Blender

Dec 2, 2009

Awesome, hopefully this happens.

giphy.gif

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
I'll explain my thoughts on Koeman a bit, as no one here comes further than 'BRUV! hE nEaRly rElaGaTeD wItH EvErToN OMG!'
  • Koeman used to be a very conservative coach - holding on to his believes, but he's become more flexible as he realize coaches nowadays no longer have years to build the line up and tactics he envisions - he still likes to hold on to lineups and tactics too long for my likings. When players have bad streaks, he stands by them and he keeps giving them playing time - I think a wake-up call and line-up juggling is needed way faster. If all the dead weight players remain in Barcelona, don't expect Koeman to bench the likes of Roberto, Busquets, Rakitic, etc, unless he's told otherwise from above of course.
  • He likes the Dutch 4-3-3, but also tries modern versions - as long as he plays a broad-line-up with offense coming down the wings. Likes to play with two CDM's or at least two players who stand their ground to give him more insurance in transition. This is his biggest cryptonite - for instance; in Oranje he plays with de Roon, Wijnaldum and Frenkie de Jong - defensively they are all sound, but they all bring little creativity on the other side of the pitch. In Barcelona, he will almost certainly play Frenkie where he should and that alone should do wonders for Barca's ball possession game.
  • Unlike what the media might portray; Koeman is a warm personality. The way he managed the hot mess that was Oranje two years ago is very admiring - they all care and are willing to walk the extra mile for him. With a lot of big characters in the dressingroom, I think Koeman will handle those personalities well.
  • Not the coach who likes to play youngsters much, unlike they are exceptional talents or only tries them out in short stints. Ryan Babel played a crucial part in the EC-qualifiers for crying out loud (in utter disbelief, he actually played well, but still - Ryan Babel - in Oranje - as a striker - yuck). I'm not expecting Puig and Fati to suddenly start now.
  • He's one of the few who learned coaching under Cruijff and while he claims his tactics and ideas are much alike those of Cruijff - it's barely visible on the pitch. The tiki-taka, short triangles and offensive pressure - it's just not there. He plays totaal voetbal (but that's a given nowadays) and plays with a high up defensive line - other than that, he doesn't have that Barca DNA Dutch coaches like Ten Hag or Bosz do possess, only they don't have the reputation Koeman has built up as a legendary defender.
  • He plays his best players, utilizes his player strengths and adjust his line up and tactics accordingly. Sounds as if this can be found at page 1 in the coaches-for-dummies handout, but plenty of coaches are ignorant to this. Depay is a tough nut to crack, but Koeman utilizes him in his best role. Same goes for Frenkie. Promes and Bergwijn often have that free role on the wings. Always manages to insert Daley Blind into the lineup.
  • Schreuder - Bosz' partner during Ajax' rise a few years ago, will join. Not sure he's fit as a main guy (he has the smarts, but no charisma or reputation), but he was the X-factor behind Bosz. I wanted him and Ten Hag to co-coach Ajax when he left. It appears Frenkie strongly recommended him.
  • I am afraid of a Dutch enclave in Barcelona. Koeman as coach, Schreuder as his assistent, Kluivert is in control of La Masia and Jordi Cruijff is being mentioned for a role up top as well - I don't think that's ever a good idea, but I reckon Barcelona wants to bring back the Cruijff-vibe again.
  • Koeman has a strong relationship with Depay. I wouldn't be shocked if Depay leaves for Barcelona this summer. Depay has the skillset that fits the Blaugrana, but he'll almost certainly not succeed there. He can't handle the criticism, the pressure or the spotlight very well - and he's always bound to disappear during (important) stretches.
  • Coaching Barca has been his dream since he ever got his coaching degree. He'll do whatever it takes to succeed.
But, long story short; It all depends on how management deals with the roster. If Koeman starts with the same selection, I only expect minor success, if at all. He's not the guy who can juggle this roster into a well oiled machine. He doesn't have that Barca DNA. I do have a little more faith in his tenure if they bring in some smart acquisitions that fit his playing style with a box to box CM as a main priority.

I'd personally clean ship vigorously and cut ties with the likes of Rakitic, Roberto, Suarez, Griezmann. Don't care for Dembele much. Accept the fact that Pique and Busquets are no longer starting material. Jordi Alba should definitely stay. Not sure why I saw his name mentioned in a clean up.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Everton?
Please.
Koeman's track record in club competitions :
Vitesse : 71 games, 35 wins
Ajax : 151 games, 94 wins, 2 champs titles
Benfica : 45 games, 25 wins -> went from 1st to 3rd under him
Valencia : 34 games, 11 wins (14 losses!) -> went from 16th to 6th once he left
Alkmaar : 23 games, 10 wins -> got better when he left
Feyenoord : 118 games, 69 wins
Southampton : 91 games, 44 wins -> after hot start, they got worse under him
Everton : 58 games, 24 wins -> got better when he left

If you think people only judge him for his Everton days you're wrong.

How a coach with such a track record could take the reigns of one of the most powerful clubs in Europe?

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Everton?
Please.
Koeman's track record in club competitions :
Vitesse : 71 games, 35 wins
Ajax : 151 games, 94 wins, 2 champs titles
Benfica : 45 games, 25 wins -> went from 1st to 3rd under him
Valencia : 34 games, 11 wins (14 losses!) -> went from 16th to 6th once he left
Alkmaar : 23 games, 10 wins -> got better when he left
Feyenoord : 118 games, 69 wins
Southampton : 91 games, 44 wins -> after hot start, they got worse under him
Everton : 58 games, 24 wins -> got better when he left

If you think people only judge him for his Everton days you're wrong.

How a coach with such a track record could take the reigns of one of the most powerful clubs in Europe?

Because we're becoming a f***ing joke

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I'll explain my thoughts on Koeman a bit, as no one here comes further than 'BRUV! hE nEaRly rElaGaTeD wItH EvErToN OMG!'
  • Koeman used to be a very conservative coach - holding on to his believes, but he's become more flexible as he realize coaches nowadays no longer have years to build the line up and tactics he envisions - he still likes to hold on to lineups and tactics too long for my likings. When players have bad streaks, he stands by them and he keeps giving them playing time - I think a wake-up call and line-up juggling is needed way faster. If all the dead weight players remain in Barcelona, don't expect Koeman to bench the likes of Roberto, Busquets, Rakitic, etc, unless he's told otherwise from above of course.
  • He likes the Dutch 4-3-3, but also tries modern versions - as long as he plays a broad-line-up with offense coming down the wings. Likes to play with two CDM's or at least two players who stand their ground to give him more insurance in transition. This is his biggest cryptonite - for instance; in Oranje he plays with de Roon, Wijnaldum and Frenkie de Jong - defensively they are all sound, but they all bring little creativity on the other side of the pitch. In Barcelona, he will almost certainly play Frenkie where he should and that alone should do wonders for Barca's ball possession game.
  • Unlike what the media might portray; Koeman is a warm personality. The way he managed the hot mess that was Oranje two years ago is very admiring - they all care and are willing to walk the extra mile for him. With a lot of big characters in the dressingroom, I think Koeman will handle those personalities well.
  • Not the coach who likes to play youngsters much, unlike they are exceptional talents or only tries them out in short stints. Ryan Babel played a crucial part in the EC-qualifiers for crying out loud (in utter disbelief, he actually played well, but still - Ryan Babel - in Oranje - as a striker - yuck). I'm not expecting Puig and Fati to suddenly start now.
  • He's one of the few who learned coaching under Cruijff and while he claims his tactics and ideas are much alike those of Cruijff - it's barely visible on the pitch. The tiki-taka, short triangles and offensive pressure - it's just not there. He plays totaal voetbal (but that's a given nowadays) and plays with a high up defensive line - other than that, he doesn't have that Barca DNA Dutch coaches like Ten Hag or Bosz do possess, only they don't have the reputation Koeman has built up as a legendary defender.
  • He plays his best players, utilizes his player strengths and adjust his line up and tactics accordingly. Sounds as if this can be found at page 1 in the coaches-for-dummies handout, but plenty of coaches are ignorant to this. Depay is a tough nut to crack, but Koeman utilizes him in his best role. Same goes for Frenkie. Promes and Bergwijn often have that free role on the wings. Always manages to insert Daley Blind into the lineup.
  • Schreuder - Bosz' partner during Ajax' rise a few years ago, will join. Not sure he's fit as a main guy (he has the smarts, but no charisma or reputation), but he was the X-factor behind Bosz. I wanted him and Ten Hag to co-coach Ajax when he left. It appears Frenkie strongly recommended him.
  • I am afraid of a Dutch enclave in Barcelona. Koeman as coach, Schreuder as his assistent, Kluivert is in control of La Masia and Jordi Cruijff is being mentioned for a role up top as well - I don't think that's ever a good idea, but I reckon Barcelona wants to bring back the Cruijff-vibe again.
  • Koeman has a strong relationship with Depay. I wouldn't be shocked if Depay leaves for Barcelona this summer. Depay has the skillset that fits the Blaugrana, but he'll almost certainly not succeed there. He can't handle the criticism, the pressure or the spotlight very well - and he's always bound to disappear during (important) stretches.
  • Coaching Barca has been his dream since he ever got his coaching degree. He'll do whatever it takes to succeed.
But, long story short; It all depends on how management deals with the roster. If Koeman starts with the same selection, I only expect minor success, if at all. He's not the guy who can juggle this roster into a well oiled machine. He doesn't have that Barca DNA. I do have a little more faith in his tenure if they bring in some smart acquisitions that fit his playing style with a box to box CM as a main priority.

I'd personally clean ship vigorously and cut ties with the likes of Rakitic, Roberto, Suarez, Griezmann. Don't care for Dembele much. Accept the fact that Pique and Busquets are no longer starting material. Jordi Alba should definitely stay. Not sure why I saw his name mentioned in a clean up.

With regards to the roster, as I've said already, if we don't sign two superior CBs then Pique will need to start. He's very obviously starting material as well as he demonstrated this season yet again. Dembele and Griezmann aren't going anywhere and Sergi shouldn't be sold either.

Stupid board, which I've been saying for years and years longer than anyone else here, and he's familiar with the club. That's it really.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think Koeman is going to do well with Barcelona. It could be a lot worse. I would be very surprised if he did worse than Setien.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
2 weeks into the Belgian League season and both Anderlecht and Gent already have new managers lol

Anderlecht of course have appointed Kompany, even though he made a mess of things last year

Gent today have fired former Midtjylland boss Jess Thorup. He led them to 2nd place last season with excellent, attacking football and has bought no less than 10(!) new players in the offseason to suit his 4-4-2 attacking diamond formation - and 2 games in they fire him and have appointed former Standard and Antwerp manager Laszlo Boloni, a man known for his physical, defensive style :huh: They have the CL qualifying rounds coming up as well.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Guus Hiddink is the new manager of the Curacao national team. One of the more intriguing teams in CONCACAF, they are able to get players from the Dutch leagues and have improved a lot last few years

Reactions: Ajacied

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Former World Cup winner (as a player), Mauro Camoranesi is the new manager of Maribor (Slovenia). You can definitely say he is paying his dues in the coaching ranks, prior to coaching in Europe he was managing in the Mexican lower leagues. His first job in Europe was a club called Tabor Sezana in Slovenia and he helped them survive their first ever season in the top flight. Expectations will be higher at Maribor

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Questionable source, but highly believable. Nagelsmann is the top target, but not very likely. Rose is a more realistic target. If they don’t sign him, they’ll sign Marsch. They considered Marsch to replace Favre in the summer, but apparently didn’t think he could yet handle a big job.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
So Jess Thorup was fired by Gent in August, then hired by Genk at the end of September, and now apparently will leave for FC Kopenhagen after just 5 games. :facepalm:

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
So Jess Thorup was fired by Gent in August, then hired by Genk at the end of September, and now apparently will leave for FC Kopenhagen after just 5 games. :facepalm:
0eZh24w.gif

Questionable source, but highly believable. Nagelsmann is the top target, but not very likely. Rose is a more realistic target. If they don’t sign him, they’ll sign Marsch. They considered Marsch to replace Favre in the summer, but apparently didn’t think he could yet handle a big job.
https://mobile.twitter.com/BVBBuzz/status/1321451439344943104

Hope Marsch gets a shot.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Not sure how it will effect his job but Ryan Giggs has been arrested for allegedly assaulting his girlfriend

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Not sure how it will effect his job but Ryan Giggs has been arrested for allegedly assaulting his girlfriend
Such a shame that someone that I looked up to so much as a kid is a scumbag. He’s deserved his due process, but with everything that we know about Giggs off the pitch it wouldn’t surprise me if he’s guilty.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
The Poch rumors are swirling again for United.

Woodward hired Ole in part bc he knew the ex players, fans and media wouldn’t go as hard at him as they do managers form outside the circle. Now he’s f***ed. Gonna get hammered for keeping him, and hammered for firing him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad