Managerial Thread - 23/24 Season - Lolverpool

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I’d also be interested if LFC go back into midfield in the case of 343. Alexis is obviously locked in, but next to him? Sporting pretty much went from Palhinha to Ugarte to Hjulmand and LFC do not have a profile like that in the squad. Bajcetic is probably closest if they can get him right. Jones is a different profile. Endo, maybe? Thats somewhere I could see them looking externally, but after last year’s CDM market who knows; and they should have other priorities too/not sure how they would feel about another big outlay on a midfielder

Meanwhile Sporting lining up Amorim’s successor

Tbh, let whomever comes in buy who they want that works with Edwards and Hughes. Way too early

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Tbh, let whomever comes in buy who they want that works with Edwards and Hughes. Way too early
You make it sound so easy!

But yeah, I stayed out of the Alonso stuff, so I’m going to wait until the next guy is hired before going too in depth on anything. Starting to feel like it’s Amorim or bust at this point; especially with the Ornstein news last week that De Zerbi isn’t even on the list. I still think they may be waiting on a different PL manager, and I hope they aren’t, but we will see

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
1. Klopp never played 433 before he came, so I don’t know if it’s a guarantee that they switch.

The transition from the 4-2-3-1 that Klopp used in Dortmund and the 4-3-3 he uses now is pretty minor. The main difference is that he is "10s" & 6s have been less specialized than Götze/Kagawa & Bender were.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The transition from the 4-2-3-1 that Klopp used in Dortmund and the 4-3-3 he uses now is pretty minor. The main difference is that he is "10s" & 6s have been less specialized than Götze/Kagawa & Bender were.
Sure, but we would have seen a lot more articles framing Klopp as “married to 4231” like are being written about Amorim and 343 compared to the contrary

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
There's no telling what the plan is. It's way too early. We'll know closer to the end of the season.

If Amorim is wedded to the 3-4-3 and he's who Liverpool get, they're going to find players who work, or it's a complete waste of time to bring him in.

I think there's a bit too much emphasis placed on what system or what a new manager might want. So many of Liverpool's players are in the team based on some elements of versatility. A new manager is going to have a lot of parts to work with in trying to fit into the system. Klopp might run a 4-3-3, but the wide forwards have played in more of a 2 at times, the entire midfield has done a lot of different roles, fullbacks both can play the ball and every center back at the club has some ability on the ball / picking a pass.

Sure... a new manager will find guys who don't fit what they completely want, just like some players might not mesh with what the new manager will what to do. Salah might say, yeah, I'm good, I don't want to go through a new system. A new manager might not want to work in Virgil into what they do. Trent might want a new situation. Who knows.

I do think that the people in charge of who gets the new job are also not stupid. They see the club as presently built to win some silverware and compete for a title. It's young, it has a lot of upside and giving the keys to someone who is going to come in and not have a plan for what's here is unlikely. I expect much of the discussion going on is trying to see who could meld what's there, with some changes obviously, for the best chances to continue winning.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Sure, but we would have seen a lot more articles framing Klopp as “married to 4231” like are being written about Amorim and 343 compared to the contrary

Come on buddy. The change from a back 4 to a back 3 is a lot bigger than asking your midfield trio to share the responsibilities a little more. Just completely different scale of change. One is a massive change to your entire defensive & build up structure. The other is a minor tweak to the same general formation.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Come on buddy. The change from a back 4 to a back 3 is a lot bigger than asking your midfield trio to share the responsibilities a little more. Just completely different scale of change. One is a massive change to your entire defensive & build up structure. The other is a minor tweak to the same general formation.
Oh I agree, but I am also not going to worry about it until an appointment is made

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Oh I agree, but I am also not going to worry about it until an appointment is made

That's fair, just saying it's disingenuous to say that switching to a back 3 is no big deal because Klopp tweaked his midfield trio's distribution of duties without much trouble.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
That's fair, just saying it's disingenuous to say that switching to a back 3 is no big deal because Klopp tweaked his midfield trio's distribution of duties without much trouble.
Oh that wasn’t the point I was trying to make at all. Just saying (and tactics are by far the least important aspect of Klopp’s successor to me) next guy might take a look at the personnel and think maybe I shouldn’t overhaul this

Reactions: cgf

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Liverpool not interested in de Zerbi. Thankfully. I think Amorim might be deal done.
At the start of this I wasn’t too keen on De Zerbi, and now I keep flip flopping on him. Might be some recency bias but I think he might have been the best back up option to Alonso in the right kind of situation. Seems that he is Bayern’s top choice, and since he isn’t our Plan A, we’ve kind of just dropped interest all together; which only makes sense if Amorim is the guy and Amorim is in the bag. I wouldn’t be unhappy with Amorim; but I think De Zerbi may have been the right choice. They just can’t be going too much farther down the list. I do think Ed/Hughes might have an eye on someone else though but hope it’s Amorim at this point based on the information that we have

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
there's no way FSG is going to appoint him. He's a bit too outspoken for what they're gonna want.

FSG don't need a choir boy, but bringing someone in who might clash with ownership / Edwards is not going to fly.

I think the Amorim might be done as well.. but we shall see.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Tbh, this year hasn't been as good, though some of that could be down to losing players.

The Liverpool scuttlebutt is him speaking out about wanting players this summer after the transfers. His statements in the media seem to be a bit challenging to management according to the discussions of why not.

How much of that is just junk, who knows, but FSG will want a guy who isn't going to go out and throw them under the bus

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
there's no way FSG is going to appoint him. He's a bit too outspoken for what they're gonna want.

FSG don't need a choir boy, but bringing someone in who might clash with ownership / Edwards is not going to fly.

I think the Amorim might be done as well.. but we shall see.
For sure. That’s obviously why they aren’t in on him; but it’s kind of a shame.

I think he has the right temperament for Liverpool. He has PL experience. The fancy stats are great. Our talent is a better match/has experience with Alexis. Also maybe he tries to bring in Lallana as an assistant (Lallana is already on that track), and that gives you some continutiry; heck maybe Milner comes along after he gets the PL appearance record. Kind of gives you the best of both worlds.

That being said I don’t know if he has a plan for low blocks and as you said he might Be too outspoken; but I think he would be an appropriate hire. But at this stage he’s another ‘spilled milk’ guy. We never sent Alonso offer. We aren’t sending RDZ an offer. The usual click bait merchants are trying to frame it that LFC can’t bring guys in; but I will worry about it if they start having offers rejected. All signs point to Amorim but I wouldn’t etch that into stone yet either

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Honestly ready to go Mourinho

Club was going downhill with previous ownership anyways but this is horrendous

No identity within the club anymore

No obvious managers to compete at the highest level and the team is years away anyways

Like who even cares if Mourinho lasts 18 months. He can help churn out some better results and transition the club forward

• Wow
Reactions: luiginb

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

No obvious managers to compete at the highest level and the team is years away anyways

Like who even cares if Mourinho lasts 18 months. He can help churn out some better results and transition the club forward
Does he get results these days? Roma improved after he left

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

Poch saying that it can take Chelsea 3-5 years to right itself is absolutely insane. We're talking about a doped up club who just spent a billion dollars.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Poch saying that it can take Chelsea 3-5 years to right itself is absolutely insane

He's right. They can't touch the top 3 and frankly 4 and 5 are also clearly better and have potential to be better next year.

Chelsea sucks. They need to perfectly spend hundreds of millions to become great again while selling overpriced and crappy players. Good luck with that.

Reactions: Peen

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
I think Chelsea just need to let the kids play together and get some experience. No more wholesale buying and no panic moves like Mourinho.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Poch saying that it can take Chelsea 3-5 years to right itself is absolutely insane. We're talking about a doped up club who just spent a billion dollars.
Could spend twice that but if you don't have any cohesive vision or plan for the roster outside of "young talented players" it doesn't guarantee anything. I know have no idea what type of team they are trying to build, much less one that fits Poch's preferred style of play. It may well take that many years to untangle the mess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad