Management Thread - Read OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
And you guys refuse to acknowledge it because it hurts

Imagine spending over 5 years defending a guy failing as bad as this and clinging onto the two best (only?) good things he's done in Pettersson and Boeser ... and one of those guys he didn't want to draft and was overruled and the other was only drafted as a backup plan to dealing that pick away in a franchise-crippling deal for Milan Lucic that he thought had sorted only to be outbid.

Reactions: vanuck and timw33

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
**** me. Might have saved us, that Lucic deal is ugly, but I really like Jesse Puljujarvi. I think that playing with Elias Pettersson might have been just what he needed
Sorry,I was just about to edit..I believe he nixed a deal with the Oilers, but not certain what the return was (thats speculation)

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Is there weight to this rumour that Loui Eriksson blocked a trade to Edmonton for Lucic and Puljujarvi?

I've heard nothing about Puljujarvi being involved or what the sweetener was either way. But yes, Eriksson blocked a deal to Edmonton for Lucic.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Imagine spending over 5 years defending a guy failing as bad as this and clinging onto the two best (only?) good things he's done in Pettersson and Boeser ... and one of those guys he didn't want to draft and was overruled and the other was only drafted as a backup plan to dealing that pick away in a franchise-crippling deal for Milan Lucic that he thought had sorted only to be outbid.
I don’t even know why at this point anyone wants to keep Benning around. It’s almost like not being wrong is more important than having your team being better off. It’s ducking stupid.

Reactions: vanuck

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
GMs have final say over who gets drafted, can't be overruled by anyone, and draft the players they eventually conclude will help the team and by extension their job security the most. Benning listened to his scouts and chose to draft Pettersson. You can argue all you want about the significance of this, but it's what happened.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
GMs have final say over who gets drafted, can't be overruled by anyone, and draft the players they eventually conclude will help the team and by extension their job security the most. Benning listened to his scouts and chose to draft Pettersson. You can argue all you want about the significance of this, but it's what happened.

Benning absolutely answered to Trevor Linden at that point and absolutely could be overruled by him. And reportedly what happened is that there was a deadlock and heavy debate between the WHL scouts (including Benning's son) who Benning was siding with and the rest of the staff led by Brackett and Gradin who wanted Pettersson, and Linden moderated and went with Brackett. And then publicly came out after the draft crediting Brackett and his hard work for the pick while omitting any mention of Benning.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Benning absolutely answered to Trevor Linden at that point and absolutely could be overruled by him. And reportedly what happened is that there was a deadlock and heavy debate between the WHL scouts (including Benning's son) who Benning was siding with and the rest of the staff led by Brackett and Gradin who wanted Pettersson, and Linden moderated and went with Brackett. And then publicly came out after the draft crediting Brackett and his hard work for the pick while omitting any mention of Benning.

Source?

Benning hasn't been "credited" publicly for any pick, except maybe Gunnarsson.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I recall this whole “Benning didn’t want Pettersson” line of conversation occurring here, but I can’t remember what the source was on it.

JD Burke in an interview on these boards plus a source @Jyrki21 trusts quoting a high-profile individual inside the scouting staff. I wouldn’t take the 2nd source on its own but when it confirms another accredited media source it’s hard to discount.

Plus this wasn’t out of left field. A few of us had been speculating this was the case for a year based on the circumstantial evidence and then had it confirmed.

Reactions: Jyrki21 and timw33

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Of course GM’s can be overruled, there is something called an owner and a team president who are the GM’s boss. Linden, aka Benning’s boss, overruled him and drafted Peterson. Not hard to understand.

Reactions: The Drop

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
JD Burke in an interview on these boards plus a source @Jyrki21 trusts quoting a high-profile individual inside the scouting staff. I wouldn’t take the 2nd source on its own but when it confirms another accredited media source it’s hard to discount.

Plus this wasn’t out of left field. A few of us had been speculating this was the case for a year based on the circumstantial evidence and then had it confirmed.

Well - personally I would be more inclined to believe Jyrki than JD Burke. Burke seems like a nice fellow, but I can’t recall him ever legitimately breaking a story. His claim to fame in my mind is the “Miller for the 9th overall” proposal which frankly sounds unbelievable.

I don’t know. The sources on this particular story seem like a bit of stretch - and both of those stories seem so significant, it would boggle my mind that McKenzie, Friedman or even our own local rumour sleuth Dhaliwal didn’t pick up on it.

TL;DR - plenty of valid, credible reasons to hate on the work Jim has done in Vancouver. My personal opinion is that this one is a bit thin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad