Managerial merry Go round part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Possibly but again its a question mark. Is he more Pep or Del Bosque? If its the latter Barca could run into trouble.

I think tactics will be more important. His arrival shouldn't affect the finishing abilities of the players already there. It could affect how many scoring chances they get though.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Barcelona hired a manager I had never heard of. I saw the name and had to look who he was because I hadn’t ever heard the name.

Was there no one who wanted the job? Unless he’s some hidden aficionado that most people aren’t aware of, this guy seems to be the type of guy a mid table team hires when they’ve fallen to the relegation spots.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Barcelona hired a manager I had never heard of. I saw the name and had to look who he was because I hadn’t ever heard the name.

Was there no one who wanted the job? Unless he’s some hidden aficionado that most people aren’t aware of, this guy seems to be the type of guy a mid table team hires when they’ve fallen to the relegation spots.
Anyone who watches La liga would know his name. We'll see how he does he's not battle tested but there is cause to be optimistic and pessimistic. I choose the former. He should be given a fair chance, its not as if they brought in Gary Neville type.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
On managerial stuff, I have to think Eddie Howe is going to get whacked soon. They just look like they're out of ideas and aren't playing for him. He's fallen way down when you consider he was the toast of media and the next 'tactical' guy when he first came up. I give him credit for sticking to how he wants to play, but at some point, they might need to throw it long and hope for the best.

The big thing with this Bournemouth side (and why Eddie Howe's stock has fallen with it) is that he's essentially playing with the exact same squad he brought them up with. They're a tiny team with a tiny budget - there are still folks who start for them who came up from League One who he hasn't been able to upgrade - and, when the team has spent, they've spent stupid most of the time (their only good signings have been Ake and arguably Jefferson Lerma). I think removing Eddie Howe might be their only option in the hopes of switching things up, but I think it really is a matter of him having taken them as far as they can go. All things considered, for a club of their size, five straight years in the top flight is pretty remarkable. Howe is as good a coach as ever, but there's only so much you can do.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
could be worse.

Let's see how we play under him. Suarez out is huge in a bad way

Absolutely could be worse. All things considered I'm fine with Setien. At the end of the day it comes down to would you rather continue with Valverde or would you rather have Setien come in. I'll go with Setien. The season isn't shaping up well as it is and we've little if any signs of real change under Valverde. If Setien can deliver La Liga and better yet a double I'd be very happy.

Said it yesterday. Suarez out is massive. Such a fantastic player and his loss will certainly be felt more than just goals. Like I said though, time for Griezmann to step up.

One thing I'm weary of the appointment is the end product. His Betis team was a joy to watch however they lacked goals, I'm sure a lot of it had to do with having bad strikers but its a question mark for Setien. Lo celso scored most of their goals so, it might be just a lack of a good striker and not tactics. We'll see... one thing is for sure it will be better footy than Valverde. So, I'm content for now.

Well they didn't have a lot of excellent firepower up front. Some quality to be sure. My concern is will Setien be too rigid in his tactics and be too patient waiting for only the perfect chances. We'll have to wait and see. One thing is for sure though, I think we'll see a better brand of football. We'll let in more goals, but I want to be entertained. I also hope that Setien realizes he doesn't have much to lose considering the larger picture and that he is demanding and lights a spark under the team's arse.

Barça were linked with Setien while he was at Betis and while Valverde was in charge. We're talking close to two years ago. He doesn't have the resume to get a job like this, but that doesn't mean he isn't capable. Time will tell. He was selected for how his teams play and for what he's done. Betis my be the pinnacle of his managerial career, but he did some good things with Betis and Las Palmas, having some good matches against us in the process.

Well who else are you going to bring in right now? Rumors of Pochettino, but either he said "no" or wasn't approached. I think there are some other options out there that might have said "yes", but Setien probably isn't too far off of them and he has La Liga experience.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
A few more things to think about regarding Setien:
  • "I told Cruyff that I would have given my pinky to play in his club."
  • Setien: "I remember Cruyff’s Barcelona. You played against them, and you spent the whole match running after the ball. I said to myself: 'This is what I like. I would like to be in this team, and know why this is happening.’"
  • Todibo's loan to Schalke sounds all but done with him being in Germany, but would think Setien might find him useful.
  • I think Sergi will get more minutes than Semedo.
  • I think Firpo could get a few more chances now.
  • I don't think the fomation will change.
  • Curious to see what happens in the transfer market if he survives into next season. The club has been linked Fabian, a player Setien has managed and really likes, but whose transfer fee would be exorbitant. Also curious if Umtiti is sold if he'd make a play for Bartra.
  • Last team to beat us at home, Setien's Betis. After which Busquets gave him a signed shirt that read "To Quique, with appreciation and admiration for your way of seeing football. A hug."
  • What Setien said to Betis when they signed him:
EOMsFIKXkAY0xQV

• Very possession oriented manager. Doesn't want players chasing the ball:

Last edited:

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I like the Setien hire A LOT more than the other names that were thrown like Allegri, Poch and Xavi.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I read he called them up. I can just picture it now, Barcelona parking the after going 1 up against a 10 man Leganes team. I can see the Molotov cocktail being thrown from the stands towards Allegri's direction
No thanks he can return to juve after Dybala leaves :)

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
The big thing with this Bournemouth side (and why Eddie Howe's stock has fallen with it) is that he's essentially playing with the exact same squad he brought them up with. They're a tiny team with a tiny budget - there are still folks who start for them who came up from League One who he hasn't been able to upgrade - and, when the team has spent, they've spent stupid most of the time (their only good signings have been Ake and arguably Jefferson Lerma). I think removing Eddie Howe might be their only option in the hopes of switching things up, but I think it really is a matter of him having taken them as far as they can go. All things considered, for a club of their size, five straight years in the top flight is pretty remarkable. Howe is as good a coach as ever, but there's only so much you can do.

Quality as usual from you Seamus.

I am amazed that Bournemouth has lasted this long. You can't expect them to compete with the giants of England forever but the fact they have done so (and admirably) is something all their fans should be proud of.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I’m excited to see Howe at the next club he manages. I really do think he could be a real good manager for a big club. I think his biggest test would be managing big egos and big players, but I think tactically he would fit well at a big club.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I like the Setien hire A LOT more than the other names that were thrown like Allegri, Poch and Xavi.

I do, though I can still get behind Xavi taking the helm at some point. That said I'm very excited about Setien's appointment. I think he's going to ramp up the intensity and it's going to be entertaining. I'd rather they play attractive football and lose than play boring football and win.

Setien's track record thus far has been good. I keep reading his resume isn't impressive, but how much better was he supposed to do with any of the sides he managed? And he had some big scalps. Beating us 4-3 at the Camp Nou and beating Madrid at the Bernabeu twice in a row shutting them out in the process. That assistant too, Sarabia... he should light a few fires under a few asses.

Reactions: Cassano

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I do tend to agree that Howe is probably partly a victim of his own success, but I'm not sure if it is entirely true.

The three last years Bournemouth have had a fairly significant net spend.

17/18: 34.3M
18/19: 68.9M
19/20: 22M

Obviously not huge money compared to the big clubs, but not insignificant compared to the mid-lower half of the PL.

As for having the same squad. Clearly "exactly" the same is completely off.

Begovic
Smith - Cook - Ake - Daniels
Fraser - Gosling - Lerma - Brooks
Wilson - King

That would be the 11 players starting the most games in the PL last season. The players in bold never played a game for them in The Championship. Three of the players that have established themselves this year are Ramsdale, Rico and Billing. None of those played in The Championship for Bournemouth. One could also add Harry Wilson even if that is just a loan. I guess partly down to injuries, but Cook, Fraser and Wilson are the only three players left from The Championship that are "always" playing these days.

And it is not like the squad is filled up with players back from when they played in The Championship. The other Cook (Lewis), Stacey, Mepham etc. are new players.

I don't watch enough Bournemouth to say why they have lost their mojo, but something has happened - and it is not because the squad has gone stale.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I can't wait to hear Pochettino's philosophical explanation for why he can take the Barcelona job after categorically saying he never would (which obviously was a silly thing to say in the first place). He seems to have some connection to Qatar. Can't hurt in this context.

Not sure why Barcelona would hire him, but I hope he gets the job at some point. I don't think he is good enough, but then we will see.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I can't wait to hear Pochettino's philosophical explanation for why he can take the Barcelona job after categorically saying he never would (which obviously was a silly thing to say in the first place). He seems to have some connection to Qatar. Can't hurt in this context.

Not sure why Barcelona would hire him, but I hope he gets the job at some point. I don't think he is good enough, but then we will see.
He's definitely good enough but you already knew that. As for the rest well its pretty clear he needs to fix his name. So, that's probably why he considered it. I don't actually believe he'll ever come this was as close as the stars will ever align for he and barca. Just wasn't meant to be.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
He's definitely good enough but you already knew that. As for the rest well its pretty clear he needs to fix his name. So, that's probably why he considered it. I don't actually believe he'll ever come this was as close as the stars will ever align for he and barca. Just wasn't meant to be.

I do? When Pochettino was linked to "big teams" even years ago I questioned if he had the right skills for that kind of job. Pochettino created something fantastic with a young squad at Spurs. It was almost cult like where everyone were willing to sacrifice individual achievements and wishes for the overall goal of the team. It was really a joy to watch both in terms of the quality of the football and how they really fought for each other. Rare to see in football (more common in hockey - especially on an international level).

Maybe you can argue Barcelona had something similar under Guardiola? I don't know. I don't follow Barcelona that closely (I just watch them in the CL, el classico etc. - not enough to understand the team on that level). Most big teams do not work like that. RM never has. PSG doesn't. And I doubt Barcelona today do.

I'm not saying Pochettino will fail, but to say "I know he is good enough" is false. I don't. You might even find old posts from me on here saying that - not sure.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
In what way does that guy think Valverde was mistreated?

To an extent yeah, he's right since Valverde wasn't informed or fired when they were actively searching for his replacement. Regardless, he know this was coming cant keep losing and expect to carry on.

I do? When Pochettino was linked to "big teams" even years ago I questioned if he had the right skills for that kind of job. Pochettino created something fantastic with a young squad at Spurs. It was almost cult like where everyone were willing to sacrifice individual achievements and wishes for the overall goal of the team. It was really a joy to watch both in terms of the quality of the football and how they really fought for each other. Rare to see in football (more common in hockey - especially on an international level).

Maybe you can argue Barcelona had something similar under Guardiola? I don't know. I don't follow Barcelona that closely (I just watch them in the CL, el classico etc. - not enough to understand the team on that level). Most big teams do not work like that. RM never has. PSG doesn't. And I doubt Barcelona today do.

I'm not saying Pochettino will fail, but to say "I know he is good enough" is false. I don't. You might even find old posts from me on here saying that - not sure.

So, you've always been wrong... congrats.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Thanks.

How can I argue against such convincing arguments? Of course I was always wrong. And I know it.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
There’s really nothing else I can say. He took the spurs as far as he can, with little support. There’s nothing to suggest that he can’t coach a team like barca with infinite resources. We’ll see his next project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad