Manfred expected to be re-voted as MLB commish next week UPD extended to 1/2029

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Baseball is truly a great sport to have survived the people that have been in charge of mismanaging it the past few decades.

Selig had some pretty big screw-ups, but he did a decent job in a lot of aspects, most notably MLBAM, and "solving" the realignment fiasco after the abrupt addition of Tampa and Arizona.

(Granted, it was a huge mistake to go to 30 without a plan for 32, and he should have just given St. Pete the 1993 expansion spot to avoid having to buy them off with the Rays immediately thereafter).

KevFu

May 22, 2009
He won't. He's trying to make MLB the NBA, but with guys standing around doing boring things instead of dunking and draining threes.

Shot clock (Check!)
Balanced Schedule (Check)
Expanded Playoffs (Check!)
East/West Conferences (probably coming with expansion!)

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
MLB isn't the NBA though. Things that work for the NBA won't necessarily work for MLB. And vice versa.

In terms of schedule, limiting the amount of travel across the CT/MT line is for the best and is a key feature of my proposed alignment.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Selig had some pretty big screw-ups, but he did a decent job in a lot of aspects, most notably MLBAM, and "solving" the realignment fiasco after the abrupt addition of Tampa and Arizona.

(Granted, it was a huge mistake to go to 30 without a plan for 32, and he should have just given St. Pete the 1993 expansion spot to avoid having to buy them off with the Rays immediately thereafter).
Bud Selig screw-ups:

He went 10 years while doing nothing about the drug (steroid) problem in MLB. (I would have voted against him for Cooperstown because of it. He was the opposite of Judge Landis.)

When they had the ASG in Milwaukee and ran out of players and it ended in a tie, I was embarrassed.
Bud Selig later said that he was embarrassed. Baseball was embarrassed.

Home field advantage in the World Series based on the winner of the ASG. (That was nonsense.)

I leave it to the readers to decide other negatives for themselves.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Selig had screw-ups, but there's a difference between PR screw-ups and financial screw-ups.

Steroids is a PR problem. People bought tickets to watch HRs. Owners aren't pissed that they sell out when McGwire/Sosa/Bonds come to town.

ASG tie and WS home field advantage is a PR problem. No NL fans were like "I know we made the World Series, but I'm not buying WS tickets because we don't have HFA because of Selig."

Even the screw up of Tampa Bay and the realignment and Interleague necessary because of it ... interleague was a HUGE success. But moving Houston to the AL and turning interleague into a year-round thing, and the new schedule is just financially dumb.

When interleague started and was done in three summer "windows," it was an event. Now there's just no difference between playing Milwaukee or Minnesota. Team that visits once a year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad