play.

Yup, I always exploited this for Yahoo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad