Management Thread: There Is No Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
'refuse to acknowledge that Benning inherited a stocked prospect pool - speaks volumes.'

This is simply a difference of opinion. Imo Benning did not inherit a very good stock of prospects, and an argument can be made that he didn't get a lot to work with. It's like you are saying refuse to acknowledge that I'm right and you're wrong. It's a difference of opinion.

No.

If I say that human caused climate change is a fact, and someone else disagrees, that's not a difference of opinions.

They're just wrong, and either willfully promoting a false agenda, or ignorantly duped into repeating one.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
The problem is Quinn Hughes is trotted around this market like a franchise changing player when he's more likely a Kevin Shattenkirk or Keith Yandle guy going forward. It gives people this idea that Benning is a GOAT drafter (AINEC) !!!

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
'refuse to acknowledge that Benning inherited a stocked prospect pool - speaks volumes.'

This is simply a difference of opinion. Imo Benning did not inherit a very good stock of prospects, and an argument can be made that he didn't get a lot to work with. It's like you are saying refuse to acknowledge that I'm right and you're wrong. It's a difference of opinion.

i agree, he didn't inherit a "very good" stock of prospects. but he certainly inherited something. horvat, marky, tanev, and kassian were all 24 or younger, eddie lack was 26, only one year older than demko is now. there is significant value there.

but just as importantly, benning had these assets (and more) at his disposal—

kesler, who would be a selke finalist in two of the next three seasons and go to game 6 and game 7 of the WCF

garrison, who would be tampa's #3 for the next two years, reaching the finals in year one, and game 7 of the ECF in year two

kesler was traded for bonino, who in the two years after he was traded scored 25 points over back-to-back cup runs

him turning that into sbisa, gudbranson/pearson, and linden vey is on him.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
i agree, he didn't inherit a "very good" stock of prospects. but he certainly inherited something. horvat, marky, tanev, and kassian were all 24 or younger, eddie lack was 26, only one year older than demko is now. there is significant value there.

but just as importantly, benning had these assets (and more) at his disposal—

kesler, who would be a selke finalist in two of the next three seasons and go to game 6 and game 7 of the WCF

garrison, who would be tampa's #3 for the next two years, reaching the finals in year one, and game 7 of the ECF in year two

kesler was traded for bonino, who in the two years after he was traded scored 25 points over back-to-back cup runs

him turning that into sbisa, gudbranson/pearson, and linden vey is on him.
Didn't have *all* or most the default draft picks at his disposal (ie., Gillis didn't mortgage away the future by dealing all of the picks that Benning could've otherwise used). Actually, it seems like Benning, managing a rebuilding team, has dealt away more picks during his tenure than Gillis.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
No.

If I say that human caused climate change is a fact, and someone else disagrees, that's not a difference of opinions.
This is true. I think the disconnect here is that you aren't saying climate change is a fact but that Benning inherited a stocked prospect pool.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Well, yes imo the draft has given the team a good young talent pool to work with moving forward. Whether it Benning or a potato, whether Benning's a mad genius or it's just pure luck, the team has rebuilt (imo). The next GM to come in will have lots of good pieces to work with imo.

we don’t have a number one dman; we don’t have a number one goalie and our best center/ franchise player has missed on average 18 games a year in his first 3 seasons and can legit be considered injury prone at this point so how have we rebuilt?

our best winger is going to need a qualifying offer on 7.5 million next off season if I’m not mistaken so yea I don’t see us as rebuilt.

full disclosure I’ll bet that horvat and or Miller aren’t on this team after the deadline next season so that’s why I’m not counting them

Reactions: Erub ot Ynligom

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
we don’t have a number one dman; we don’t have a number one goalie and our best center/ franchise player has missed on average 18 games a year in his first 3 seasons and can legit be considered injury prone at this point so how have we rebuilt?

our best winger is going to need a qualifying offer on 7.5 million next off season if I’m not mistaken so yea I don’t see us as rebuilt.

full disclosure I’ll bet that horvat and or Miller aren’t on this team after the deadline next season so that’s why I’m not counting them

Then I guess you better hope that the GM that comes in will trade Pettersson Hughes and Demko for 1st round draft picks so he can start rebuilding all over again. It would be a huge gamble to give up on those players to try and improve on them though.

That's not the route I would want to take.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
I don’t think Courtnall is interested in being the PHO, but how about he takes a small ownership position in the club and replaces FAQ as the chairman? The Aquilinis can fade into the background, which I think they might prefer.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Then I guess you better hope that the GM that comes in will trade Pettersson Hughes and Demko for 1st round draft picks so he can start rebuilding all over again. It would be a huge gamble to give up on those players to try and improve on them though.

That's not the route I would want to take.

so on a roster of 21 players you think having those 3 alone is considered rebuilt?

Reactions: SamInVan and vanuck

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I don’t think Courtnall is interested in being the PHO, but how about he takes a small ownership position in the club and replaces FAQ as the chairman? The Aquilinis can fade into the background, which I think they might prefer.

I doubt that's what Francesco prefers, but perhaps Luigi can convince him that's what is best.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
so on a roster of 21 players you think having those 3 alone is considered rebuilt?

No. I brought those 3 up because that's the areas you brought up. It sounded like you weren't happy with Pettersson, no #1 D, and goaltending. The only way to address those concerns would be to trade those guys. I could be misinterpreting what you said though.

How would you start a new rebuild?

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
No. I brought those 3 up because that's the areas you brought up. It sounded like you weren't happy with Pettersson, no #1 D, and goaltending. The only way to address those concerns would be to trade those guys. I could be misinterpreting what you said though.

Fire Benning.

Reactions: vanuck and mathonwy

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
That's the presumption in a new rebuild.

Would you start a new rebuild?

We can keep the young core pieces, such as Horvat Hughes Boeser Pete and Hoglander, along with Demko.

Miller, MAYBE.

Everyone else is expendable.

A GM who's not a gibbering lunatic would help a lot.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
we’re reaching a point where you have to start looking at trading Horvat if contending isn’t in the near future.

Trading a captain beloved by all might be a bad move. But I agree that timeline is starting to add urgency to our so-called cup window.

Thanks Jim for setting the team up to potentially waste the prime years of our beloved captain.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site

when you say Has it generally means in the past this meaning it’s complete which is ridiculous.

I never said we had to trade any of them just that we don’t have a 1d/1g/1c which should be the aim of any rebuild.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
when you say Has it generally means in the past this meaning it’s complete which is ridiculous.

I never said we had to trade any of them just that we don’t have a 1d/1g/1c which should be the aim of any rebuild.

Ok, fair enough. How would you go about acquiring these pieces? I guess you would be counting on being in a high draft position for the next 3 or 4 drafts? I think the Canucks will at least be good enough to finish above the bottom 12 (actually a lot higher than that), so it will make it difficult to get these types of players. Imo.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
The problem is Quinn Hughes is trotted around this market like a franchise changing player when he's more likely a Kevin Shattenkirk or Keith Yandle guy going forward. It gives people this idea that Benning is a GOAT drafter (AINEC) !!!

Wow a new Member. Welcome my friend welcome. We haven’t had one in ages, Benning ensured that. I’m sure once proper new management comes in this place will be lively and kicking again.

Reactions: Fire Benning
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad