Managerial Thread - 23/24 Season - Lolverpool

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
off field and having space to pick players that fit what they want with time to getting to the right results is probably more important than who the guy is.

Nah, both are important. Even with Eberl running the show, they can't just go back to Kovac.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Nah, both are important. Even with Eberl running the show, they can't just go back to Kovac.
If they don't give whomever they pick the space to do what they need, it won't really matter. Sure, they can't just get someone off the street, but I think a lot more of the problems with where they stand now are off the field

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

Klopp better be preparing his Wolf of Wall Street speech

Maybe that’s why Mourinho was at Craven Cottage yesterday (I kid) (I think)

Part of it probably that LFC hasn’t put out/aren’t putting out offers until the season is over so some other teams can afford to be more aggressive right now? But Edwards always kept things tight to the chest too so who knows what their short list looked like besides Alonso? Either way, as I said months ago, I can’t get too dragged into this until we are putting out offers

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If they don't give whomever they pick the space to do what they need, it won't really matter. Sure, they can't just get someone off the street, but I think a lot more of the problems with where they stand now are off the field

That's what they hired Eberl for. He's been the best sporting director in Germany over the past decade+ and one of the best in Europe. Kahn & Brazzo aren't burning the ship down from the captain's cabin anymore.

So now their biggest problems...that don't need the transfer window to be open for them to solve...are on the bench and in the locker-room.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
The Athletic now reporting that Arne Slot is the frontrunner for the Liverpool job. He's done an amazing job at Feyenoord, but that's definitely a big jump.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
The Athletic now reporting that Arne Slot is the frontrunner for the Liverpool job. He's done an amazing job at Feyenoord, but that's definitely a big jump.
Not a big jump, a suicidal choice from FSG. Basically, this all but confirm that Edwards/FSG only wanted a yes man which will require minor investment in new players.

I think Amorim was first choice until he started asking many players out and many new players in. FSG wanted none of that. I still expect Salah to be sold this summer.

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Paul Joyce has it too

Not a big jump, a suicidal choice from FSG. Basically, this all but confirm that Edwards/FSG only wanted a yes man which will require minor investment in new players.

I think Amorim was first choice until he started asking many players out and many new players in. FSG wanted none of that. I still expect Salah to be sold this summer.
You need to provide sources for this. There is literally nothing suggesting any of this

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
His post says “i think” which means he’s speculating and the king of made up strawman arguments is calling for sources

• Haha
Reactions: maclean

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
His post says “i think” which means he’s speculating and the king of made up strawman arguments is calling for sources
Did you not read the first paragraph?

It’s is a leap to say Edwards only wants a yes-man, and it’s a leap to suggest Slot is a yes-man. And it’s a leap to say this is “suicidal”

Last edited:

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
You need to provide sources for this. There is literally nothing suggesting any of this
Don't need source, just basic logic, Slot is using almost a copy of Klopp formation and roles and Amorim is running a 3-4-3. LFC do not have the current personnel and I have no doubt Amorim would not have accepted the position without guaranteed to have some new players joining in.

Also Joyce/Ornstein basically ran story about Amorim being the top candidate about a two weeks ago when Alonso confirmed that he was staying at Leverkusen.

Did you not read the first paragraph?

It’s is a leap to say Edwards only wants a yes-man, and it’s a leap to suggest Slot is a yes-man. And it’s a leap to say this is “suicidal”
Then please explain to us why you believe Slot is revolutionary and the perfect candidate to replace Klopp based on his record and tactics in the eredivisie. He must be some kind of prodigy to be more highly considered than all other top managers with barely more than 200 games in charges in his career and being able to get the role at LFC and replace one of the greatest manager in world football and with quite possibly a significant salary boost.

Either not many candidates or FSG are very specific and controlling on the task required by the new manager.

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Don't need source, just basic logic, Slot is using almost a copy of Klopp formation and roles and Amorim is running a 3-4-3. LFC do not have the current personnel and I have no doubt Amorim would not have accepted the position without guaranteed to have some new players joining in.
Of course Slot runs 433 he is Dutch :) But he runs some double pivot too. Also Klopp doesn’t exactly have a trademark on that formation.

With the 343 thing, that’s very chicken or egg. It’s just as likely the front office said our current personnel doesn’t fit this formation so maybe we shouldn’t hire a guy who is married to it - which is fair. Virgil says he doesn’t like playing in a back 3. Trent doesn’t have a spot in that formation either. Those are two of their best players, their captain and vice captain, and they need new contracts. Maybe they do not want to alienate them? There are plenty of other players that are not great 343 fits too. Again I don’t think that’s really illogical. There’s a difference between adding a couple of guys and blowing it up. This team is going to finish no worse than 3rd so again, it’s reasonable to not want to blow it up.
Then please explain to us why you believe Slot is revolutionary and the perfect candidate to replace Klopp based on his record and tactics in the eredivisie. He must be some kind of prodigy to be more highly considered than all other top managers with barely more than 200 games in charges in his career and being able to get the role at LFC and replace one of the greatest manager in world football and with quite possibly a significant salary boost.

Either not many candidates or FSG are very specific and controlling on the task required by the new manager.
I don’t think Slot is revolutionary. I think he is probably smart because he turned down Tottenham. But besides Xabi Alonso who didn’t want to leave; you tell me who this perfect candidate is. It’s certainly not Amorim either. The fact is there is not a candidate as good for LFC in 2024 as Klopp was when he was hired; including Alonso. You kind of just have to trust the front office; who EVERYONE wanted back knows what they are doing. This isn’t a like hiring Roy Hodgson; that was “suicidal”. There is clearly some upside there. Have to give the guy a chance if it’s him

Last edited:

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Slot told Spurs to kick rocks. Or at least said he wasn't interested. He has some idea of what he wants. I don't know what they want.

But I don't think they're getting a yes man with him or whomever they want. Klopp, for what it's worth is a company man. He's gone back against some of the things he has said prior to working for FSG (no cameras, preseason tours, couple other things), and he's regularly been supportive of FSG even when there might have been options to criticize. I don't think being a company man is a bad thing. I also don't believe for a second that whomever they get is coming in with the idea that they won't spend. It's the EPL. They have to be willing to spend. FSG want to run the club based on balancing the books, so that's part of it. It's also critical to them that they develop young players. That's critical for ALL big clubs with how the financial regulations run. They can't just donk off millions on mediocre players.

Slot doesn't really excite me, but I trust the people picking the manager to do a good job of it. Bournemouth look ridiculously better with Iraola. If Edwards and Hughes can do whatever they want, I might trust them.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
to be fair, listening to what some of this article says about the backroom staff at Feyenoord, along with what they look for in players, I can see 100% the synergy of what Liverpool will want.

Here's the section I read that seems 100% Liverpool / Klopp. Liverpool seem to want players who aren't focused on going out, who live the game. If that's what Slot wants, I can see that working.
When assessing targets, Feyenoord use an internal grading system, where prospective players will be marked on their fits depending on their tactical suitability, technical quality, physicality, their lifestyle and their mental strength. The club will use a variety of video analysis, live observations and data crunching to identify the talent, before then going to further lengths to not only rule players in or out but also to draw up a plan of what their careers at Feyenoord may look like. Then there is the personality research. Scouts will speak to agents, previous coaches, team-mates, schoolteachers or even local taxi drivers to build a picture of a player. They will monitor social media profiles for indications of a player’s personality.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Don't know anything about Slot, but I don't think the "X isn't a top/seasoned candidate and has only coached Y number of games in his career" argument holds much weight. Pep and Zidane didn't have any first team managerial experience before taking over Barca and Madrid. And you have recent success cases with Xabi Alonso and Arteta as first-time managers.

Sure, maybe an inexperienced guy doesn't hit the ground running in year 1, but there's not a world class manager ready to be plucked by Liverpool right now.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
Don't know anything about him but I have faith in the analytical football guys who operate the club. So if he's the guy, he's the guy.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Don't know anything about Slot, but I don't think the "X isn't a top/seasoned candidate and has only coached Y number of games in his career" argument holds much weight. Pep and Zidane didn't have any first team managerial experience before taking over Barca and Madrid. And you have recent success cases with Xabi Alonso and Arteta as first-time managers.

Sure, maybe an inexperienced guy doesn't hit the ground running in year 1, but there's not a world class manager ready to be plucked by Liverpool right now.
This is spot on.

I think everyone’s heads blew up when Klopp announced, and then the neck stubs blew up when Alonso said he was staying. People want to complain because it’s the easy thing to do, but no one has an answer for “Who would be the right hire?” It’s not like rivals are getting these guys either. Cannot do anything about Alonso wanting to stay. And again, LFC aren’t exactly getting turned down either; they haven’t offered the job yet so everyone is just speculating.

Said months ago that I was not going to get dragged into this. The people acting the worst (not even on here, I promise the LFC fans online are worse than most of the non-LFC fans on here) are just the ones are only acting that way because they assumed Alonso/Amorim/etc were in the bag. But that was never coming from anywhere credible either.

Everyone talks about how Angie is the best thing since sliced bread, well Tottenham would have rather had Slot; so the people that are just automatically assuming Slot is a bust need to relax.

Don't know anything about him but I have faith in the analytical football guys who operate the club. So if he's the guy, he's the guy.
Don’t have a choice to do otherwise. The perfect candidate does not exist unless Klopp changes his mind. There isn’t another Klopp. It might be the guy after the next guy that is in the seat longer. There just needs to be trust that the people that have proven time and time again that they know what they are doing, continue to know what they are doing

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
LFC negotiating with Feyenoord for Slot today.

The clubs are still working on a compensation package but LFC will offer the job to Slot if they can work it out with the club

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
It's a big step.

From what I read, it looks interesting and I'm not disappointed with the move. It's a gamble. I think he fits what Edwards and Hughes want to do with the analytics elements. Slot is on record as being really into the physio, off pitch, metrics, every advantage science element to training and I think that's right in line with what they want. He's also willing to work with a transfer committee, committed to youth and likes the integrated setups that Liverpool have taken steps toward with Klopp in having youth, scouting and first team all in one house.

I don't know if it will work out, but he is getting a pretty deep roster to play with, along with likely a solid budget to work with.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
There is a difference between complaining and wishing the club to succeed after a period of long success. I do believe he is a good manager. And I truly hope Slot is amazing and want him to do even better than Klopp but at first glance it seems one step too high for him. The eredivisies is not a good league at all and even then although he has done remarkly well with a modest budget which is noted and very valued by FSG, he also has not even be that dominant in that league which was still mostly dominated by PSV/Ajax. I mean yes he has mostly overachieved based on expectation but not to level of a guy like Amorim who has turned his team into the most dominant side in their league and has one of the best winning % in Europe and also by developing young player. Same applies to Xabi Alonso which was also untainnable but he was still a former LFC legend, they could have agreed maybe a pre-contract with him for next year and have Pep Ljinders become interim manager for a year.

The good news is that he is Dutch and hopefully that could help convince Van Dijk to stay at LFC for many more years as LFC are very relient on him defensively.

Final thought, I am not impressed by the resume of the guy even though he is now praised by all the local media but yes maybe they have found the next Alonso or Pep that had little experience and were not phased by competing at the highest level from the get go, I don't know.

The team is in very good spot now in term of squad building (age and depth) but I can only see other EPL team like Aston-Villa, Brighton, Tottenham, Chelsea, Man United also licking their lips now and being hopeful to take over LFC in the ranking next year. Which would make it even harder to get a good manager next year without Europe if Slot is a dissapointment

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It's a big step.

From what I read, it looks interesting and I'm not disappointed with the move. It's a gamble. I think he fits what Edwards and Hughes want to do with the analytics elements. Slot is on record as being really into the physio, off pitch, metrics, every advantage science element to training and I think that's right in line with what they want. He's also willing to work with a transfer committee, committed to youth and likes the integrated setups that Liverpool have taken steps toward with Klopp in having youth, scouting and first team all in one house.

I don't know if it will work out, but he is getting a pretty deep roster to play with, along with likely a solid budget to work with.
It’s a gamble, but who isn’t a gamble?

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Prepping myself for the RDZ rumours to get loud with the United and Chelsea situations getting more and more dire by the week. He is under contract until 2026 and has a 10 million pound release clause.

Good for Villa to get Unai resigned.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad