Managerial Thread - 23/24 Season - Lolverpool

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
HE DID! IT WASN'T WORKING! LITERALLY EVERY UNITED FAN HERE WAS COMPLAINING ABOUT IT!
yes i f***ing know i am saying that ole was whiny.

Rashford used to be known for tracking back a lot, I think possibly under Mourinho but for some reason can't be arsed to do it now. Of course there's been reports that he's been playing injured for a long time.
if he did it under one coach but not another i know what the variable might me

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I know you'll jump in front of a bus for ETH and I know Man U fans would rather pretend that Sancho was a serial rapist instead of the guy they have replacing him, but it's so utterly apparent that Sancho was not in a good place at Man United. The same people who were applauding Dele Alli for speaking candidly about his mental health were pillorying Sancho. I'm so happy he's returning to form elsewhere, because when he's on he's brilliant. He did not do himself favours at United, but he was screwed by an absolute fools' gallery of management.
He was given more than many other players have at United. He was given time off to train in Holland by himself and get his head straight (mental health). Then when he re-joined the team, nothing seemed to have changed in his performances.

you might want to take a look at who the three managers have been and question their spinal integrity.
That's a bit hard on Rangnick and Carrick.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
He was given more than many other players have at United. He was given time off to train in Holland by himself and get his head straight (mental health). Then when he re-joined the team, nothing seemed to have changed in his performances.

That's a bit hard on Rangnick and Carrick.
united exiles some players for blinking at Ten Hag wrong and united immediately re-integrates players who call him a moron on twitter. to pretend that man u "gives players time" is hilarious, there is no rhyme or reason to how united do things.

i am not saying that sancho was not given an opportunity at Man U. but he entered a disaster zone and the management was f***ing dire.

and ah yes, players famously have huge respect for managers who are brought in with an explicit expiration date!

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Per whoscored Sancho has played in his career

75 games on RW, 7.49 average rating
72 games on LW, 7.19 average rating

He's actually got a better performance in his 20 games played as a number 10, 7.23

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I don't want to wade into it too far. But it also could be a bit of Sancho wanting to show United they screwed it up. He might be putting in more effort in training, practice, whatever, so it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect some uptick in performance. It doesn't always go that way, but he's been successful before at Dortmund.

I don't want to get into ETH too far beyond, I'm fine if he stays for as as he likes. He's a symptom of general problems at the club, but he's also likely screwed it up too far to where I don't know if he could bring it back from where it is. Neither Klopp or Pep would have likely bought Sancho. But either one of them could have gotten more out of him. How much the alienation is attempting to play his guys, establish routines in the squad, or whatever... I don't really know. I think there's ample blame to go around, along with a squad that has pretty much run off or quit on other managers.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't want to wade into it too far. But it also could be a bit of Sancho wanting to show United they screwed it up. He might be putting in more effort in training, practice, whatever, so it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect some uptick in performance. It doesn't always go that way, but he's been successful before at Dortmund.

I don't want to get into ETH too far beyond, I'm fine if he stays for as as he likes. He's a symptom of general problems at the club, but he's also likely screwed it up too far to where I don't know if he could bring it back from where it is. Neither Klopp or Pep would have likely bought Sancho. But either one of them could have gotten more out of him. How much the alienation is attempting to play his guys, establish routines in the squad, or whatever... I don't really know. I think there's ample blame to go around, along with a squad that has pretty much run off or quit on other managers.

Probably, as the kid did seem to have some maturing still to do when he left BVB the first time...but he also just seems to be enjoying life a lot more than he was in Manchester; not just on the pitch but he's actually been spotted smiling off of it.

Not many athletes can be unstoppable winning-machines like Jalen, son-of-Rick...for most of them their headspace has a huge influence on their performance.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Probably, as the kid did seem to have some maturing still to do when he left BVB the first time...but he also just seems to be enjoying life a lot more than he was in Manchester; not just on the pitch but he's actually been spotted smiling off of it.

Not many athletes can be unstoppable winning-machines like Jalen, son-of-Rick...for most of them their headspace has a huge influence on their performance.
I also think there's a different life situation in both scenarios. In Dortmund, while he did certainly have some of his people around him, he's in a foreign country. He doesn't have the same obligations off the pitch he likely would in England. Sure, Dortmund are a massive club, but I'm pretty sure players can be left alone a bit more than they ever would at United.

It's really hard to put the blame on any one party, but certainly ETH is not without a good share of it. He clearly can play. Though how he fits in what a manager wants to do is also something that might not mesh. He certainly wasn't a player ETH would have picked if it came down to it. You can argue that good managers would figure out how to integrate an obviously talented player... but I think you get at some of the crux of the situation here. Player nor manager really want to yield in this instance.

Reactions: cgf

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Flick’s been at numerous Chelsea games since the turn of the calendar

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
1714750970292.png

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Can't Ineos just buy Ten Hag a wig? Surely that's cheaper than the sort of spending spree he's proven capable of in the past.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Somewhat getting lost in all of this is that Antony sucks and still got picked over Sancho by ETH. Doesn't matter what side of the field. That's just bad managing.

Not many United attackers seem to be great at tracking back. Rashford definitely isn't. Maybe that's more of a coaching issue too. But you don't want to hear that about your bald buddy.
In all fairness Sancho also sucked at United.

Reactions: Jussi and luiginb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad