Blue Jays Discussion: Alright, we have a manager now. So it's back to patiently waiting for Vlad Jr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
What? No former Cleveland people on the list?! My stars!

Don't worry. There's plenty of time to find a reason to hate the hire.

Actually, it's already there... "not Stubby Clapp" will be enough reason for Bob Elliot and the like to complain about a missed opportunity to throw the fans a bone.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Don't worry. There's plenty of time to find a reason to hate the hire.

Actually, it's already there... "not Stubby Clapp" will be enough reason for Bob Elliot and the like to complain about a missed opportunity to throw the fans a bone.

Yeah, throw the fans a bone. We don't want a damn bone!

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Pearson got roughed up a bit again in today's start. From what I have read stuff is electric but control is off. Looked like he touched 101.

Vlad in 41 PA has struck out once. I believe it was his first PA too.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Pearson got roughed up a bit again in today's start. From what I have read stuff is electric but control is off. Looked like he touched 101.

Vlad in 41 PA has struck out once. I believe it was his first PA too.

Biggio's coming around with a couple doubles today, too. Those are his first two extra base hits in the AFL, so it would be nice to see the power come around, but he has a .375 OBP and the K-rate has been fine at just under 22%.

Also... only semi-Jays related, but... yikes, Conner Greene.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Biggio's coming around with a couple doubles today, too. Those are his first two extra base hits in the AFL, so it would be nice to see the power come around, but he has a .375 OBP and the K-rate has been fine at just under 22%.

Also... only semi-Jays related, but... yikes, Conner Greene.

Greene and Leone for Grichuk. If Grichuk produces like he did after he came back from injury then it is an absolute steal. Hell even if he produces a 2.0 WAR it's still a steal.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Greene and Leone for Grichuk. If Grichuk produces like he did after he came back from injury then it is an absolute steal. Hell even if he produces a 2.0 WAR it's still a steal.

Yep. It looked good from day one, and I was far more concerned about giving up Leone (who I thought would have at least a couple years of being a good reliever) than I was about Greene (who's been really bad for a few years now despite throwing hard). They move him to the pen and he got worse. Now he has 12 walks in 4 innings in the AFL (and still isn't striking anyone out). It's bad.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
How The Boston Red Sox Laid Championship Groundwork With 2011 Draft Class

Shout out to Ben Cherington. Also, Theo Epstein is the goat.

Also a good reminder for when people pick apart our management's deals that no one's perfect, not even the best. Epstein overpaid for Chapman, bought high on a declining asset in Quintana (giving up Eloy and Cease), and the Darvish and Chatwood deals look horrible right now. Every exec has duds. But Epstein is a major reason for multiple championships and is a likely hall of famer.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Also a good reminder for when people pick apart our management's deals that no one's perfect, not even the best. Epstein overpaid for Chapman, bought high on a declining asset in Quintana (giving up Eloy and Cease), and the Darvish and Chatwood deals look horrible right now. Every exec has duds. But Epstein is a major reason for multiple championships and is a likely hall of famer.

Likely? He is a first ballot guy in my mind. Brought two of the longest WS droughts in two of the bigger markets. 3 WS is more than enough

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Likely? He is a first ballot guy in my mind. Brought two of the longest WS droughts in two of the bigger markets. 3 WS is more than enough
Sure, nothing's ever guaranteed, so likely is a fine word choice in my mind.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Has there been any word when the Jays will make the final decision for manager.

I think originally the speculation was that they'd do it by the end of the month, but that was reporters putting that out there. I don't believe the org ever set a date themselves (publicly, at least)

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Last reports I read is that the Rangers hasn’t met with Espada yet.

New names are emerging today for Rangers as in Clapp and Chavez. Speculation from a Rangers reporter is in light of this they won’t name a manager next week.

To me that points to Espada not being interested or of interest for the Rangers.

So it’s pretty much the Jays or go back to the Astros for Espada.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
My preference would be for the Jays hiring either Espada or Clapp.

I'm actually pretty happy Baldelli went to the Twins. Wasn't sold on him. But either of the other 2 guys and I would be good with the hire.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I'm really surprised that Derek Shelton was not interviewed by teh Jays. I've heard him a bunch of times and he seems like a very smart dude. Has the Cleveland and Tampa connection, and was recently bench coach for the Twins and one of the finalists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad