Management Thread: Weisileaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Our 3 best forwards have a combined caphit of 12.05M. (Boeser,petey,miller)

Our 3 worst have a combined caphit of 12.337M (Eriksson, baertschi, beagle)

how does our gm still have a job when he’s spending more money on his 3 worst forwards combined compared to his 3 best
Our owner is a friggin’ dough head?

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Well, as the saying goes, the best time was 5 years ago; the second best time is now.

The time has long since past for Benning to be fired.
And yet, he's still here.
Nobody can provide a rational argument to support such a thing.
Knowledgeable fans have already demolished any arguments that Benning deserves his job.

The sad fact is that even marginal success is enough to dupe FA
It boggles my mind.
Maybe a fan boycott of merchandise can sway Frank the Tank's thinking.
Every dollar counts, after all.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Trevor Linden
Alex Edler
Nils Hoglander
Kevin Bieksa

Thomas Gradin
Igor Larionov
Markus Naslund
Ed Jovanovski

Just some of my favourite Canucks from past and present.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Knowledgeable fans have already demolished any arguments that Benning deserves his job.

It boggles my mind.
aquilini-green-benning.jpeg

Canucks owner gives vote of confidence to Jim Benning, Travis Green on Twitter

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays

It boggles my mind.
Merch sales are split evenly throughout the league so no team is able to be hurt by it unfortunately.

Reactions: mossey3535

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Merch sales are split evenly throughout the league so no team is able to be hurt by it unfortunately.

That is something I didn't realize.
And I thank you for letting me know.
Nonetheless, I'm sure FA would notice if Canucks merch took a nosedive
Knowing it's a league-wide thing doesn't change my outlook

Total revenue would take a hit.
I doubt the Acquilinis would just brush that off.
Most business savvy people would pay attention to a revenue drop.
Every dollar counts.

Reactions: mossey3535

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
That is something I didn't realize.
And I thank you for letting me know.
Nonetheless, I'm sure FA would notice if Canucks merch took a nosedive
Knowing it's a league-wide thing doesn't change my outlook

Total revenue would take a hit.
I doubt the Acquilinis would just brush that off.
Most business savvy people would pay attention to a revenue drop.
Every dollar counts.
Yes for sure the bean counters would see the individual teams merch sales and meetings with ownership about themwould likely happen. The league is also going to see an increase of sales with Seattle coming in. So us few diehards making a stand isnt going to be noticed. Cant even wear a paper bag in the rink with no fans, no fire Benning chants. The best anyone can do is renting a billboard

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Yes for sure the bean counters would see the individual teams merch sales and meetings with ownership about themwould likely happen. The league is also going to see an increase of sales with Seattle coming in. So us few diehards making a stand isnt going to be noticed. Cant even wear a paper bag in the rink with no fans, no fire Benning chants. The best anyone can do is renting a billboard
Guys guys guys.

If Belorussians can spend months on end protesting a brutal regime in the dead of winter...

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Season is over before it even started. You just know this team is gonna on a run late to f*** up draft position and to no mans land.
If they lose next game it's curtains.

Honestly, I don't mind losing like these last few games to be honest. We were outplaying the other team for the most part, so the entertainment value is there. Just that it's a bad team makeup, one that cannot win after JB gutted last year's successful version. It's on him and he will be fired in 2021. Hey, I welcome getting one of Power, Clarke, Edvinsson or Hughes to supplement this core. Even if Canucks go on a run at the end to screw it up, even Lambos would be nice. That #2 hole will not ever be fixed otherwise as the core matures. Colorado filled it with Byram by sheer bad Ottawa luck. Canucks now have an opportunity to fill it within this 56 gm weird one year realignment. I feel it's time they take advantage. Could be a blessing in disguise :dunno:

Reactions: Luckylarry

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver

The bean counters may have more influence with the Acquilinis than you are suggesting.
Anyways, the point remains the same:
No owner is going to overlook unnecessary losses.
Kraken merch sales shouldn't impact what FA decides to do with JB.

Then again, it's baffling that FA has stuck by JB this long.
I can only surmise that FA genuinely believes that JB has a legit plan.
Most HF posters have long since decided that JB is incompetent.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I guess.

Reactions: 420Canuck

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I saw Erickson play for Sweden several times in the 2010 Olympics and he was absolutely dominant. He beat world class Dmen consistently on the outside and just powered to the Net. The Sedins, even a year ago, vouched for this guy. He was effective in Boston yet, now by the eye test, he rarely seems to get a single shot on goal per game.

Are you sure you are not getting him mixed up with someone else?

Beating defenders with his skating has never been his game.

He was a garbage goal man on the Boston PP and has not been a play driver since his Dallas years.

The age argument seems logical except for the fact his first year in Van when he was younger was as bad as the current year.
Other than aging being the obvious answer, what happened to his level of play.
Is it the Greener effect to break down a player's game and try to build something he wants?
(This year, the transformation of Virtanen to a wreck like Erickson is nearly complete.)
Is it just confidence, desire?
Erickson is a shadow of the player he was and the player he once was, was similar to Miller.

Too bad anyway, as the Nucks could use 2 Millers.
Again... Are you getting him mixed with someone else? He was never a player like Miller...

Its not that complicated. He went from Bostons PP, that generated the most rebounds in the league to the Sedin PP that was among the bottom of the league when generating rebounds. Thus no garbage goals for Loui to score.

Jake Virtanen is who Jake Virtanen is. He is his own worst enemy. We absolutely should have cashed out on his production last year and traded him. He did not change anything about his game, he just had more shots go in.

upload_2021-2-22_12-17-33.png

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor

Going to be interesting seeing the messaging and comms coming from Ownership, Management, Coaching, and players once the playoffs are less than the absolute moonshot that they are now.

I mean, if they never got it in 16-17 or 17-18 when the Canucks were clearly out of it almost right away, they're not going to get it now. They literally don't understand basic math. All they see is "X points below playoff bar", calculate that to be X/2 number of wins, and don't even consider how many teams they are jockeying with or the probabilities involved.

Drance pointed out in a recent VanCast that pretty much all decisions have to be made way earlier because of COVID, too. Effectively they need to start selling now. But we all know how that's going to go. I do have faith that ownership will block a compete-now trade, though.

Apparently due to Virtanen’s age, he can be bought out at a cost of $50k in 21-22 and 500k in 22-23.

Seems like a no brainer.
If ever there was a metaphor for closing the barn door after the horse has run out, though...

Season is over before it even started. You just know this team is gonna on a run late to f*** up draft position and to no mans land.
To be fair, I think the team is better than their season so far has indicated, so it would probably be "just" within this framework. But then I already think it's idiotic that draft position is only based on the last single season, at a 1:1 ratio of badness, to enable this conclusion in the first place. It's exactly how things like those late-season runs totally muddle the picture each year, even though you can see who the bottom teams are quite easily over the last several years.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Eriksson's international scoring stats are better than either Sedin.

Daniel:
Senior totals5412253720
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Henrik:
Senior totals5312183023
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Eriksson
Senior totals662729564
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Not many rebound goals in these highlights. Didn't realize Eriksson wore an A in Dallas:

Some rebound goals here:

Anyway, his decline occurred rapidly when he came to Vancouver under Willy D and continued under Greener to the point where he doesn't look like the same player.
The guy was once a very good hockey player and he isn't anymore.
Please change the narrative he has always been crap.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Eriksson's international scoring stats are better than either Sedin.

Daniel:
Senior totals5412253720
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Henrik:
Senior totals5312183023
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Eriksson
Senior totals662729564
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Not many rebound goals in these highlights. Didn't realize Eriksson wore an A in Dallas:

Some rebound goals here:

Anyway, his decline occurred rapidly when he came to Vancouver under Willy D and continued under Greener to the point where he doesn't look like the same player.
The guy was once a very good hockey player and he isn't anymore.
Please change the narrative he has always been crap.

You can't fall off a cliff if you start at the bottom . . . and start diggin.

maxresdefault.jpg

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Wife hated it here and being away from home. She was 20 and didn’t speak English. Her husband was away on 2 week road trips. Our management should have helped her, but were too froighin’ stupid to realize the importance of pkayers’ FAMILIES,
Thank you Benning. God I can’t believe our owners thinks Mr. “my hair is turning grey, I need shoe polish” is what we need.

https://thehockeywriters.com/vancouver-canucks-screwed-up-nikita-tryamkin/

" By the end of a dismal 2016-17 season, Tryamkin was arguably one of the Canucks better defensemen. His usage by Desjardins and Lidster didn’t show it, as his average time on ice was actually less in his sophomore season than during his rookie season. Even more bizarre was Desjardins inferring that Tryamkin was the reason why the Canucks lost a game to Boston last March. When Tryamkin signed a three year contract with Avtomobilist earlier this spring, Canucks general manager Jim Benning claimed the Russian blueliner went home due to family reasons. Tryamkin confirmed during this latest interview that to be partially true, but he emphasizes that much of his decision was based on how the Canucks used him last season. Tryamkin was regularly benched in late game situations when he was in the line-up, with struggling players like Luca Sbisa, Alex Edler and Gudbrandson playing ahead of him. This isn’t to say that Tryamkin is a better overall player than those three, but he was at times. It seemed like the Canucks coaching staff was unwilling to adjust how it doled out ice time for its defense pairs according to the flow of the game and who was playing best. He finished with less ice than every blueliner on the Canucks roster except for Philip Larsen, which means the team saw Tryamkin as nothing more than a seventh defenseman. He also ended the season 14th among rookie defensemen in total ice time."

My understanding is he now wants to return to Vancouver with the same wife.
Draw your own conclusions.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
https://thehockeywriters.com/vancouver-canucks-screwed-up-nikita-tryamkin/

" By the end of a dismal 2016-17 season, Tryamkin was arguably one of the Canucks better defensemen. His usage by Desjardins and Lidster didn’t show it, as his average time on ice was actually less in his sophomore season than during his rookie season. Even more bizarre was Desjardins inferring that Tryamkin was the reason why the Canucks lost a game to Boston last March. When Tryamkin signed a three year contract with Avtomobilist earlier this spring, Canucks general manager Jim Benning claimed the Russian blueliner went home due to family reasons. Tryamkin confirmed during this latest interview that to be partially true, but he emphasizes that much of his decision was based on how the Canucks used him last season. Tryamkin was regularly benched in late game situations when he was in the line-up, with struggling players like Luca Sbisa, Alex Edler and Gudbrandson playing ahead of him. This isn’t to say that Tryamkin is a better overall player than those three, but he was at times. It seemed like the Canucks coaching staff was unwilling to adjust how it doled out ice time for its defense pairs according to the flow of the game and who was playing best. He finished with less ice than every blueliner on the Canucks roster except for Philip Larsen, which means the team saw Tryamkin as nothing more than a seventh defenseman. He also ended the season 14th among rookie defensemen in total ice time."

My understanding is he now wants to return to Vancouver with the same wife.
Draw your own conclusions.
She’s five years older. Plus, he wants to return to the NHL.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Bennings Narrative: He had family issues.

Trymakin and his agent's Narrative: The Nucks are a shambles and have no idea what they are doing.

Hmmm which Narrative seems to fit the franchise, the one that makes Benning look good or the truth.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->