Management Thread: Weisileaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
It's kind of shocking how hard Virtanen, Gaudette and MacEwen have been treated since the premature end to last season. They all had their warts, for sure, but Virtanen and Gaudette had had solid secondary scoring seasons, and MacEwen showed well down the stretch.

Then the bubble comes, and Green immediately relegates them all to the pressbox in favour of his veterans, and it looks like none of them have really re-gained any semblance of confidence since. And with their sporadic ice-time and dodgy deployment, it's not like they can really be expected to be producing tons of results right now, either.

A smart team will trade for Gaudette at an absolute discount, and a dumb team will pay more for Virtanen. Wonder if we'll see that happen.

Gaudette needs to be given a run of games as a top-6 winger, probably next to Pettersson. Put Miller down to the 3C spot and try to create 3 scoring lines.

Gaudette is a scoring line winger. Period. He isn't going to play C in the NHL, and he isn't going to be a bottom 6 guy.

Absolutely.

Been saying for over a year now that Gaudette should be paired with Horvat. Bo has become such a beast at faceoffs that he's the natural fit at center, but you could create a Miller-Pettersson like pairing with those two. Think this is even clearer now with Hoglander's emergence.

Watching Gaudette try to make things happen with Sutter and Roussel is just maddening.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Once again Sutter, who plays centre, has zero assists in 22 games.

So if you are a winger playing with him you literally have a zero chance thus far of being set up by one Mr. Sutter.

For those of you who thrill to the thoughts of fancy stats:

That is zero assists/60 minutes this season so 0/60.

He making 4.375M per season so you would think he would want to help out sometimes but alas, no.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Gaudette needs a chance with Miller, possibly on a reloaded 3rd line. Gaudette needs to be fed the puck — pair him with the guy who can circle around the high slot with the puck drawing defenders and opening up passing lanes.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Gaudette needs a chance with Miller, possibly on a reloaded 3rd line. Gaudette needs to be fed the puck — pair him with the guy who can circle around the high slot with the puck drawing defenders and opening up passing lanes.

Who will replace Miller on the Lotto Line?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Hopefully one of the prospects we have waiting in the wings from when our GM amassed draft picks during our rebuild.
So true. I seriously thought JB might have a heart attack having to walk up to the stage so often during the drafts to use all those picks. He’s not a young man anymore.

Reactions: rypper

carrotshirt

Jan 1, 2009

So if you are a winger playing with him you literally have a zero chance thus far of being set up by one Mr. Sutter.

He making 4.375M per season so you would think he would want to help out sometimes but alas, no.
This must be one of those moral victories he was going on about.

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Who will replace Miller on the Lotto Line?

This is where not having Toffoli hurts, that right side hole is where Virtanen should have stepped into to give us this flexibility. But hopefully Podholzin can step in.

Miller as 3C scenario....

Hoglander - Pettersen - Boeser
Pearson - Horvat - Podholzin
Roussel - Miller - Gaudette/Virtanen
Sutter - Beagle - MacEwen

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Maybe in two three years:

Hoglander Pettersson Boeser
Miller Horvat Podz
Kunz Macewan Gaudette
Gadjovich XX Eriksson

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Sutter is one of the strangest players I've ever seen.

Most players' results and production are hugely tied to icetime, linemates, and usage. If you give them top-6 minutes with good linemates they score, if you throw them in 10 minutes/game with plugs they don't.

But Sutter's production is almost flat no matter how you use him. Linemates are almost irrelevant because he doesn't use them and has zero vision/offensive IQ/hockey sense. Everything he does is off broken play and physical skills - good skater (or used to be), good shot, pretty decent puckhandling skills. Picks up a puck off a turnover and skates into position and shoots. Put him on a top line and he'll score 15 goals while sinking that line. Put him on a 4th line and he'll score like 12, and the only difference will be that he's playing a bit less.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
leivo was like that too in his stint with us and his time on the leafs

same production regardless of where you put him. no elevated performance

would you guys take doug wilson in front office? i would.

Reactions: Luckylarry

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
It's kind of shocking how hard Virtanen, Gaudette and MacEwen have been treated since the premature end to last season. They all had their warts, for sure, but Virtanen and Gaudette had had solid secondary scoring seasons, and MacEwen showed well down the stretch.

Then the bubble comes, and Green immediately relegates them all to the pressbox in favour of his veterans, and it looks like none of them have really re-gained any semblance of confidence since. And with their sporadic ice-time and dodgy deployment, it's not like they can really be expected to be producing tons of results right now, either.

Yup. Gaudette is one of the highest individual chance producing forwards in the NHL right now, except his on-ice shooting percentage is a comically low 2% (7.8 is the average). Guy needs a look in the top 6 and, honestly, probably more PP time to give him some confidence/momentum and get him going.

Virtanen hasn't had a great start to the year but has more to give. Unfortunately with this coach, he's rather quick to bench, demote or scratch him despite already having shown that he's a top 9 forward. We don't even have 9 forwards who are better than him - hence Green shoots himself in the foot whenever he chooses to play somebody else. It's that simple.

As for MacEwen... I've already made my thoughts on this clear. He already should've been a 4th line regular last year and it's hilarious how he's still a healthy scratch in favour of Eriksson who actually, truly looks done as an NHL'er. To me Mac beating up Forbort is just icing on the cake.

Hopefully one of the prospects we have waiting in the wings from when our GM amassed draft picks during our rebuild.

No kidding. We have more wingers than we know what to do with that need more opportunities but are weak at center right now, so why not plug Miller in as 3C to balance out the top 9?

Heck, they're even trying to convert guys like Jasek and Lind to C and I believe it's partly to address this lack of depth.

Gaudette needs to be given a run of games as a top-6 winger, probably next to Pettersson. Put Miller down to the 3C spot and try to create 3 scoring lines.

Gaudette is a scoring line winger. Period. He isn't going to play C in the NHL, and he isn't going to be a bottom 6 guy.

I feel like you're in my head and reading my exact thoughts lol.

I have to think this is in direct relation to Green's lack of extension.

He's coaching for his next job, not for the future of the Canucks as long as he doesn't have a future contract.

I get that Green is coaching for his job here and most likely isn't going to give any of the unestablished younger players the benefit of the doubt over the vets, but this hardly makes sense. Especially when the younger guys are ones who actually contribute and help you win.

Sutter is one of the strangest players I've ever seen.

Most players' results and production are hugely tied to icetime, linemates, and usage. If you give them top-6 minutes with good linemates they score, if you throw them in 10 minutes/game with plugs they don't.

But Sutter's production is almost flat no matter how you use him. Linemates are almost irrelevant because he doesn't use them and has zero vision/offensive IQ/hockey sense. Everything he does is off broken play and physical skills - good skater (or used to be), good shot, pretty decent puckhandling skills. Picks up a puck off a turnover and skates into position and shoots. Put him on a top line and he'll score 15 goals while sinking that line. Put him on a 4th line and he'll score like 12, and the only difference will be that he's playing a bit less.

... And this is why he's better than Bonino. :sarcasm:

Because his offence is foundational - it isn't dependent on other factors like linemates or usage. It's consistent, predictable and can be relied upon. Truly, Benning was onto something here!!!

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Somehow the LAK, only 2 years into a fully declared hard rebuild, look like stronger team than Vancouver this season. Except they are actually full of young 1st/2nd year NHLers on the rise, and have a murderer's row of blue chip prospects developing in the AHL.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Somehow the LAK, only 2 years into a fully declared hard rebuild, look like stronger team than Vancouver this season. Except they are actually full of young 1st/2nd year NHLers on the rise, and have a murderer's row of blue chip prospects developing in the AHL.
First the rangers, then the kings.
Going fully committed to a rebuild is the fastest way out of a rebuild but too bad aqua man and jb doesn’t understand hat simple concept

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
First the rangers, then the kings.
Going fully committed to a rebuild is the fastest way out of a rebuild but too bad aqua man and jb doesn’t understand hat simple concept
Doesnt always work tho, the Rangers are imploding like something that has imploded

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Doesnt always work tho, the Rangers are imploding like something that has imploded

tenor.gif

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If the Canucks hire a President of Hockey Operations with orders to come and clean house; if Podkolzin gets signed and introduced to the NHL for a few games; and if against all odds, the Canucks actually moved up in the draft lottery or heaven forbid, even won it, then the year would be a solid success as far as I'm concerned.

It's almost as if what happens on the ice in 2021 is virtually 'irrelevant'. This franchise so desperately needs change at the top and some luck in the draft that those two things alone would render the year a success. if they came to fruition.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Hence why it’s f***ing ridiculous when people get overly excited about this team.

This team has some nice pieces but ain’t winning shit when you compare them to the likes of Tampa, Colorado and LA.

Reactions: Christina Woloski

carrotshirt

Jan 1, 2009
Of course teardown rebuilds don’t always work, but what did we gain by not having one in 2014? 2015? 2016? And onward. The goal was to compete and they failed spectacularly, shedding picks to ‘improve’ in the present with little regard to the future.

Now we live in the future they’ve created and the only bright spots for the franchise are the high picks the team was given because the’d failed so impressively at competing.

The argument against the teardown rebuild is that you can end up with a losing culture. This team has been one of the worst in the league for nearly a decade and I can’t help but notice a seemingly disastrous start to this season.

So we didn’t do a teardown rebuild so that we could avoid... pretty much exactly what we are right now.

Would sure be nice to have all the young players we should have drafted over all these years instead of chasing butterflies.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Francesco needs to wake up and smell the coffee.
It's been 7 years and they're still not a playoff team.
Retooling (rebuilding?) has been a failure.
Even the media talking-heads are finally acknowledging this.

But there are still those who think Benning deserves more time.
Except, there's no reason to think he's learned anything or will do better in the future.
No cap space to work with.
No pool of multiple high quality, cheap prospects just waiting to force themselves onto the roster.
It's not going to get better under this management regime.
Need more explanation of my thoughts?
Go look at the capitals.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
If the Canucks hire a President of Hockey Operations with orders to come and clean house; if Podkolzin gets signed and introduced to the NHL for a few games; and if against all odds, the Canucks actually moved up in the draft lottery or heaven forbid, even won it, then the year would be a solid success as far as I'm concerned.

It's almost as if what happens on the ice in 2021 is virtually 'irrelevant'. This franchise so desperately needs change at the top and some luck in the draft that those two things alone would render the year a success. if they came to fruition.

Let’s be realistic here. If the Canucks get mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, our overpaid veteran players will magically start to produce in meaningless games against other non-playoff teams and bump our draft pick up. Sutter did it last time IIRC - king of the garbage goals in meaningless games.

Reactions: I am toxic

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
I agree that it’s not always gonna work but it’s still better than “competing” like the Canucks did for the last 7 years.
I think rangers will be a legit contender in 2 years, they have some great young talent coming up

Reactions: I am toxic
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad