Management Thread: There Is No Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
"Benning's great because the team drafted well during his tenure!" is a poorly conceived opinion that is corrected by 20 posters the moment it appears. "Reddit is full of Benning shills right now," and for that matter "The team actually drafted better under Gillis" are objectively false statements that are either ignored by or meet with some level of agreement from those same posters. I think it's obvious why a message board can accommodate one and not the other.

There are still several JB supporters on Reddit. If you participate on Reddit at all, you know the opinions on Reddit really depend on what the mood is that day.

I'm not going to repeat myself anymore, but if you are an active participant on Reddit Canucks, you know that there have been several JB shills up to this point.

Reddit is a hivemind message board. One person makes a statement, and even if it's wrong, as long as it's parroted and upvoted, it becomes the only acceptable opinion at the time. The opinions constantly change and the mood is constantly changing.

Example: Canucks after a hard fought win: Wow I love what JB did in the offseason, Schmidt was great today and such a steal! +50 upvotes

Next game after a blowout: Wow, JB really fumbled the offseason. Schmidt has been disappointing so far! +50 upvotes.

Just because there have been some posts and some upvotes doesn't mean there is no Benning shilling going on.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Because you're deliberately exaggerating, and the preponderance of posters who do this and accept and encourage similar exaggerations from others despite it being unnecessary because their general position is more or less correct is fundamentally changing and worsening this board.
You haven't demonstrated that.

You falsified what he wrote.

That you take issue with an accurate portrayal of the Benning shilling that factually was lapped up and repeated ad nauseam on reddit the past several years - and is now dying the death it should have long ago - while remaining silent on the bull shit but Gillis/but drafting/but cap space doesn't matter/refuse to acknowledge that Benning inherited a stocked prospect pool - speaks volumes.

HFCanucks have learned a lot these past several years of what good faith intellectually honest debating looks like, using facts, reasoning, and logic.

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
So three games left for Benning and Green? IS thursday the day of the axe?

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
'refuse to acknowledge that Benning inherited a stocked prospect pool - speaks volumes.'

This is simply a difference of opinion. Imo Benning did not inherit a very good stock of prospects, and an argument can be made that he didn't get a lot to work with. It's like you are saying refuse to acknowledge that I'm right and you're wrong. It's a difference of opinion.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
You haven't demonstrated that.

You falsified what he wrote.

That you take issue with an accurate portrayal of the Benning shilling that factually was lapped up and repeated ad nauseam on reddit the past several years - and is now dying the death it should have long ago - while remaining silent on the bull shit but Gillis/but drafting/but cap space doesn't matter/refuse to acknowledge that Benning inherited a stocked prospect pool - speaks volumes.

HFCanucks have learned a lot these past several years of what good faith intellectually honest debating looks like, using facts, reasoning, and logic.

100%

Why even take that hill to die on? There are 1000 other things to argue about.

Let's just all have a beer and do a virtual cheers when this is all said and done.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
'refuse to acknowledge that Benning inherited a stocked prospect pool - speaks volumes.'

This is simply a difference of opinion. Imo Benning did not inherit a very good stock of prospects, and an argument can be made that he didn't get a lot to work with. It's like you are saying refuse to acknowledge that I'm right and you're wrong. It's a difference of opinion.

And here comes the "But Gillis!" card again, played right along side "Benning can draft!" card, the only things that come remotely close to even pretend to be Benning's silver lining on a sundae made of turd.

Whether or not he had a lot to work with is irrelevant when you can't produce a truly playoff calibre team after 7 f***ing years.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
The notion that 'Benning didn't have much to work with!" kinda showcases Benning's incompetence even more. Benning inherited a core that was highly sought after around the league and absolutely dropped the ball in moving it for futures so it appears that he didn't have anything to work with but any competent GM could have brought back prime assets for Kesler, Edler, Hamhuis, Garrison, Bieksa etc instead Benning ended up with Luca Sbisa, Erik Gudbranson and Brandon Sutter.

Say you move Kesler for a 1st and Theodore at the bare minimum you're walking into a situation with Bo Horvat, Christopher Tanev, Jacob Markstrom, Shea Theodore, the 6th overall pick, 24th overall pick and an ample amount of cap room. That's an excellent start to a rebuild.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
And here comes the "But Gillis!" card again, played right along side "Benning can draft!" card, the only things that come remotely close to even pretend to be Benning's silver lining on a sundae made of turd.

Whether or not he had a lot to work with is irrelevant when you can't produce a truly playoff calibre team after 7 f***ing years.

Well, yes imo the draft has given the team a good young talent pool to work with moving forward. Whether it Benning or a potato, whether Benning's a mad genius or it's just pure luck, the team has rebuilt (imo). The next GM to come in will have lots of good pieces to work with imo.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Well, yes imo the draft has given the team a good young talent pool to work with moving forward. Whether it Benning or a potato, whether Benning's a mad genius or it's just pure luck, the team has rebuilt (imo). The next GM to come in will have lots of good pieces to work with imo.
The new GM in Buffalo has a ton of good pieces to work with, doesn't mean the previous one wasn't a complete buffoon. The NHL rewards bad teams with high draft picks, it's not a hard concept to grasp.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

For a GM who's suppose to be a draft elder GOD...

1) he screwed up both OJ and JV picks. No, this is not hindsight, not the least bit.
2) he throw picks out like candy.

Also, a team is way more than just some young talents. If it was that easy, that Albertan team would not have been such an epic embarrassment for the last decade, until recently. And Buffalo would not be having a captain who's looking for the door.

Outside of Hughes, which defenseman can hold the line?

In playoffs, bottom 6 forwards make a massive difference, how're we doing with that?

Do we have any extra draft picks?

How do you want to deal with Pearson, Myers, Roussell, and JV's contracts?

Reactions: vanuck

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
I'll admit to being kinda drunk but I don't know what you're talking about.

Anyway... I wish it were true.
Taj is clearly trolling man, the Point Roberts thing was the giveaway. I look forward to interacting with you more man, like I said I like your work and think you're one of the best posters on here !

Reactions: vancityluongo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->