Management V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Upoil

Zaboomafoo
Aug 8, 2010
Bermuda
I took this quote from the Joulevi thread because I think this is more relevant here:

looks like [Benning]'s on track for his 3rd Calder finalist in a row?

I went back and looked at the Calder results from 2009 and 2019.

In that time both Colorado and Florida have more than one Calder winner (both at two). Colorado has Landeskog and MacKinnon. Florida has Huberdeau and Ekblad.

If you open that up to the top two in voting (winner and runner up) Vancouver enters the mix with two as well.

If you look at top 5 (which I arbitrarily chose) the best team in regards to Calder votes is Chicago - with 4 top 5 guys. Buffalo, Boston, Colorado, Edmonton, Islanders all have 3 top 5 guys in that time-frame.

Interesting side notes. In 2014 Tampa had two players in the top 5 of the Calder race (Palat and Johnson) which accounts for their entire population of top 5 Calder vote recipients during this time. Same with Toronto in 2017 with Matthews and Marner.

Other 'streaks' like Vancouver getting Boeser then Pettersson include:

- NYI - 2010 Tavares at #5 then 2011 Grabner at #3
- EDM - 2012 RNH at #2 then 2013 Yakupov at #5
- WPG - 2017 Laine at #2 then 2018 Conner at # 4

If I weight the rankings as first rank worth 5 points down to fifth rank worth 1 point Chicago and Colorado are the best with 13 'points'. Here is the table:

TeamRanking# Top 5 Guys
CHI134
COL133
BUF103
FLA102
NYI93
VAN92
CBJ82
EDM83
TBL72
PHI62
TOR62
WPG62
BOS53
CAR51
DET52
OTT52
ANA41
MTL41
NSH42
SJS41
STL41
ARI31
CGY31
DAL32
NJD31
PIT32
MIN21
LAK11
NYR11
WSH11
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
My conclusion is that none of this really means that much. Good way to kill the last bit of time at work though.

Last edited:

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Figured this post fit better here.
It's actually worse when you do the math without carrying over this years bonuses to EP and QH, because I don't think capfriendly can project that, I've got them having $4.3m in cap space with 13 forwards, 8 defensman and one goalie. The bonuses will eat that $4.3m cushion. So look for Demko to tandem with a league minimum type like McIlhinney or something.

That's with Loui and Sven buried (no one is trading for these guys).

Juolevi and Rafferty on the roster at under $850k a piece, same with Motte and Macewan. Tanev and Stecher got minor raises, Tanev up to $4.5 and Stecher up to $3m.

Error - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

This should be eye opening and extremely concerning, but we're too busy heaping praise on JT Miller to worry about the future.

Basically downgrades at forward (Leivo and Schaller are better than Macewan and Motte). Same blueline. Worse goaltending situation. It's dire and nobody is really worrying about it. It's crazy to me.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Benning is just ****ing God-awful. How in the hell has he managed to build a team that's 21st in points % in the NHL with essentially no major injuries while being maxed out in cap space while having something like 15 to 20 million in negative-value contracts on the roster? And no 1st round pick?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
For all of the wild excitement about young guns like Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser and Demko, unfortunately Benning has sucked the life out of this team's future by handing out some of the worst contracts for bottom-six forwards in the entire league.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Sutter and Beagle are the Canucks 'glue guys', Anytime those guys aren't in the lineup things come unstuck. And then you have a big mess to clean up. These are things only old school guys like Benning know about, things like the importance of glue guys. A team really can't have too much glue.

And that is why Mr Aquilini has a guy like Jim Benning around to help guide the ship. This is the kind of stuff you won't find in books.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
For all of the wild excitement about young guns like Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser and Demko, unfortunately Benning has sucked the life out of this team's future by handing out some of the worst contracts for bottom-six forwards in the entire league.

Against the cap with only 2 top 6 wingers.

Not good.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
The Canucks are on pace to miss the playoffs for a fifth consecutive year. That’s a franchise record for longest playoff drought. Despite the fact that there never was any rebuild, they are now capped out, and without a future first round pick. If people are negative about this team, it’s for damn good reason!

Reactions: 420Canuck

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
The Canucks are on pace to miss the playoffs for a fifth consecutive year. That’s a franchise record for longest playoff drought. Despite the fact that there never was any rebuild, they are now capped out, and without a future first round pick. If people are negative about this team, it’s for damn good reason!

Opportunistic time to post this when we are barely out of the playoffs with 50 odd games left to go..

Just like an NHL prospect you have to pay less attention to the results and pay more attention to how we got to the result when it comes to a team that is growing and developing in its early stages. I like the way this team has played, largely controlling the play and consistently controlling the play against top opponents and mostly losing close games while travelling over 10,000 kilometers a fortnite and suffering key injuries. The majority of losses this season have felt like the Canucks played well enough to win but didn’t get rewarded.

This year’s team is light years ahead of last year’s team in terms of talent and depth and every underlying indicator is pointing to the Canucks team being a playoff caliber team. The schedule doesn’t get any worse than November, it gets better from here. We have players that are genuinely exciting to watch every night. Choose to be negative about it if you want, that’s your right, but I also have the right to think you’re nuts!

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Opportunistic time to post this when we are barely out of the playoffs with 50 odd games left to go..

Just like an NHL prospect you have to pay less attention to the results and pay more attention to how we got to the result when it comes to a team that is growing and developing in its early stages. I like the way this team has played, largely controlling the play and consistently controlling the play against top opponents and mostly losing close games while travelling over 10,000 kilometers a fortnite and suffering key injuries. The majority of losses this season have felt like the Canucks played well enough to win but didn’t get rewarded.

This year’s team is light years ahead of last year’s team in terms of talent and depth and every underlying indicator is pointing to the Canucks team being a playoff caliber team. The schedule doesn’t get any worse than November, it gets better from here. We have players that are genuinely exciting to watch every night. Choose to be negative about it if you want, that’s your right, but I also have the right to think you’re nuts!

And I have the right to say our track records speak for themselves. I’ve been right about this team year after year while you have consistently been wrong.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I always love when there are Canucks management puff posts just praising everything, and telling us all about their fantastic underlying indicators, but there is never a link to a source of this fantastic data.

The data I see, has the team scoring one more goal than they've allowed 5 on 5. That's not a great indicator. They're above 50% in CF, largely because they've had to chase games throughout November and December because they've trailed all the time.

Scoring chance data has dropped quite a bit, they're now 20th overall, almost like their 21st rank in point %.

19th in shooting %, 16th in sv%.

I would agree this team is much better than last years team, but last years team was terrible. 81 points flattered them.

Forgot the link: Team Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

Last edited:

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Forbes has released its latest franchise values and the Canucks have increased theirs by only 1% from last year to $740m. That is means the team lost $60m (7.5%) during Bennings reign.

5. Vancouver Canucks

The Business Of Hockey

For reference, the Bruins went up from $750m to $1B, the Oilers from 475 to 575 and the Flames from 451 to 500m over the same period.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Forbes has released its latest franchise values and the Canucks have increased theirs by only 1% from last year to $740m. That is means the team lost $60m (7.5%) during Bennings reign.

5. Vancouver Canucks

The Business Of Hockey

For reference, the Bruins went up from $750m to $1B, the Oilers from 475 to 575 and the Flames from 451 to 500m over the same period.
You know who is going to get blamed for this, good lord, it's going to be a but gillis blood bath in here today.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing

5. Vancouver Canucks

The Business Of Hockey

When teams are trending downwards as they rebuild, their franchise values are likely to trend downwards. When teams are trending upwards and look like they have a realistic shot of making the playoffs and/or beyond, franchise values tend to trend upwards. What you are saying is not rocket science.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
And I have the right to say our track records speak for themselves. I’ve been right about this team year after year while you have consistently been wrong.

Not necessarily. You’ve predicted every year that the Canucks would finish last or in the bottom three.

You showed great anger and frustration that the Canucks were “trying” and were ruining their odds in the lottery. Canucks ended up walking with a franchise center (Pettersson) and a guy that looks like he’ll be a franchise D man (Hughes).

You’ve criticized Benning for not being able to draft and develop prospects that come up through the system and make the team, while guys like Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes, Virtanen, Gaudette, Demko, and what will likely be Tryamkin later this year, all made and will remake the team.

You’ve cited Toronto numerous times as being an organization that has done the rebuild “the correct” way, and yet the Leafs haven’t won’t a playoff round since 2002......and given their self-inflicted cap problems, likely won’t win a cup with their current core (although I do concede that they’ll win some playoff rounds and will likely be this generations version of the 2010-2015 Penguins).

You hated the J.T. Miller deal and he’s been an absolute godsend.

You bashed and ridiculed Utica all of these years and they now have one of the strongest farms in the AHL and the “analytics” will agree with this no matter how it is attempted to be spun.

I could continue to go on and on.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
When teams are trending downwards as they rebuild, their franchise values are likely to trend downwards. When teams are trending upwards and look like they have a realistic shot of making the playoffs and/or beyond, franchise values tend to trend upwards. What you are saying is not rocket science.

This not true. The Canucks are the only team that lost value compared to 2014, every other team increased by margins ranging from several 10 millions to hundreds of millions. The LAKings, a team clearly trending downwards since 2014, increased their franchise value by 46.6% from $580m to $850m from 2014 to 2019.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I always love when there are Canucks management puff posts just praising everything, and telling us all about their fantastic underlying indicators, but there is never a link to a source of this fantastic data.

The data I see, has the team scoring one more goal than they've allowed 5 on 5. That's not a great indicator. They're above 50% in CF, largely because they've had to chase games throughout November and December because they've trailed all the time.

Scoring chance data has dropped quite a bit, they're now 20th overall, almost like their 21st rank in point %.

19th in shooting %, 16th in sv%.

I would agree this team is much better than last years team, but last years team was terrible. 81 points flattered them.

Forgot the link: Team Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

Corsi this year isn't even predictive. The relationship to Pt% has never had a huge predictive value but there was at least some correlation in the past. So far this year there is nothing (the trend line is all but horizontal).

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Corsi this year isn't even predictive. The relationship to Pt% has never had a huge predictive value but there was at least some correlation in the past. So far this year there is nothing (the trend line is all but horizontal).
Yeah, it may not be predictive but it's still just a measure of what's occurring on the ice. And it's not like there is ranking was a fantastic indicator like it was suggested anyways.

The Canucks are better than last year, mid pack team in the standings and by most metrics. Their Goal differential is still looking pretty good, but we already know how they built most of that in October vs LA and Detroit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad