Management Thread: Weisileaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
This is hard evidence, I can’t believe some posters fail to see that.

LOL I have all day, here's some more evidence that people will ignore.

He (Burke) was a "hawk" during CBA negotiations, helping draw up a plan that would penalize teams benefitting from back-diving deals. Maybe he saw this coming and was planning an exit strategy.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hockey/opinion/2013/01/brian-burke-firing-was-personal.html

Guess which NHL team was the only one punished for such deals? And who was in charge of making up that contract?

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
LOL it's a Sunday, and there's a pandemic so I have nothing better to do. I've explained the OBC/Gillis thing a zillion times (even in this thread and others), so here we go!

This is from an article after the 2011 run.

Calling Eagleson a liar, Ontario Superior Court Justice Joseph O’Brien awarded Gillis his full insurance money, damages, and court costs. (Eagleson eventually ended up in prison.) But victory came at considerable cost. Gillis had gone public with a “family squabble.” Abandoned by the cozy hockey fraternity, he was cast as a pariah. Ever since, general managers, owners, and commissioners have found themselves up against a smart, learned, calculating adversary who, for good reason, feels zero loyalty to the old-boys network and the NHL crest. “Mike’s reputation as an agent was that of an extremely hard bargainer,” says Laurence Gilman, who met him across the table when Gilman worked for the Phoenix Coyotes. “He implicitly understood his clients’ leverage and maximized it in every negotiation. He was viewed as a staunch supporter of players’ rights. And of course his reputation with the hockey establishment had been impacted by his legal pursuit of Eagleson. There were many agents and club executives who hoped he’d go away.”

Inside the Mind of Vancouver Canucks GM Mike Gillis

I don't have to mention Burke again do I? People underestimate how much pull he has in the OBC, in fact he's pretty much the emperor. The evidence is all over for that.

The whole Backes/Bernier pissing match really set off John Davidson, who again is a pretty powerful member of the OBC. Davidson has been president of the Blues, Blue Jackets and Rangers, and also an influential member of the OBC.

Enough evidence for you?
I had a 3 paragraph reply just disappear so I’ll just say thanks before the page refreshes again.

Edit* I wasn’t suggesting there wasn’t evidence. I was looking for specifics. A lot of your support is basically Brian Burke. A little bit John Davidson and then the industry at large.

I can understand why owners want to hire someone who is ingrained in league culture and part of the network. The nhl is a closed loop club and owners want to feel a part of that. Totally understandable.

What I don’t understand is why someone who they say has no loyalty to anyone else but his client/club and is a hard bargainer with results in both aspects to back up his excellence wouldn’t be sought after. If you want to win and b successful and not just be part of the club you need competitive advantages.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bubbles

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
And this is we’re Gillis failed his tenure as GM, he never worked on his PR skills and communication. He didn’t fall in line with the OBC because he was an arrogant smug who did it his way, not their way. That probably rubbed a lot of people wrong, you know why Benning will get the benefit of the doubt? Because he has connections, he has people who were just like him who worked his way up in the NHL. He worked as a scout in Buffalo, got his assistant GM position in Boston with fellow OBC members Peter Chiarelli, Jeremy Jacobs, Cam Neely. Jim Benning isn’t stupid when it comes to his communication skills, you think once he’s fired in Vancouver he won’t get another job? I’m sure one of his OBC members will find him something.

You wonder why Nonis kept on getting jobs after Vancouver? Because he’s connected to OG OBC member Brian Burke...it won’t matter if Nonis was a sack of shit GM, he will still keep getting jobs.

Gillis got his law degree, became a player agent and then was handed the GM position in Vancouver. He was never a scout, never an assistant GM...just a player agent. Never worked from the ground up, was handed to him by Aquaman.
It's not what you know, it's who you know.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I also seem to recall a few posters here bragging that this season, it was Benning's team. Some posters would say only Edler remained from previous regimes (leaving out Horvat for some inexplicable reason, although PoM loves playing the "Benning developed him!" card which is asinine). There were quite a few people smugly bragging about how improved our roster was and how Jim Benning had constructed this entire roster. Where are they now?
Their silence is deafening.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I also seem to recall a few posters here bragging that this season, it was Benning's team. Some posters would say only Edler remained from previous regimes (leaving out Horvat for some inexplicable reason, although PoM loves playing the "Benning developed him!" card which is asinine). There were quite a few people smugly bragging about how improved our roster was and how Jim Benning had constructed this entire roster. Where are they now?
220px-Metallica_-_St._Anger_cover.jpg

Sedin's each won the Art Ross trophy under Gilligan's watch. Hank also won the Hart trophy under Gilligan's watch. Daniel won the Ted Lindsay trophy under Gilligan's watch. He developed them!:laugh:
Ryan Kesler won the Selke trophy under Gilligan's watch. He developed him!:laugh:

Brings up an argument to support Jethro Bodine, but conveniently ignores same illogic in reference to Gillis.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
220px-Metallica_-_St._Anger_cover.jpg

Sedin's each won the Art Ross trophy under Gilligan's watch. Hank also won the Hart trophy under Gilligan's watch. Daniel won the Ted Lindsay trophy under Gilligan's watch. He developed them!:laugh:
Ryan Kesler won the Selke trophy under Gilligan's watch. He developed him!:laugh:

Brings up an argument to support Jethro Bodine, but conveniently ignores same illogic in reference to Gillis.

I think the argument goes that those players were good enough to reach those heights on their own accord, kinduv like how Edmonton couldn't f*** up McDavid's development.

But Horvat would've been a 3c at best without Benning's brilliant mentorpede to develop Horvat.

I'm not saying it's a good argument. I just think that's the argument.

Reactions: Hit the post

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
I think the argument goes that those players were good enough to reach those heights on their own accord, kinduv like how Edmonton couldn't f*** up McDavid's development.

But Horvat would've been a 3c at best without Benning's brilliant mentorpede to develop Horvat.

I'm not saying it's a good argument. I just think that's the argument.
I personally credit Brandon “the mentor” Prust for coming in and showing Bo how to play the right way, how to be a good teammate and how to have good off ice habits.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Jeff Paterson
@patersonjeff

Saturday number crunching: the past 10 #Canucks
games, the team has 1 assist from its bottom 3C (Horvat set up Benn for 1-0 goal in Calgary)

I assume he means all 3 bottom centres.

This is good right...

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
I believe the first couple years he was still getting paid by the Canucks, was burnt out, and wasn't trying to get back into the league. So he didn't strike when the iron was hot, and became yesterdays news a bit.

He's also bad at self promotion and bad at dealing with the media, who he doesn't like. Opposite of Burke.

I suspect he's also demanding total control of hockey operations, which some teams may not be willing to give.

I don't particularly believe that there's some OBC conspiracy against him and that he's screwed because Brian Burke doesn't like him. Lots of people hate Burke, too.
I don’t disagree with a lot of what you’re saying, I just don’t buy that taking on Eagleson and by extension, the crew of connected old boys in the professional hockey world is simply going to be forgotten. People who take on and challenge power in real ways are often punished the entire rest of their entire careers for doing it- no matter how ethical their fight was.

Reactions: Bubbles

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC

Looks like further confirmation that Benning has been completely frozen. Aqua will not allow Benning to do anything, makes you wonder if something's on the horizon

He wouldn't allow Benning to extend Tanev past 2 years, and as a result Benning was targeted by Vegas to take on a $5.9 mil x 5 year contract because of the hole losing Tanev caused due to the initial restriction.

Get blueberries away from this team.

Last edited:

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
He wouldn't allow Benning to extend Tanev past 2 years, and as a result Benning was targeted by Vegas to take on a $5.9 mil x 5 year contract because of the hole losing Tanev caused due to the initial restriction.

Get blueberries away from this team.

He really needs to let go.

200.gif

Reactions: lindgren

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
It looks like that...but why give Holtby a stupid contract and sign JV as well?

I'm the last to defend Benning of the Aquilinis, but given the way they screwed the cap structure the year both Petersson and Hughes are up for renewal I wouldn't blame them for fighting tooth and nail to try to get as much cap space next year.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
It looks like that...but why give Holtby a stupid contract and sign JV as well?

The hope would be that ownership's faith in Benning has dramatically changed since those contracts were signed.

The narrative that Aqualini was tightening pursestrings this off-season in terms of player salary was a media-driven myth. They tried to sign the most expensive goalie, got the 2nd most expensive one. Tried to trade for OEL, traded for Schmidt. Didn't buy anyone out despite it saving real money. The only apparent limitation was the self-harm Benning had caused to the Canucks in the past.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I was amazed to learn that Virtanen had a back diving contract like Holtby yesterday, tanking his value so he can't really be traded now :laugh:

...Though I can't decide if this one is agents taking Benning for a run like usual (going to be a lot of escrow clawback on this season) or if it was something Aquilini pushed for, or a combination of the two.

Reactions: m9

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I was amazed to learn that Virtanen had a back diving contract like Holtby yesterday, tanking his value so he can't really be traded now :laugh:

...Though I can't decide if this one is agents taking Benning for a run like usual (going to be a lot of escrow clawback on this season) or if it was something Aquilini pushed for, or a combination of the two.

I thought Dayal or someone mentioned something yesterday on 650 (might have been a repeat broadcast) about Virtanen's contract and how a potential buyout would allow another club to essentially take Jake for a test drive for one season. Maybe I misheard.

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
I'm the last to defend Benning of the Aquilinis, but given the way they screwed the cap structure the year both Petersson and Hughes are up for renewal I wouldn't blame them for fighting tooth and nail to try to get as much cap space next year.

I mean it doesn't have to be a mystery. What's stopping Benning from talking to Hughe's/Petey's agent right now to get ballpark numbers on expectations.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
He didn't suffer fools gladly.

Like the owner has done for the last SEVEN EFFIN' YEARS!!!

PS you may not have noticed but I allcapped and bolded the seven years and added some exclamation points. Because it's been seven effin years!
Actually... he DID suffer fools gladly... provided they paid him a salary.

Reactions: I am toxic

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
He didn't suffer fools gladly.

Like the owner has done for the last SEVEN EFFIN' YEARS!!!

PS you may not have noticed but I allcapped and bolded the seven years and added some exclamation points. Because it's been seven effin years!
Players couldn't even get a drink because Fredo was going out with two cocktail waitresses at a time!

So Linden had to straighten him out.

That's when Michael stepped in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->