Managerial merry Go round part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Part of me wants Sarri to stay at Chelsea to prove all the hot-take artists wrong , but the other part of me really wants him to be Roma's manager next season. And for that to happen , unfortunately, he has to get sacked.

Torn.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Part of me wants Sarri to stay at Chelsea to prove all the hot-take artists wrong , but the other part of me really wants him to be Roma's manager next season. And for that to happen , unfortunately, he has to get sacked.

Torn.

Added bonus of latter option - continued chaos at Chelsea :)

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Funny trivia tidbit - Slavia has been coach-killers lately. Machín after the Sevilla match last Thursday and yesterday the coach of Příbram was fired after losing to them. Could they bury Sarri as well? :sarcasm:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

Torn.

No coach is going to sign up for a club that has a transfer ban, the best offensive player is likely leaving, and it's a club that already doesn't give much slack to the managers in terms of results. Sarri will be here next season unless the players just decide to not even play for him.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Not really about the merry-go-round but this list was released by France Football:

Top 50 football managers of all-time: Agree with France Football's list? Sir Alex Ferguson and Pep Guardiola in top 10

Spoiler: they chose Rinus Michels as the best manager of all time.

Rinus "total football"Michels is a good choice. FIFA selected him as coach of the century btw. He won something with Ajax, Barca, Dutch NT and even Cologne. His biggest defeat was the WC final 1974.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Not really about the merry-go-round but this list was released by France Football:

Top 50 football managers of all-time: Agree with France Football's list? Sir Alex Ferguson and Pep Guardiola in top 10

Spoiler: they chose Rinus Michels as the best manager of all time.

I like that the list doesn't just mindlessly count trophies, but rather considers contribution to tactical developments. Michels in first place pleases me. I think Bill Shankly is a little too high, and that Herbert Chapman and Bob Paisley are ranked too low.

Reactions: YNWA14

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I like that the list doesn't just mindlessly count trophies, but rather considers contribution to tactical developments. Michels in first place pleases me. I think Bill Shankly is a little too high, and that Herbert Chapman and Bob Paisley are ranked too low.
If so, Bielsa should be over Zidane.
So they did count trophies more than tactical developments.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
If so, Bielsa should be over Zidane.
So they did count trophies more than tactical developments.

Frankly, my response to seeing Zidane's ranking was, 'too much France, not enough Football.'

Overall, however, I think the balance is far better than most similar lists I've seen.

For me, a crucial test is whether the pollsters give Ernst Happel what I consider his due. On that score, this lot succeed.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Stein won 25 trophies in 13 years at Celtic.

Shankly won 6 in 15 years at Liverpool.

Busby won 8 in 25 years at Man Utd.

Klopp, Zidane, and Wenger over Stein is insulting. Atrocious list. When Stein was appointed manager of Celtic, Celtic had just finished 8th in the league and hadnt won the league in 12 years. After appointing Stein, Celtic won the next 9 league titles, a European Cup, a runner up in the European Cup, and 2 domestic trebles (67 Celtic won all 5 of the cups they entered)

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Igor Tudor returns as Udinese manager, he was sacked at the end of last season after only 4 games (but did help them survive)

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Stein won 25 trophies in 13 years at Celtic.

Shankly won 6 in 15 years at Liverpool.

Busby won 8 in 25 years at Man Utd.

Klopp, Zidane, and Wenger over Stein is insulting. Atrocious list. When Stein was appointed manager of Celtic, Celtic had just finished 8th in the league and hadnt won the league in 12 years. After appointing Stein, Celtic won the next 9 league titles, a European Cup, a runner up in the European Cup, and 2 domestic trebles (67 Celtic won all 5 of the cups they entered)

Although he's not generally described as a tactical innovator (which likely cost him in this poll), Stein was a great manager, and it should be emphasised that his victory over Herrera's Inter in 67 was lauded as a victory for positive play over defensiveness.

However, you omit the fact that when Busby took over at Old Trafford, Manchester United hadn't won silverware since before the First World War, and they were playing 'home' games because their own stadium had been bombed out. And during the late fifties his attempts at team building were hampered for the unconventional reason that about half his first eleven suffered violent deaths. This poll purportedly measures lasting impact on the sport, too, and few managers can hope to beat Busby on that score - he built the romantic myth of Manchester United, of which, whether one likes it or not, the power has been, and continues to be, huge.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
There's always a lot of talk on Michels and Cruijff over here as to who learned from who. Michels I think laid the foundation of totaal football, Cruijff finished it and nowadays a lot of successful coaches replicate his ways, with Pep being the most obvious one.

I feel Cruijff has been the most influential person this sport has ever seen.

I'll put my orange colored glasses away now.

Reactions: YNWA14

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
There's always a lot of talk on Michels and Cruijff over here as to who learned from who. Michels I think laid the foundation of totaal football, Cruijff finished it and nowadays a lot of successful coaches replicate his ways, with Pep being the most obvious one.

I feel Cruijff has been the most influential person this sport has ever seen.

I'll put my orange colored glasses away now.

Brilliant Orange by David Winner conveyed a sense of Michels seizing on natural tendencies of certain players, and the natural reactions of other players to what they saw around them, and forging these into a style. For example, Winner cites Neeskens' natural tendency to harry opponents in possession, to which teammates responded by pushing upfield in support, which Michels approved and encouraged as a regular feature of the team's play - pressing.

To me, that's an appealing notion, inasmuch as it simultaneously illustrates the good coaches can do without elevating them to the level of omniscient begetters of the footballing universe.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Erh, Ruiz has a thing or two to say about that.
And Bielsa too.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Yeah. I hope he can keep it up when the novelty of the situation wears off (and he starts to lose games, getting criticized from pundits for decisions etc.).

I rarely watch press conferences from other teams than Spurs (occasionally from Klopp, Sarri, Guardiola etc. if I need some "radio" in the background at work), but I'll often watch OGS.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
nOb9dGh.jpg

Pictured yesterday.

First time I've seen Mourinho smile like that in a while. He's definitely off to Inter this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad