Management Thread: Weisileaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
He was definitely a faller, yes. Was a top-5 pick all year and then made a couple mistakes at the U-18s and scouts overreacted to a small sample size.

BYhdDjICEAAlF5o.jpg:large

That was in the old Chychrun thread. He was 15 years old in this picture.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Why did Chychrun fall so much? He outproduced Juolevi, despite 5 London players having more points than Sarnia's leading scorer. 3 of them had over 100 points. Juolevi's plus minus was only better by 3 being on a dominant, memorial cup winning team. Was it the world juniors that gave Juolevi the edge?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Could i be thinking of him being really highly rated super early, then falling to his draft neighbourhood over time? Otherwise I remembered his story wrong.

my memory of draft day was being terrified benning would force a dman with the 5 pick. and i was terrified it was going to be chychrun, who was being talked about as a toxic asset.

but even then it seemed like everyone expected him to go top ten. feel like the commentators were flabbergasted when jake bean was taken ahead of him.

Reactions: mossey3535

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Could i be thinking of him being really highly rated super early, then falling to his draft neighbourhood over time? Otherwise I remembered his story wrong.

Chychrun and Liljegren had very similar paths to the draft. Both were top 2 picks leading into their draft year and then being drafted mid 1st tround.

Last edited:

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
my memory of draft day was being terrified benning would force a dman with the 5 pick. and i was terrified it was going to be chychrun, who was being talked about as a toxic asset.

but even then it seemed like everyone expected him to go top ten. feel like the commentators were flabbergasted when jake bean was taken ahead of him.

Always - always - go toxic.

tenor.gif

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Chew on this.

(barring any more stupid signings , which we likely don’t have the room to do)

the year of 2023-2024

we won’t have

Luongo 3.1M
Sutter 4.3M
Virtanen 2.5M
Beagle 3M
Eriksson 6M
Roussell 3M

that’s over 22M of cap space to use and we lose nothing that helps our team.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
At one point Chychrun we ranked 2nd overall. He was absolutely in the top 10 mix.

He was definitely a faller, yes. Was a top-5 pick all year and then made a couple mistakes at the U-18s and scouts overreacted to a small sample size.

That's the thing. Chychrun was in contention to be drafted 2nd overall and was considered a potential #1 Dman early on. A ton was expected of him but he had an average draft eligible season even by his own accounts. I'm not so sure it was just the U-18s but there seemed to be a lot of scouts questioning his hockey sense.

Scouts hate when guys are fully developed physically, makes them question their upside. Obviously a big miss on Chychrun.

Well scouts don't hate guys who are close to being fully developed that go onto dominate in their draft eligible year. Tavares ended all Tavares vs Hedman questions with a dominant WJC. Lafreniere did the same thing vis a vis Byfield. When you are close to fully developed you're expected to dominate and if you don't scouts do question that player's upside.

I actually thought at the time that if our scouts thought Chychrun had #1 Dman potential you draft him. Guess they didn't.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
What plan is Ownership referring to?

Unfortunately, they seem like the dullest tools in the shed when it come to asset management and maintaining franchise valuation.

Imagine going on twitter and stating they are sticking to a plan that has resulted in a full out tank in the 7th year of the retooling and that this plan also anticipated a 40% free-fall in franchise value.

If an actual plan exist, it sounds much like Napoleon's plan of invading Russia during the Winter.

What could wrong?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
What plan is Ownership referring to?

Unfortunately, they seem like the dullest tools in the shed when it come to asset management and maintaining franchise valuation.

Imagine going on twitter and stating they are sticking to a plan that has resulted in a full out tank in the 7th year of the retooling and that this plan also anticipated a 40% free-fall in franchise value.

If an actual plan exist, it sounds much like Napoleon's plan of invading Russia during the Winter.

What could wrong?
Totally agree that our team’s vision is set by the owner, and it’s seriously blurred. Clearly no quality, experienced hockey mind will work for our owner.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Chew on this.

(barring any more stupid signings , which we likely don’t have the room to do)

the year of 2023-2024

we won’t have

Luongo 3.1M
Sutter 4.3M
Virtanen 2.5M
Beagle 3M
Eriksson 6M
Roussell 3M

that’s over 22M of cap space to use and we lose nothing that helps our team.

How much of that will be going to Pettersson, Hughes, Demko, and Boeser by that time?

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Why did Chychrun fall so much? He outproduced Juolevi, despite 5 London players having more points than Sarnia's leading scorer. 3 of them had over 100 points. Juolevi's plus minus was only better by 3 being on a dominant, memorial cup winning team. Was it the world juniors that gave Juolevi the edge?

It was more of a case that Chychrun was known to scouts at the age of 14 or 15, and was once considered the no. 1 prospect available for the draft. The scrutiny was higher, and so more scouts would pick at deficiencies much more closely than other prospects. He was perceived as reaching his ceiling, while other prospects had more "potential".

He was always going to be a solid NHLer. But GMs always chase potential, and that's why he "dropped". And like others have said, stupid GMs take one or two bad games as gospel, instead of looking at the whole picture.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Does anyone know who the agents or agencies were when Benning and Weisbrod signed:

Erickson
Beagle
Ferland
Roussel
Sutter
Meyers
Baertschi
Holtby
Hamonic
Gagner

I would like to know if there is a pattern.​

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Petey = 8 or 9
Hughes = 7 or 8
Boeser = 8 or 9
Demko = 4 or 5
I’m guessing these four guys are collecting 27-32 million.

So in other words we need to hope the GM doesn't give out more bad contracts just to be able to sign our core. Anytime Benning has had cap space he has signed bad contracts. It's been 7 years. I don't know how anyone can think this won't continue to be a problem. We should have dumped this guy over half a decade ago.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
How much of that will be going to Pettersson, Hughes, Demko, and Boeser by that time?

Hughes can’t play defense , so that’s a fair negotiating point for a competent manager.

EP40 having a rough year , maybe shaved a million or 2 off what he would have gotten if negotiated last year.

Both the above are cost controlled as RFAs

BB6 is different, he’s getting a raise.

TD35 if he wants big dollars .... seeeeee ya! He’s pretty .... average. Nothing worth paying a premium for. No better than a goalie you can get for 3-4 M

Horvat is a funny one to me. By then his contract is ending and he may not wanna play on a perennial loser. He could test free agency and move on.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
So in other words we need to hope the GM doesn't give out more bad contracts just to be able to sign our core. Anytime Benning has had cap space he has signed bad contracts. It's been 7 years. I don't know how anyone can think this won't continue to be a problem. We should have dumped this guy over half a decade ago.

He doesn’t have the ability too. He’s handcuffed by a flat cap and his previous f*** ups. He literally has no space till 2023.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Who is Erickson's agent?

I find it hard to believe that they have not sent him to Utica to reside in a dungy motel with all his cash so he can ponder his future.

His agent must be big and powerful.

BTW: It is odd that successive UFA signing fall to Erickson's disease; first Beagle, and now Roussel is almost indistinguishable from Erickson in his play and output.

Who's next?

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
Hughes can’t play defense , so that’s a fair negotiating point for a competent manager.

EP40 having a rough year , maybe shaved a million or 2 off what he would have gotten if negotiated last year.

Both the above are cost controlled as RFAs

BB6 is different, he’s getting a raise.

TD35 if he wants big dollars .... seeeeee ya! He’s pretty .... average. Nothing worth paying a premium for. No better than a goalie you can get for 3-4 M

Horvat is a funny one to me. By then his contract is ending and he may not wanna play on a perennial loser. He could test free agency and move on.

When's the last time a team's captain left in free agency? Was Suter the captain of Nashville?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->