Managerial merry Go round part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I would not under any circumstances give any manager control of transfers. If Klopp and Pep don't have that power nobody should have it, and someone asking for it is a sign they've become an egomaniac. I don't know if the story is true so I'm not judging anyone. Can't take that power away from them once they have it. It's also difficult if impossible for a modern manager to scout players the way they need to be scouted. They should be spending time with their team, analyzing the opposition, and taking rests in order to prevent a burnout. It's not a surprise that all the best teams have disposed of the antiquated approach to dealing with those things.

given what happened to Poch in his last stint it could be true. Although I tend to agree. Pep wasn’t really good at it during barca years.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I would not under any circumstances give any manager control of transfers. If Klopp and Pep don't have that power nobody should have it, and someone asking for it is a sign they've become an egomaniac. I don't know if the story is true so I'm not judging anyone. Can't take that power away from them once they have it. It's also difficult if impossible for a modern manager to scout players the way they need to be scouted. They should be spending time with their team, analyzing the opposition, and taking rests in order to prevent a burnout. It's not a surprise that all the best teams have disposed of the antiquated approach to dealing with those things.
By full control he probably means what klopp and pep have to do I think

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
By full control he probably means what klopp and pep have to do I think

Words have meaning though.

Pep and Klopp do not have anything resembling “full control” of transfers are least by any reasonable definition of those words.

Liverpool’s transfer business is about a manager identifying types of players he wants, an effective scouting department identifying candidates, and knowledgeable negotiators carrying out those deals.

Klopp may have something like veto power, but that’s not remotely close to “full control”

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Words have meaning though.

Pep and Klopp do not have anything resembling “full control” of transfers are least by any reasonable definition of those words.

Liverpool’s transfer business is about a manager identifying types of players he wants, an effective scouting department identifying candidates, and knowledgeable negotiators carrying out those deals.

Klopp may have something like veto power, but that’s not remotely close to “full control”
What is Pochettino requesting?

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
If Woodward is there, no manager worth anything should go to that clown car without a heavy say in transfers. He knows jack all about transfers, and he’ll bungle whatever happens.

Klopp and Pep might not have full control, but they wouldn’t go to United without some idea that they would get players they wanted and not have Woodward making the choices. Klopp has some say, but it’s more his absolute trust in the people around him and his desire to get a player who fits what he wants more so than any particular player.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Any manager going to United should have a heavy say in incoming transfers as long as Woodward is in full control of the club. I agree that managers shouldn't have full control of transfers, but when you have a buffoon like Woodward in charge you need someone to take away some of that recruitment.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
So Spurs are getting 150m for Alli then? Could live with that.

Pochettino at Utd would be great. Just to see how good he really is. As for PSG he might have the upper hand due to his historical connection? Would also be cool. Would probably be better in case I'm wrong and that he is actually a good manager. If he turns Utd around that would seriously hurt Spurs so...

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
No one wonder he never wants to leave... if I were Atleti I’d definitely renegotiate that contract. They’re getting taken to the cleaners.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Crazy that he is earning more than coaches that are Champions League winners. Atlético should absolutely let him go as his message has clearly worn thin

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
9xrk6r4a9uj41.jpg

Pochettino was at the Arsenal-City U23 game, probably getting a good look at Sane, who he'll work with next season.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I do not have in depth knowledge about every single player at BVB, but why wouldn't 4-3-3 work? With Sancho gone there should be a lot of money available to reshape whatever is needed as far as I can tell.

Will be very interesting to see where ten Hag ends up next. I wanted him at Spurs after Pochettino. Not because I know him all that well, but a reasonably young and brave coach was what I wanted. Timing wasn't right I guess (and maybe he gets a bigger job than Spurs).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad