Management

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
If you guys had the option to chose to keep only one of babs, lou, and shanny as well as one of hunter and dubas, who would you choose? Keep in mind the other options would be replaced by the previous person who held the position.

For me i would choose, Babs and Hunter. You need a great coach if you want to win with a young team. We will be a young team with so much talent coming up. I would choose Hunter as we have seen how badly we have done drafting for a long long time. Now Hunter hasn't produced any nhlers yet, but so many of our 2015 prospects are doing great, he has been a big part in changing the culture of the team.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
easy

Shanahan.
because ultimately he'd be the one firing everyone else and we'd get better people if not the ones we already have

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
If you guys had the option to chose to keep only one of babs, lou, and shanny as well as one of hunter and dubas, who would you choose? Keep in mind the other options would be replaced by the previous person who held the position.

For me i would choose, Babs and Hunter. You need a great coach if you want to win with a young team. We will be a young team with so much talent coming up. I would choose Hunter as we have seen how badly we have done drafting for a long long time. Now Hunter hasn't produced any nhlers yet, but so many of our 2015 prospects are doing great, he has been a big part in changing the culture of the team.

Why would you ask this question? Why not just ask who is most important to the organization.

Anyway, Babcock and Hunter are the obvious answers for the obvious now, but ask yourself as well, would they even be here if Shanahan wasn't here before them... or would even Shanahan be here if Leiweke wasn't here? So who really was most important.

Last edited:

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
That's a tough choice. Ultimately it's Shanahan, as he has earned my confidence in terms of setting a clear direction for the team and acquiring a great management staff. Losing Babcock would be terrible, but Shanahan would find a good coach, and Babcock alone can't lead you to the promised land. Having an amazing coach like Babcock is great but you need smart management and scouting to support that and Shanahan can get you that (in my opinion, the results remain to be seen).

I take Hunter over Dubas, his eye for young talent is too valuable to give up.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Babcock
Hunter
Shanahan
Dubas
Lou

Babcock is a generational coach, elite talent. Hunter is great too, but I have been really impressed with Babs. Goof thing we have all these guys.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Shanahan's vision & Shanahan bringing it all together. If the talent matches the management, we will have lots of success for a long period.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Shanahan, who went to arbitration with Bernier? No, I could have done that better.
Babcock, who run down 2 goalies in the first 2 months? No, I could have done that better.
So it's Lamoriello for me. He is proven in his position, it's also not a problem to have a GM long term. Shanahan is unproven and you don't sign a coach long term. The system is good but you don't need Babcock for that and where could we have been now if both Bernier and Reimer weren't overused. Reimer might never had injured his groins and Bernier might not have this slump so deep, but the mistake was not to trade Bernier before this season and sign Neuvirth or Greiss instead for peanuts.
And as others I keep Hunter because of his experience. Dubas is good but not so important in the first place.
Keeping others who had the position before? Lamoriello would obviously change that by time, it's his job.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
I have a feeling many of us won't be thrilled with the returns Lou gets us this trade deadline.

It's because we have to sell, we didn't trade Bernier last season and what benefit did that give us when we had to sign him. We need to sell as mentioned many times and replace them with short term contracts to trade them again. We could trade Neuvirth instead of Bernier now. It's really not so important to max the return, important is to get something and do it again and again.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
It's because we have to sell, we didn't trade Bernier last season and what benefit did that give us when we had to sign him. We need to sell as mentioned many times and replace them with short term contracts to trade them again. We could trade Neuvirth instead of Bernier now. It's really not so important to max the return, important is to get something and do it again and again.

It is ABSOLUTELY important to max the return. Classic asset management is to build up the value of your asset and sell at its highest perceived value. Quality of picks and prospects returned to us is very important.

Why do you think we put Matthias on the top line in JVR's absence?

You can still do it again and again. But each time you should be scraping to get that 3rd turned into a 2nd.

I don't know what you're going on about with Bernier.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
It is ABSOLUTELY important to max the return. Classic asset management is to build up the value of your asset and sell at its highest perceived value. Quality of picks and prospects returned to us is very important.

Why do you think we put Matthias on the top line in JVR's absence?

You can still do it again and again. But each time you should be scraping to get that 3rd turned into a 2nd.

I don't know what you're going on about with Bernier.

Of course you take the best offer the market gives you, but you should trade and take the best offer and not like in the past keep Bernier because the return might be less than you want. You could have Neuvirth now and could get more for him than you will ever get for Bernier.

What was it good for to keep Bernier and not trade him last season, lost assets.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Tough one. The only one I don't care much for is Lamoriello and he hasn't done much so far to convince me he was worth a 3rd round pick or whatever. Still early but that's probably the only hiring that I'm still not convinced it was the right move.

Babcock is one of a kind and one of the best coaches ever of the NHL... but he's not here if Shanahan isn't more then likely. His vision has impressed a lot of people so I think Shanahan deserves a lot of credit.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
I might choose Hunter... him or Babcock.

Good talent and depth makes any coach look good. Tough call though.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
good thing we don't have to chose, we have them signed for the long run, this group is together with one goal in mind, if they do happen to succeed they will be legends beyond what they are already

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad